HPL no VII pcmo 5w30. 3.5k miles. Big turbo Fiesta ST 175k miles

To answer some questions here:

This car is not running the factory turbo. Stock, these cars will dyno 160-180 at the wheels. Mine dynos 307 horsepower at the wheels. Right now I’m only limited by the factory fuel system. So yes, this car is very very tuned.

I know the injectors aren’t leaking because I would have other issues if I were. My AFR at wide open throttle is 11.5-11.7, no timing is being pulled, and the exhaust never smells like sunburned fuel even in a cold start. No smoke, nothing. There is a little soot on the tailpipe but nothing different from when the car was stock.

I did pull and reseal the injectors after that first sample was taken. I also had them serviced. No issues were found by the company I had do the service. I also replaced the evap purge valve and the charcoal canister. I only run top tier and I do not short trip the car. Monday through Friday it’s my daily and it does 70 miles a day round trip.

I know the fuel dilution is from the fuel I’m using and the fact I’ve almost doubled the factory HP. This car makes 26 pounds of boost at 3200 rpm and holds 22lbs to redline.

The main reason I was doing an analysis was just to recheck for dilution using the no VII oil.
Ask your tuner if they are commanding it to dump fuel as soon as you transition from vacuum to boost. Otherwise, there is no free ride with E85 and if you are running pump E85 and not testing it/adjusting the timing for the % that comes out of the pump...you are living on borrowed time. Pump "E85" can legally be between E51 and E97 since there are no E ratings between those.

I do live in San Diego so it doesn’t really get to wintery around here. I’m thinking I can keep going with the no VII 5w30 maybe 5-6k mile oci, but maybe go longer with a 40?
Euro xW-30/40 oils have a minimum HTHS of 3.5 cP, which is only a slightly higher than the HPL at 3.4 cP. A 5W-40 has a lot of VII and will shear-thin over an OCI, whereas the HPL won't thin at all. In fact, it will only get thicker as it oxidizes over a long OCI. The HPL is more suitable for long OCIs if you're concerned about the viscosity getting too low.

Ask your tuner if they are commanding it to dump fuel as soon as you transition from vacuum to boost. Otherwise, there is no free ride with E85 and if you are running pump E85 and not testing it/adjusting the timing for the % that comes out of the pump...you are living on borrowed time. Pump "E85" can legally be between E51 and E97 since there are no E ratings between those.
I am aware not all e85 is created equal 100%. I don’t run straight e85, I blend it with 91 to make e30. I’ve wired in an ethanol content gauge so I’m always really close to 30%. There is enough leeway in the tune to accommodate for it.

Pump "E85" can legally be between E51 and E97 since there are no E ratings between those.
False:

IMG_2944.jpeg

That Focus was probably a hoot!

Really this was just more for my curiosity than anything. I really appreciate you’re reply as I know you are a long time respected member.

Question for you as I’m still learning things everyday around here. Many folks with these cars that run bigger turbos switch to a xW40. I don’t think there would really be any benefit as this car is never tracked (and doesnt have an oil temp gauge, and it’s never short tripped). Would switching to a 0w40 or 5w40 be beneficial at all? I do live in San Diego so it doesn’t really get to wintery around here. I’m thinking I can keep going with the no VII 5w30 maybe 5-6k mile oci, but maybe go longer with a 40?

Thank you for your input

It wouldn't hurt to run a 40 grade but you don't need to. If we were talking about common shelf oils, I would want to go up a grade to give some headroom for shearing and dilution. With the HPL No VII, the 5W-30 will do well.

I am aware not all e85 is created equal 100%. I don’t run straight e85, I blend it with 91 to make e30. I’ve wired in an ethanol content gauge so I’m always really close to 30%. There is enough leeway in the tune to accommodate for it.
Do you test your e85 for ethanol content? Here it varies from aprox 50% in the winter to 80% in the summer.

I would consider stepping up to a 5w40. What are you going to lose .25mpg?

PS really hard to read that oil report consider adding a partial screenshot with just the numbers so it doesnt get resized into tinyness.
1706792973219.jpg

Do you test your e85 for ethanol content? Here it varies from aprox 50% in the winter to 80% in the summer.
Gauge makes that not necessary, it's the test.

