HPL Engine Cleaner - 4,430 miles - Toyota 2GR-FE

Genuine Toyota #04152-YZZA1 filter with 4,430 miles. Oil was M1 EP 0W20 + 1 qt of HPL Engine Cleaner.

The vehicle was a 2013 Lexus ES350 with 60,112 miles.

Notice the small bits of carbon particulate. This is the first time that I have seen carbon in the filter.

D60BECA5-A901-47FD-98AB-BBF23783B40A.jpeg

622F4CFC-1468-40D4-9C08-FF21B89FF82B.jpeg

As background, this is the vehicle's oil change history:
8,875 – 4/2015 – Toyota 0W20

18,636 – 6/2016 – Toyota 0W20

27,833 – 7/2017 – Toyota 0W20

37,844 – 2/2019 – M1 EP 0W20

42,609 – 12/2019 – PP 0W20

46,130 – 11/2020 – M1 AFE 0W20

50,983 – 10/2021 – Havoline Lifelong 0W20

55,682 – 8/2022 – M1 EP 0W20 + 1 qt of HPL EC30

Does every inside fold of the filter have that carbon debris? How easy is it to crush with say a side of a socket extension head. Can you crush it into wet dust easy or is a robust chunk?

Genuine Toyota #04152-YZZA1 filter with 4,430 miles. Oil was M1 EP 0W20 + 1 qt of HPL Engine Cleaner.

The vehicle was a 2013 Lexus ES350 with 60,112 miles.

Notice the small bits of carbon particulate. This is the first time that I have seen carbon in the filter.

View attachment 144877
View attachment 144876

As background, this is the vehicle's oil change history:
Very nice. May I ask what oil went back in and what filter you put on? I Thank You friend 👍🍻

I just cut open a PF63 on a chevy GDI that had HPL EC in it for 4000+ miles, pleates were loaded with carbon chunks. I also did a CRC IVD cleaner prior to the oil change, so do not know which product caused the carbon to loosen or did they both contribute? This engine lived on dealer and instant oil change places based on OLM.

Once the oil leaks out of the pleats I will post pictures. There was so much carbon not just a few flakes.

I did not see any carbon on any of the other Honda's or Toyotas I run the HPL EC on.

Does every inside fold of the filter have that carbon debris? How easy is it to crush with say a side of a socket extension head. Can you crush it into wet dust easy or is a robust chunk?
Might need to let the oil drain out before testing that. I'll report back.

Very nice. MY I ask what oil went back in and what filter you put on? I Thank You friend 👍🍻
HPL PCEO 5W20

Incredible cleaning power from their HPL EC and oils. I would have to think a lot of it is from the rings. Tear downs of engines run on synthetic are usually remarkably clean.

Mirrors what others have seen. It's wild to see that coming out of an engine that's had a life on mainstream synthetic oil.
I talked with Dave tonight about this cleaning effect. It seems like the ANs are providing a synergistic cleaning with the esters; with either one the results are noticeable, but the combination of both is really providing serious removal.

I put some RGT 5w-30 and A wix filter back on
A question, not a slam by any means, but trying to understand your logic:

If you have used the HPL EC and gotten your engine on the right path, why do you follow it up with the same kind of oil that caused the accumulation in the first place? I know HPL is roughly 2.5 times more expensive than shelf stocks (unless on super clearance sales), but considering that in nearly every application HPL should be able to deliver 15k+ OCIs, where’s the economy in using lesser oils? 3x $25 shelf oils is essentially the same as 6 quarts of HPL… and you’re using only a third of the resources? Again, not bashing you at all since many people seem to balk at the HPL price but aren’t willing to use it to its full potential.

It’s perfectly fine, of course, to use it for shorter OCIs but why buy a Ferrari if you only drive it in L.A. rush hour?

I was going to start another post with this question, don't know if I should or not. Someone please let me know if I should. I am trying to learn the correct etiquette. I don't want to get accused of "high jacking" a thread.
Has anyone experienced tangible results from using the HPL EC?
I am considering using it on my daughter's 2013 Corolla with about 228k miles on it. It burns some oil. I am wondering if it would help reduce consumption by cleaning up the rings and piston ring groove drain holes. I am fairly certain that is what is causing the consumption.
We can see the crud in filter pleats on several threads, but has anyone seen the level on their dipstick stop going down?

A question, not a slam by any means, but trying to understand your logic:

If you have used the HPL EC and gotten your engine on the right path, why do you follow it up with the same kind of oil that caused the accumulation in the first place? I know HPL is roughly 2.5 times more expensive than shelf stocks (unless on super clearance sales), but considering that in nearly every application HPL should be able to deliver 15k+ OCIs, where’s the economy in using lesser oils? 3x $25 shelf oils is essentially the same as 6 quarts of HPL… and you’re using only a third of the resources? Again, not bashing you at all since many people seem to balk at the HPL price but aren’t willing to use it to its full potential.

It’s perfectly fine, of course, to use it for shorter OCIs but why buy a Ferrari if you only drive it in L.A. rush hour?
You questions are understandable.

It is a high mileage truck with 190K, and I have a stash that will last several years. So I figured why not clean it up for $15 for the EC and see what it does. It was treat for this truck.

Like I mentioned in my other vehicles I used the EC on which I bought new and was exclusive to Mobil 1 at 5K intervals since new, I did not see anything in the filters at all after running the EC.

My driving habits have changed, when I used to drive 30-40K per year HPL oils would make sense but now, I only put 5K per vehicle per year and I don't want to keep oil in the pan for more that 2 seasons, as is I change once a year.

I was going to start another post with this question, don't know if I should or not. Someone please let me know if I should. I am trying to learn the correct etiquette. I don't want to get accused of "high jacking" a thread.
I am considering using it on my daughter's 2013 Corolla with about 228k miles on it. It burns some oil. I am wondering if it would help reduce consumption by cleaning up the rings and piston ring groove drain holes. I am fairly certain that is what is causing the consumption.
We can see the crud in filter pleats on several threads, but has anyone seen the level on their dipstick stop going down?

The HPL Engine Cleaner is worth a shot or for maybe better cleaning you could try running 1 of there oils for 1 OCI

As proposed just above, run your next oil change with a quart of the EC replacing 1 quart of engine oil. Run that combo no more than 1k miles. Then next oil change run full HPL oil for 5k and then proceed with whatever you normally use to reassess if the oil burning has improved. If it has, I’d switch back to HPL from then on out, and use periodic UOAs to see how far you can run the HPL to maximize your returns! 👍🏻

I ran it for the recommended 2000 miles and I saw no real change in the discoloration in the valve train area on my Honda 2.4. That may not tell the whole story but that's what my eyes can see.

Back