HPL vs TGMO

I've been running TGMO with 5K OCIs in my Toyota's since new. Been thinking about switching to HPL Premium Plus. Is HPL that much better to warrant the roughly double the cost per quart compared to TGMO? What's so great about HPL's base oils and add pack to justify the cost increase?

Last edited:
Currently running TGMO in my Toyota's. Been thinking about switching to HPL Premium Plus. Is HPL that much better to warrant the roughly double the cost per quart compared to TGMO? What's so great about HPL's base oils and add pack to justify the cost increase?
The benefits of HPL mostly lie in the extended drain capability of the oil with excellent engine cleanliness. In my opinion, for moderate OE drains you'll see little benefit and it won't be worth it. 5k in a Toyota is nothing. If you go the EP or HPL route, I would extend the drain a bit.

Last edited:
After the 15% discount code and including shipping, it's not quite twice the cost. HPL also has 0W-16 in the premium line.

With that extra cost, you're getting a more robust DI pack with a starting TBN near double that of the TGMO. Combined with the higher end PAO/POE/AN base oil blend, this can allow you to double the oil change interval which makes the cost a wash. You get a higher starting KV100 and HTHS for the same 0W-16. The group IV/V base oil also provides better shear stability and thermal stability while also being less volatile. You also get better cleaning. To top it off, you get great customer service with an active forum sponsor.

Whether or not all of that is worth it is a personal choice. I personally prefer the longer intervals, better cleaning, and good customer service from HPL compared to Idemitsu.

You've not mentioned anything about the operational conditions or environment, so I'm going to assume they would be "normal" and not stupidly extreme. I'm going with 5k mile "normal" OCIs. While I believe that HPL is an outstanding product line with proven excellent customer service ...

It is very probable that no premium lube is worth the cost for 5k miles in your Toyotas. Go get some ST or Kirkland or some other house brand if 5k mile OCIs are your limit. Seriously; I'm not bashing top-end lubes. You're not doing anything but wasting money by changing oil every 5k miles, so you might as well reduce the waste by purchasing some value-based products. In short-to-moderate OCIs, house brands are proven to be every bit as capable and while your engine will never know the difference, your wallet will be thanking you.

Or, if you do feel compelled to buy the top-end lubes, then start doing UOAs and slowly extending your OCIs to a point where you'll get some ROI from the investment.

Or, ignore this advice, go with your gut rather than your brain, and continue to waste money; that's what most BITOGers would do!

FWIW - My Tundra requires 5K intervals in normal use because it is flex fuel. That's what Toyota specifies in the manual.

Now, I haven't put E85 in the truck for a couple of years, since it's so hard to find around here. Since it's running on gasoline, does it really need 5K intervals? I don't think so.

My solution - 5K intervals on synthetic that I got for quite cheap. $22/jug. And I have so much of it on hand (at least 8 jugs) that the oil and interval won't change anytime soon.

I drive under 10,000 miles a year in the truck, so it'll be a while.

I'll cross the extended OCI bridge when I get to it. Right now, cheap synthetic, factory interval on my Toyota.

For the rest of the fleet? Well, HPL, of course!

There are advantages in using the HPL the question is are you going to take advantages that the HPL offers? Toyota engines barring poor design usually outlast the original owners posessionm of the vehicle I have seen many Toyotas running well at 350,000 miles running quick lube oil and filters for most of their lives . HPL would be a benefit if your engine is capable of extended oil changes and you take advantages of them, oil if you are running the engine very hard, or is a high pressue high out put engine . Give the oil a try and see if you notice and benefits. Report back. Remember oil keeps the parts seperated, the additives make the oil last and protect and marginal oil film areas. If the oil that you are using does that then an oil that does 3 times that will not make a difference.

I've been running TGMO with 5K OCIs in my Toyota's since new. Been thinking about switching to HPL Premium Plus. Is HPL that much better to warrant the roughly double the cost per quart compared to TGMO? What's so great about HPL's base oils and add pack to justify the cost increase?

Here is the thing, you have been thinking about it, so why not try the oil for 2 OCI's and see how you like it. Then you will be able to justify if this HPL Premium Plus is better than TGMO.

As others have said, if your plan is to continue going 5000 miles on oil changes, it makes zero economic sense to use HPL oils. I'm sure they are fine oils, just like Amsoil oils, but you have to go extended intervals to justify the price difference. That engine isn't going to have an oil-related failure from using Toyota's oil or Supertech or whatever API-spec'd oil you buy at the store.

HPL

You have your opinion and all BITOG members have theirs.
It is not worth twice the cost unless you have used it. I have my oil now, but I thought my other oil was better, and I was wrong. This website should be about finding or talking about the best oil out there. Sometimes the best cost a bit more!

It is not worth twice the cost unless you have used it. I have my oil now, but I thought my other oil was better, and I was wrong. This website should be about finding or talking about the best oil out there. Sometimes the best cost a bit more!
What I have learned is there is no best oil.

Back