So the car tells you the ethanol content?
He has an ethanol gauge/sensor so he has a continuous readout of what the e-content of the fuel is. Most folks running fixed e tunes run these to avoid having to test the fuel at the pump. Best is a flex tune so the tune just adjusts to whatever e blend you run. I run e blends, only about 20-25% so just make some assumptions and do it on volume but my tune is a 93 tune so not really critical...just use for extra knock resistance especially in winter when the gas blends are garbage.

He has an ethanol gauge/sensor so he has a continuous readout of what the e-content of the fuel is. Most folks running fixed e tunes run these to avoid having to test the fuel at the pump. Best is a flex tune so the tune just adjusts to whatever e blend you run. I run e blends, only about 20-25% so just make some assumptions and do it on volume but my tune is a 93 tune so not really critical...just use for extra knock resistance especially in winter when the gas blends are garbage.
Didnt know that was a thing... Pretty cool.

At least on the 3.5EB tunes I’ve seen, any tuner that offers a “flex tune” for varying ethanol levels comes right out and tells you that tune will make a good bit of power less than a fixed %, because they have to leave some safety margin since the ethanol sensor is not an immediate adjustment to a fixed number; there is a smoothing function to the response of the ethanol sensor so it’s not jumping wildly in response to variations.

In other words, even with an ethanol sensor or adaptive tune, make yourself very familiar with your specific tuner’s caveats when mixing pump ethanol and boost. 👍🏻

At least on the 3.5EB tunes I’ve seen, any tuner that offers a “flex tune” for varying ethanol levels comes right out and tells you that tune will make a good bit of power less than a fixed %, because they have to leave some safety margin since the ethanol sensor is not an immediate adjustment to a fixed number; there is a smoothing function to the response of the ethanol sensor so it’s not jumping wildly in response to variations.

In other words, even with an ethanol sensor or adaptive tune, make yourself very familiar with your specific tuner’s caveats when mixing pump ethanol and boost. 👍🏻
You misspelled "Subaru tuning drama"....haha

You misspelled "Subaru tuning drama"....haha
If I was commenting on that, my short advice would be: if they’re not nationally known, there’s probably a good bet their tune isn’t quite as safe as it could be. Those small guys sometimes chase numbers over safety to try to generate more sales, to the detriment of the customer.

If I was commenting on that, my short advice would be: if they’re not nationally known, there’s probably a good bet their tune isn’t quite as safe as it could be. Those small guys sometimes chase numbers over safety to try to generate more sales, to the detriment of the customer.
Same with the VWs, stick with established tuners and you're fine. Subarus are notorious for requiring tuning for all sorts of small mods (add an intake? OMG adjust tune) that on the VWs, aren't an issue so I'd expect ethanol is no different.

That Focus was probably a hoot!

Really this was just more for my curiosity than anything. I really appreciate you’re reply as I know you are a long time respected member.

Question for you as I’m still learning things everyday around here. Many folks with these cars that run bigger turbos switch to a xW40. I don’t think there would really be any benefit as this car is never tracked (and doesnt have an oil temp gauge, and it’s never short tripped). Would switching to a 0w40 or 5w40 be beneficial at all? I do live in San Diego so it doesn’t really get to wintery around here. I’m thinking I can keep going with the no VII 5w30 maybe 5-6k mile oci, but maybe go longer with a 40?

Thank you for your input
I see no need to switch to a xw40 if your using a solid oil like HPL. For reference i ran Amsoil SS 5w40 in my 360 ish hp fiesta on e50, with 3000 mile OCI’s. Was a weekend car, and when i drove the fiesta it was 10/10ths all the time.

Didnt know that was a thing... Pretty cool.
He most likely uses an accesport as well, and you can observe the Octane Adjust Ratio. Once the ratio has hit -1.0 after a fill up from regular 91, your good to go and boost away. Accesport is super handy if you know what to watch for

He most likely uses an accesport as well, and you can observe the Octane Adjust Ratio. Once the ratio has hit -1.0 after a fill up from regular 91, your good to go and boost away. Accesport is super handy if you know what to watch for
Yes I use a Cobb AP. Tuneplus did the current tune

I also have tunes from Dizzy and Tunewerks (Randy Robles)

Back