2019 Ram Classic 5.7 - HPL Euro 5w30

This is HPLs 504/507 Euro 5w30 and is my first run of it. We're looking at sample #4. Fram Endurance in the OEM size, FE10060.

The VOA for this oil is sample #2. Sample #1 was Pennzoil Platinum 5w20, sample #3 was HPL PCEO 5w20

Overall not too bad. Life got in the way which is why it went 10,936 miles. Ran from December 2, 2023 to May 10, 2024. Idle hours increased only 14 hours, estimated drive hours at 279 hours. (Hour meter reset again 200 hours ago.)

The copper initially surprised me, but when you math it out, it does show an increase, but from 3 ppm/1000 to 3.8ppm/1000. Something to keep an eye on, but I'm pretty sure these engines tend to higher copper. Good viscosity retention, good base retention. Oxidation delta is 15.

Debating on doing a filter change/sample at 7500 and taking it to 15k total OCI (pending the sample). Same oil was put in, we'll see if I continue with this oil after that, I have no reason not to. Wouldn't mind seeing that copper come down a bit. Lots of options to choose from. Haven't ruled out the 502/505 option but would prefer it in 5w30 (I know I can ask). There's also the HDEO options from HPL. I'm liking the higher HT/HS so far, oil was only 1/4qt low after almost 11k.

2019-RAM-1500-E-I-063741-Sev1-page-00001.jpg

Nice reduction in Fe with the HPL oils (samples 3 and 4). The TBN retention is really good too. The only thing I don't understand that I'm noticing with HPL is the value of the virgin and used oxidation value. Notice the virgin was 20 and it's now 35. OAI flags oxidation when it's +17 over baseline.

Nice reduction in Fe with the HPL oils (samples 3 and 4). The TBN retention is really good too. The only thing I don't understand that I'm noticing with HPL is the value of the virgin and used oxidation value. Notice the virgin was 20 and it's now 35. OAI flags oxidation when it's +17 over baseline.
I read something eons ago about VOA's can show higher oxidation based on the base oils used. I am sure the users in the know will chime in with more correct info.

Oxidation gives you an indication of an ester used in the base oil blend. I'm curious about the virgin vs used oxidation number and whether that is something you need to watch.

IF we trust these reports, I am not seeing any advantage to the higher viscosity nor the 504/507 additive package. I would save your money and run the PCEO 5W20.
I can definitely see that perspective. Definitely not seeing any significant differences, within the scope of this "limited" test. Both the PCEO and the 504/507 are great oils, no doubt. The HDEO is a few pennies less than PCEO, might give that a try next.

I'll test again before I make a final decision.

Just pick one oil and stick with it. You could be getting additive clash which causes more wear.
Hell The Pennzoil seemed to work great.

Fe is half
Maybe a difference in oxidation value on different viscosity from the voa hpl 5w-30 sample 2 vs Uao of hpl 5w-20 sample 3?

I don't see anything wrong with using this oil and the copper would probably level out. Other wear is inline with what you'd expect. Good run.

I laugh every time I see someone say....I bought some HPL EC. Mixed it with 1qt of GTX, 1QT of Pennzoil, and 3 Qt's of Mobil. 🤣👀
Can you say additive clash and Super wear.

I laugh every time I see someone say....I bought some HPL EC. Mixed it with 1qt of GTX, 1QT of Pennzoil, and 3 Qt's of Mobil. 🤣👀
Can you say additive clash and Super wear.
I laugh when I additive clash multiple oils and viscosities for almost 20 years with the same engine. Then because of body rust, the junkyard sells the engine and the buyer gets another five years of additive clash and over 300k total miles on the engine.

Must be the super wear that killed my engine so soon.

Just pick one oil and stick with it. You could be getting additive clash which causes more wear.
Hell The Pennzoil seemed to work great.
I really don't change oil types that often.

I ran PP for 60k miles before I switched to HPL for extra comfort. The PP was clearly finished at the OLM/10k interval, the HPL is not. I would've been pretty concerned going the 1000 miles over if PP was in the sump but I wasn't with the HPL in there.

I buy the HPL in 4 gallon packs, so two changes. Ran PCEO 5w20 for 2 changes, running the Euro 5w30 for two changes. Should I have tested on the first run after a change, some would argue it's not a good data point, but data is fun and I generally get pretty good drains and it's at least warm every time since I drive it a few miles to my dad's garage with lift. Pull the plug, fight the oil filter, pull the tires, check the brakes, rotate the tires, new filter, put the plug back in.

I laugh when I additive clash multiple oils and viscosities for almost 20 years with the same engine. Then because of body rust, the junkyard sells the engine and the buyer gets another five years of additive clash and over 300k total miles on the engine.

Must be the super wear that killed my engine so soon.
I hate when additive clash kills the body. :ROFLMAO:

Back