HPL No VII 5W30 Euro, 1993 Volvo 240, 5,400 mile OCI

Wow, here’s information about boron I certainly didn’t expect! I don’t think these facets of B have been discussed too deeply on the board?
sciencedirect said:
Baş and Karabacak [16] used a pin-on-disc setup to find that the optimal boric acid concentration was 4 wt% in an engine oil developed for heavy-duty diesel engines. Fuel consumption tests with that oil were performed in a 170 kW diesel engine. The engine speed was varied from 500-3000 rpm and the fuel consumption was reduced with boric acid in the oil for all tested speeds. The average fuel consumption reduction was 3.6%.

Could you share why you think this is significant if true?
I'm not sure how significant it is, but it is a noticeable pattern (I've seen many UOAs where the TBN is in the 2.5 - 1.5 range and Boron also happens to be very low, perhaps in single digits when I know its starting Boron is much much higher). It was noticeable enough after looking at dozens of UOAs (ones we had a VOA for) for me to set up that formula and the formula at least showed some correlation. I'm NOT saying this is worthy of a scientific paper, but it's INTERESTING to me. That's why I said "I just use it as a personal data point." If anyone else finds interest and also wants to use it personally, that's great. If more tribolic folks want to reject it due to inconsistent or incomplete data, that's cool too.

edit: the Euro L and Castrol 0W40 results make me wonder if there are different types of Boron, and if so, what the differences are.

I'm not sure how significant it is, but it is a noticeable pattern (I've seen many UOAs where the TBN is in the 2.5 - 1.5 range and Boron also happens to be very low, perhaps in single digits when I know its starting Boron is much much higher). It was noticeable enough after looking at dozens of UOAs (ones we had a VOA for) for me to set up that formula and the formula at least showed some correlation. I'm NOT saying this is worthy of a scientific paper, but it's INTERESTING to me. That's why I said "I just use it as a personal data point." If anyone else finds interest and also wants to use it personally, that's great. If more tribolic folks want to reject it due to inconsistent or incomplete data, that's cool too.

edit: the Euro L and Castrol 0W40 results make me wonder if there are different types of Boron, and if so, what the differences are.
There are at least two types, hexagonal boron nitride, and boric acid. What the difference is, and if there are any more, need to be answered by people smarter than me 🤣

Also, the Euro version of the No VII oil contains increased ZDDP, a lot of moly, and a healthy dose of ester and AN, all of which help quench LSPI. The only reason calcium was reduced in compliance with Dexos was due to API limits on phosphorus and sulfur, not allowing them to increase ZDDP or MoDTC in sufficient concentration.

I think you're aluminum numbers will go down. a similar experience would have been had if you would have used redline oil. there is a lot of Ester and it usually has a tendency to remove whatever boundary of lubrication was there before so that's why you're seeing those numbers. run the same oil again or one similar and the numbers will drop. the high performance lubricants is in a field that's very very small with who could even compete with their quality oils but I am sure everybody that's in that field you would have the exact similar results.

1993 Volvo 240, 233,000 miles, 5,400 mile OCI; HPL No VII 5W30 Euro, Mann W917 filter

This is the first run with HPL. See my post and pictures in the HPL thread.

My plan is to extend the OCI to 7,500 miles and then 10,000 miles if the UOAs indicate it is safe.

Blackstone is concerned about the 3ppm increase in aluminum. To me that’s a small increase. Not sure its enough to worry about. The rest of the report looks solid.

The car is gently driven. 60% highway, 40% local.

Thoughts?

View attachment 155255
I think they gave you sound advice in the in the comment section.
Aluminum shouldn’t increase much Fromm oci to oci

I think they gave you sound advice in the in the comment section.
Aluminum shouldn’t increase much Fromm oci to oci

I agree. Al should stay stable. 3ppm should not be error variance with Al.

Additionally the oil thickened and it's flashpoint was down to 370 degrees.

I would do exactly as they suggested and not extend the OCI further yet

I just added 400 ml at 4,600 miles into the OCI.

The engine is incredibly smooth.

The view into the valve cover makes me think of sterling silver at Tiffanys.

I will change at 7,000 miles. Next run will be 10k if the UOA supports.

Last edited:
I just added 400 ml at 4,600 miles into the OCI. The engine is incredibly smooth.

I've owned cars and have been driving since 1959 and have never had an engine that didn't run smoothly unless there was a mechanical problem, and that only happened once, so essentially all my engines were smooth running regardless of the oil used. So, is your engine now smoother than before HPL, or before adding 400ml of fresh oil? In what way and under what circumstances is the engine smoother?

I've owned cars and have been driving since 1959 and have never had an engine that didn't run smoothly unless there was a mechanical problem, and that only happened once, so essentially all my engines were smooth running regardless of the oil used. So, is your engine now smoother than before HPL, or before adding 400ml of fresh oil? In what way and under what circumstances is the engine smoother?
I think you are reading too far into what I stated. And perhaps looking for a tussle?

I edited my comment.

The addition of 400 ml is not linked to the smoothness of the engine. It is simply an observation.

Last edited:
I just added 400 ml at 4,600 miles into the OCI.

The engine is incredibly smooth.

HPL, the Tiffany & Co. of engine oil.

I think you are reading too far into what I stated. And perhaps looking for a tussle?

I edited my comment.

The addition of 400 ml is not linked to the smoothness of the engine. It is simply an observation.
yall can add 400 ml all you want, i add about a half a quart........maybe for my stuff to run better, i need to convert ro ml. thanks.

Back