HPL 0w-20 ... More money than sense...

I've decided to switch to HPL's 0W-20 Premium Plus Passenger Car Engine Oil while still doing 5K OCIs with OEM filters on my four Toyotas. The first two vehicles are each around 50K miles. The third is around 15K miles and the last on is brand new.

Before someone accuses me of wasting money by using a premium oil for such a short OCI, which I will NOT be extending, money is not an issue when it comes to maintenance. I want the best and can easily afford it. I want my vehicles to last many hundreds of thousands of miles while having their internals looks nearly new.

Two thoughts - first, it’s not that much money.

Second, I would be really curious to see what, if anything, you find in your filters on your 50,000 mile Toyotas.
One of the 50K vehicles has a cartridge filter, so it'll be easy to see the difference HPL should make. I'll look at the filter after the last drain of TGMO and again after the first drain of HPL, 5K miles later.

I've decided to switch to HPL's 0W-20 Premium Plus Passenger Car Engine Oil while still doing 5K OCIs with OEM filters on my four Toyotas. The first two vehicles are each around 50K miles. The third is around 15K miles and the last on is brand new.

Before someone accuses me of wasting money by using a premium oil for such a short OCI, which I will NOT be extending, money is not an issue when it comes to maintenance. I want the best and can easily afford it. I want my vehicles to last many hundreds of thousands of miles while having their internals looks nearly new.
That's fine just remember for future reference that your choice is not a reflection of how much more responsible you are with regards to vehicle maintenance vs others who choose to use a longer OCI.

I'm confused about the reason behind posting this.
Why so? People post their activities here often.
Perhaps the OP is just looking for whatever echo he gets?
Here's mine. I will try a "boutique" oil soon enough as my stash is 3 oil changes -and 1 trannie D&F- away from being gone.
I want not to store oil on my shelves. Getting older is a small part of it. All my friends but one have oddly outgrown the time and money saving "oil change gatherings" we performed so spontaneously and efficiently.

I too will not seek the 15,000 etc. OCIs. The 7,500 milers in my OM are harrowing enough.
The additional cost of oil analyses isn't worth it now. If I was younger and had my "fleet" back, it'd be a different story.

Ha, I remember when Mobil1 0W-40 European was 'boutique' because you couldn't find it.

You are wasting your money.

Just kidding... do what makes you feel good about your vehicles. It isn't that much money to spend on premium fluids and if it gives you satisfaction, it is money well spent.

If that's how you feel go for it. Posting about it here can lead to criticism, and conflict. No harm in using a premium product in a manner that makes you feel comfortable.

Why so? People post their activities here often.
Perhaps the OP is just looking for whatever echo he gets?
Here's mine. I will try a "boutique" oil soon enough as my stash is 3 oil changes -and 1 trannie D&F- away from being gone.
I want not to store oil on my shelves. Getting older is a small part of it. All my friends but one have oddly outgrown the time and money saving "oil change gatherings" we performed so spontaneously and efficiently.

I too will not seek the 15,000 etc. OCIs. The 7,500 milers in my OM are harrowing enough.
The additional cost of oil analyses isn't worth it now. If I was younger and had my "fleet" back, it'd be a different story.

Ha, I remember when Mobil1 0W-40 European was 'boutique' because you couldn't find it.
It was more the tone of it.

Like me saying "I am now buying Michelin Pilot Super Sports for my car, and changing them every 50 miles because I want to. Nobody should accuse me of anything because I can afford it". :ROFLMAO: I don't care what anyone does, it's their vehicle and their money. I just find it kind of funny and attention-seeking to start an entire thread that way.

I doubt OP will see any noticeable difference, but I doubt any of us will on here since we actively maintain our vehicles. Nothing wrong with that. I do like how the cartridge filters allow you to see any debris without having to cut them open.

It was more the tone of it.

Like me saying "I am now buying Michelin Pilot Super Sports for my car, and changing them every 50 miles because I want to. Nobody should accuse me of anything because I can afford it". :ROFLMAO: I don't care what anyone does, it's their vehicle and their money. I just find it kind of funny and attention-seeking to start an entire thread that way.
BINGO !

Nothing wrong with short OCI's. When the title is in your name you can do whatever you like. I am guilty of changing the oil quite often in my Civic because it's so easy with the MityVac. I like to trade often however in this car market vehicles are too high priced right now and I just keep on maintaining them. I don't consider 5K oil changes as short OCI's and consider them normal for lot's of do it yourselfer's. If you have to pay $100 for an oil change it's a different story.

One of the 50K vehicles has a cartridge filter, so it'll be easy to see the difference HPL should make. I'll look at the filter after the last drain of TGMO and again after the first drain of HPL, 5K miles later.
The WIX cartridge filter on my B48 Engine was definitely a gray color after 5000 miles of HPL 5w30 Euro than it's usual obviously reddish color after 5000 miles of Pennzoil LX 0w30. No unusual flecks, chunks, smears of any sort in the pleats with either oil. I've always done 5000 mile intervals, which may be a bit more than needed...it should be a very clean engine...only 36,000 miles on it. I found it interesting that the yellow-tan filter material was so differently colored. The drained HPL was darker than drained Pennzoil LX. I wouldn't be surprised if the HPL did a bit of extra cleaning...but, don't know that for certain. I plan to go back to HPL after my stash of LX is used up.

Back