HPL No VII 5W30 Euro, 1993 Volvo 240, 5,400 mile OCI

Sam_Julier

$50 Site Donor 2024
1993 Volvo 240, 233,000 miles, 5,400 mile OCI; HPL No VII 5W30 Euro, Mann W917 filter

This is the first run with HPL. See my post and pictures in the HPL thread.

My plan is to extend the OCI to 7,500 miles and then 10,000 miles if the UOAs indicate it is safe.

Blackstone is concerned about the 3ppm increase in aluminum. To me that’s a small increase. Not sure its enough to worry about. The rest of the report looks solid.

The car is gently driven. 60% highway, 40% local.

Thoughts?

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Overall looks decent.
I would agree; nothing to panic about. See what the Al does on the next UOA.
I'm not familiar with that engine, but I presume it has an external timing belt. That being the case, the Al sources in that engine are likely limited to the pistons, right?

Overall looks decent.
I would agree; nothing to panic about. See what the Al does on the next UOA.
I'm not familiar with that engine, but I presume it has an external timing belt. That being the case, the Al sources in that engine are likely limited to the pistons, right?
I assume wear is from the pistons too.

Engine is the Volvo 4 cylinder “redblock”. External timing belt, non-interference, 2.3l, 4 cylinder, SOC, Al head, iron block, piston oil squirters, 4.25 qt sump.

Thanks for your comments.

1993 Volvo 240, 233,000 miles, 5,400 mile OCI; HPL No VII 5W30 Euro, Mann W917 filter

This is the first run with HPL. See my post and pictures in the HPL thread.

My plan is to extend the OCI to 7,500 miles and then 10,000 miles if the UOAs indicate it is safe.

Blackstone is concerned about the 3ppm increase in aluminum. To me that’s a small increase. Not sure its enough to worry about. The rest of the report looks solid.

The car is gently driven. 60% highway, 40% local.

Thoughts?

View attachment 155255
This oil has thickened and the viscosity is already out of range at 5,400 miles. You plan to extend the OCI to 7,500 miles. Is the viscosity change not a concern for you?

This oil has thickened and the viscosity is already out of range at 5,400 miles. You plan to extend the OCI to 7,500 miles. Is the viscosity change not a concern for you?
PDS for the oil has starting viscosity at 11.19 cSt at 100C. Nothing to be concerned about.

Thanks for sharing this report, Sam. The 240 is a great classic Volvo.

This is the first run. I don’t feel I have enough data to be concerned yet. Do you?

Since Volvo allowed a variety of viscosities to be used in this engine, including a 15W40, that tiny bit of viscosity increase on the 5W30 doesn’t actually take the oil out of range for this engine.

Since Volvo allowed a variety of viscosities to be used in this engine, including a 15W40, that tiny bit of viscosity increase on the 5W30 doesn’t actually take the oil out of range for this engine.
But what does it say about the oil?

The report says that .75 quart of makeup oil was used. I'd think that would result in a smaller thickening percentage, suggesting that the oil thickened even more than what's indicated.

I seem to recall the HPL designed the oil to thicken a bit.

Anyone know the full story here?

The report says that .75 quart of makeup oil was used. I'd think that would result in a smaller thickening percentage, suggesting that the oil thickened even more than what's indicated.

I don't think the oil was ever designed to thicken, but rather, the lack of "unstable" VII makes any oxidation apparent.

I think it says, “This is a great oil that will stay in grade for a long time”

Look, the PDS on this has a 100c viscosity of 11.2. https://www.hplubricants.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/No-VII-Engine-Oil-PDS.pdf

You‘re concerned about it being 11.4 after 5,000 miles. A tiny change.

Not really something to worry about. The oil was in the heart of the 9.3-12.5 Cst envelope for a 5W30 when it was new.

It is in the heart of the envelope now.

I had though Blackstone highlighted it for being out of grade, and another poster claimed it was out of grade, but the fact is that it has remained in grade over the interval. Looks like it’s doing just fine at avoiding viscosity breakdown/reduction that plagues so many multi grades. It is still in grade.

Which was the point of this formulation in the first place - avoid gradual loss of viscosity due to VII failure.

A very shear stable oil will only show viscosity increases with time. In this case it's pretty much spot on especially when you account for lab variances.

What stands out to me is how the prior oils basically showed the same level of wear, despite having lower levels of AW additives.

I think it says, “This is a great oil that will stay in grade for a long time”

Look, the PDS on this has a 100c viscosity of 11.2. https://www.hplubricants.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/No-VII-Engine-Oil-PDS.pdf

You‘re concerned about it being 11.4 after 5,000 miles. A tiny change.

Not really something to worry about. The oil was in the heart of the 9.3-12.5 Cst envelope for a 5W30 when it was new.

It is in the heart of the envelope now.

I had though Blackstone highlighted it for being out of grade, and another poster claimed it was out of grade, but the fact is that it has remained in grade over the interval. Looks like it’s doing just fine at avoiding viscosity breakdown/reduction that plagues so many multi grades. It is still in grade.

Which was the point of this formulation in the first place - avoid gradual loss of viscosity due to VII failure.

This is the first run. I don’t feel I have enough data to be concerned yet. Do you?
I'm not sure, I was just asking a question. Based on the feedback from other posters, you should be fine.

Back