HPTV This Morning - RP Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
While flipping channels this morning I stumbled across the last minute of a segment about oil on Horsepower TV. Apparently they dyno'd a high performance engine with two oils, the secong being Royal Purple (don't now what the first was because I started watching too late). Anyway, they stated that the dyno run with Royal Purple yielded +8 hp and +6 ft lbs. Any thoughts? Did anyone else see it? I don't use RP and probably never will but I am curious about the subject of oil and how different brands or compositions may or may not contribute to power.

here are some claims from RP

* Increases horsepower and torque by as much as 3%
* Reduces engine wear by as much as 80%
* Improves fuel economy by as much as 5%
* Reduces engine heat by as much as 10%
* Reduces emissions by up to 20% or more

lots of "as much as" and "up to" which doesn't mean anything

But the claim of 80% reduced wear and 20% less emissions is a joke.

why would someone buy this oil with such wild claims.

I tried it in a 2004 MINI and did not notice any difference from the factory BMW fill. Maybe it is better, but I have my doubts, Tim

There have been tests with RP that show HP going up, and also going down .
Viscosity is the main ingredient for HP changes.
Dyno runs are never the same - all sorts of minor things can change and reflect in the outcome.

I don't even pay attention to dyno/oil results anymore. Just too many variables.

Originally Posted By: rn2fine
While flipping channels this morning I stumbled across the last minute of a segment about oil on Horsepower TV. Apparently they dyno'd a high performance engine with two oils, the secong being Royal Purple (don't now what the first was because I started watching too late). Anyway, they stated that the dyno run with Royal Purple yielded +8 hp and +6 ft lbs. Any thoughts? Did anyone else see it? I don't use RP and probably never will but I am curious about the subject of oil and how different brands or compositions may or may not contribute to power.

I saw the demonstration. The first oil was O'Reily 10w30 conventional and the second was RP 5w30 synthetic. In my humble opinion,the oil weights should have been the same.

Agreed, unless the weights are the same, there is no point in even doing the test.

Here is what I would like to see: Test with about 5 different 5-30 conventional oils, and 5 different synthetic 5-30's. That should give some meaningful data.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Oil does NOT increase horsepower - oil doesn't ADD power.....yeah I know, try a dyno run with NO oil.

Seriously someone please do a double blind study.

They are assuming their viewers are blind to the difference between meaningful testing and a paid for hype job, so it was at least a single blind test.
grin2.gif

And air filters don't flow, they restrict, but more flow sounds sexier than less restriction. Might as well call resistors conductors too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back