HPL 0w-20 ... More money than sense...

Can you take a joke?
By the way, when I was in high school and after, I worked at a Mobil Station as a gas jock, doing basic services and learning from the mechanic owner. He taught me so much, mainly by correcting me. I will never forget him and his quality ethic. I loved that job!
We seem to have covered some common ground and good experiences growing up it sounds like. The gas stations were some of my all time favorite jobs during high school years. It was as if every street corner had the "Open 24hrs-Mechanics on Duty" sign along side the gas prices signs. :)

We seem to have covered some common ground and good experiences growing up it sounds like. The gas stations were some of my all time favorite jobs during high school years. It was as if every street corner had the "Open 24hrs-Mechanics on Duty" sign along side the gas prices signs. :)
Nice Chevelle in your photo. That car would certainly turn heads from people.

Nice Chevelle in your photo. That car would certainly turn heads from people.
I have owned (3) Type S-3 1976 models plus a 1972 Malibu. 1972 Olds Cutlass +1986 Monte Carlo SS. First new car the Chevy Type S-3 Chevelle (Dark Blue Metalic) was stolen within the first three weeks. Never recovered. Below, the last one I owned at 2009 Super Chevy Show. Medical issues stopped me from being able to maintain and enjoy my cars. Sold this last one after 14 yrs owning. The Monte Carlo was stolen n recovered in 88. Second time in 1990 later found stripped. Total loss. Enjoyed them but they all gone with the wind.
3417130-900-0.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3930.jpg
    IMG_3930.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 1972 Chevrolet Chevelle SS4.jpg
    1972 Chevrolet Chevelle SS4.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 6784394881_754b34373c_z.jpg
    6784394881_754b34373c_z.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 2017-04-29-1972-Cutlass-S-1-3066-640.jpg
    2017-04-29-1972-Cutlass-S-1-3066-640.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 12661779-1986-chevrolet-monte-carlo-ss-std.jpg
    12661779-1986-chevrolet-monte-carlo-ss-std.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 5
I was likely over-exaggerating some when I said “crud” because I do use good oils and filters in it. It’s had Chevron Delo XLE 10w30 in it on 5k intervals for the past 2+ years, and XG3593As.

What I was referring to is it’s got the original HGs in it with 184k, and while the coolant side is holding fine (I use Subaru Coolant Conditioner as directed), the oil return passages weep a little out of the bottom of the heads. And I mean just barely; never have to add any oil over an OCI but I get a faint burning smell and can see moist spots on the bottom of the heads where the oil drips. Rear main seal is fine.

I’m concerned that a good dose of ANs and/or esters would likely further degrade the known terrible coating on the factory HGs. Not really wanting to take any chances and have to put HGs in it; trying to make it to 200k as a personal badge of honor, lol.

Subie,

Please tell me you’re joking.

Or at least that Subaru has fixed the bad HG problem before 2019!

Stick shift?
Wish. That would have been a dream even though it’s no WRX. But it’s a decent 4EAT that I change a gallon of fluid every 20k with MaxLife. It’s not fast, it’s not flashy, but it’s got 2” King lift springs, a bunch of Whiteline parts & bushings, and good tires. I’ve taken it down ATV trails, it’s like a mountain goat in winter, and can make your butthole pucker around off-ramps. I plan on rebuilding the engine (or maybe just doing the HGs) as a summer project next year with my son. Maybe some new pistons with ceramic coatings, a light P&P on the heads, a thermal coating on the intake manifold to keep it cool… stuff like that 😎

One of the 50K vehicles has a cartridge filter, so it'll be easy to see the difference HPL should make. I'll look at the filter after the last drain of TGMO and again after the first drain of HPL, 5K miles later.
What do you see when you "look" at the filter? What might you expect?

Wish. That would have been a dream even though it’s no WRX. But it’s a decent 4EAT that I change a gallon of fluid every 20k with MaxLife. It’s not fast, it’s not flashy, but it’s got 2” King lift springs, a bunch of Whiteline parts & bushings, and good tires. I’ve taken it down ATV trails, it’s like a mountain goat in winter, and can make your butthole pucker around off-ramps. I plan on rebuilding the engine (or maybe just doing the HGs) as a summer project next year with my son. Maybe some new pistons with ceramic coatings, a light P&P on the heads, a thermal coating on the intake manifold to keep it cool… stuff like that 😎
I don't know if Valvoline is still using the same add pack for MaxLife as AMSOIL for their ATF (and Red Line for D6). I never liked the shifting characteristics of either fluid. Especially in transmissions that have computer-related flaws - what used to be an abrupt shift is made to feel like the transmission is about to come apart with Red Line or AMSOIL.

So, I tried this stuff in two transmissions now (see my signature). The add pack for the blue label is made by Infineum. The add pack for the black label was made by Afton Chemical. Looking at two UOAs I found around here, they seem similar. I wouldn't be surprised if Infineum acquired the technology from Afton and developed it further. That's just speculation on my part.

You will get soft-quick-shifts in any step shift automatic you use this. If you want a bit more viscosity, then go for a TES-668 approved fluid. Infineum makes the add pack for all TES-688 fluids, and the friction modification chemistry is based on the add pack used in Mobil 1 LV ATF HP.

Here it is:

b47b82aa-d60a-4f4f-a8dc-c9588c8d0eaa.cd8d89c6cb0950496c4de73f862d6234.jpeg

Back