HPL Engine Cleaner - 4,430 miles - Toyota 2GR-FE

Yep, and most likely a factor why engines that don't use good cleaning oils, and lack getting proper OCI maintenance often get stuck rings in the piston grooves which causea oil consumption to increase.
I think it can also be attributed to the mfg. extending OCIs in an attempt to save resources and lower the cost of ownership. Both are not good for engines over the long haul with oils which just meet specs. Now if you lease a car every three years, who cares?

In my instance, having got them before, they were carbonaceous, and not completely solid; you could break them up rubbing them between your fingers. Having seen similar material in the oil control ring area on a few teardowns, that has always been my suspicion as to where it was being liberated from.
That’s my suspicion as well. Short of a tear down, though, I’ve got no way to verify.

They’re actually sort of soft. They crumble with little resistance. So, I’m not worried about damage from their liberation.

Last edited:
Is HPL engine cleaner a distinct product? I don't see it on their website.
Yes.

On which website are you looking?

Try this one.

Further, the engine cleaner has a more modest cleaning effect than the oil itself.

They developed it as an intermediate step for engines with known sludge/contamination.

Liberating all the gunk at once, if there is a significant amount, could cause other problems.

On a known clean engine, just use the oil.

I just cut open a PF63 on a chevy GDI that had HPL EC in it for 4000+ miles, pleates were loaded with carbon chunks. I also did a CRC IVD cleaner prior to the oil change, so do not know which product caused the carbon to loosen or did they both contribute? This engine lived on dealer and instant oil change places based on OLM.

Once the oil leaks out of the pleats I will post pictures. There was so much carbon not just a few flakes.

I did not see any carbon on any of the other Honda's or Toyotas I run the HPL EC on.
Where did do you spray the IVD cleaner?

The saturated oil in the pleats really won't "leak out" much by its own. Need to do the absorbent paper towel "wicking trick" to dry out the media pretty good.

View attachment 144896
19EFDD49-4B21-4975-923E-0B0FF29A4D75.jpeg

Pulled a Fram jobber cartridge filter from the Durango this afternoon with 1001 miles using 1 quart EC 30 to 5 quarts M1 0w20 AFE. I have it wrapped in paper towels absorbing the oil now. Dropped another Fram & new gasket in place. Will check it in a few days and post if I find a fair amount of material trapped in it.

Genuine Toyota #04152-YZZA1 filter with 4,430 miles. Oil was M1 EP 0W20 + 1 qt of HPL Engine Cleaner.

The vehicle was a 2013 Lexus ES350 with 60,112 miles.

Notice the small bits of carbon particulate. This is the first time that I have seen carbon in the filter.

View attachment 144877
View attachment 144876

As background, this is the vehicle's oil change history:
I think the carbon particles you see there are from the rings.

Yes.

On which website are you looking?

Try this one.

Further, the engine cleaner has a more modest cleaning effect than the oil itself.

They developed it as an intermediate step for engines with known sludge/contamination.

Liberating all the gunk at once, if there is a significant amount, could cause other problems.

On a known clean engine, just use the oil.

Astro14 - Thanks for clarifying that.

For the cleaning abilities alone, it might be a good idea for me to run in each of my 4 vehicles:
The HPL cleaner + ordinary oil for 2k miles, followed by 1 oil change using HPL oil.

After that 2 step cleaning regiment, I could go back to the regular cheap full synthetic oil I run, but with a much cleaner engine.
Does that sound like a reasonable plan?

Genuine Toyota #04152-YZZA1 filter with 4,430 miles. Oil was M1 EP 0W20 + 1 qt of HPL Engine Cleaner.

The vehicle was a 2013 Lexus ES350 with 60,112 miles.

Notice the small bits of carbon particulate. This is the first time that I have seen carbon in the filter.

View attachment 144877
View attachment 144876

As background, this is the vehicle's oil change history:
Is that saying you ran the HPL Cleaner for 4K?

Back