How to save tranny in heavy traffic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Volvo's are absolutely brutal on tranny fluid. They cook the ATF black regardless of what goes in there.

No such thing as "no room for an external cooler"

External cooler is cheaper than a new tranny.

I thought I had posted a response to you yesterday, but I don't see it here for some reason.

I drive the same MY '97 850 as you do. The AW 4-speed by that model year is pretty much bulletproof. It does not necessarily need the benefit of an external cooler as much as some other more marginal designs might. I don't know what the poster with "Volvos are brutal on tranny fluid" bases his comment on. We're bumping over 185k on ours and it still shifts like a brand new one.

While an aux cooler is always nice and will certainly give you longer change intervals on any fluid, it isn't necessary here if you're not towing and you regularly change (every 20-25k) with a premium fluid exceeding the old Dexron III spec. Dex III is not a very impressive standard, and you can do much better today. The improved fluid technology can help you as much as standard Dex III with a cooler will.

I recommend the new Dex VI fluid, which we run in our '97. Besides vastly improved oxidation resistance, it even shifts better than M1 had in it. Otherwise, all the top full synthetic universal fluids from M1, Amsoil and RL are fine choices and easily can put up with your Houston heat and driving conditions. Just change it at prudent intervals.

IPD sells a simple change kit, so you can flush out the tranny easily on a regular basis. Dumping in 6oz of ARX about 1500 miles before each changeout is also a nice preventive step in keeping down any deposit buildups (which should be minimal at those intervals with those fluids).

Just bear in mind that heat doesn't directly kill the transmission. It wears down the fluid's ability to do its job. It is that burned out, oxidized fluid that eventually kills the unit. Either improving the fluid or installing a cooler will both increase the thermal endurance of the fluid charge. The former is enough with your 850, which was designed for long life around a humble Dex III fluid to begin with, and I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Quote:

Thanks all.
I looked but I see no possibility to install an axtra tranny cooler, not enough space left around the engine. No mounting possibilities.

Filling with Redline AFT as I understand it will effectively do the same thing as adding a cooler with regular ATF. Many other "synthetic" ATFs will not provide the level of protection as Redline because Redline is ester, most others are Group III, some PAO may do, but still ester is better.

Anyway, that's my "unqualified" opinion.

Quote:

Volvo's are absolutely brutal on tranny fluid. They cook the ATF black regardless of what goes in there.

My understanding is that you would have a hard time cooking Redline because their ester base is the only base oil that will stand up to the heat of jet turbine engines. Talk to the folks at Redline.

FWIW late in the post...I've added both a cooler and in-line mag filter on my '95's 4-sp auto. I'm not sure if the '97's had a filter or not, but mine didn't. When I did a partial drain to add M1, there seemed to be some fiber-like material floating around in the drain collection. I also don't believe the contaminants are resultant from a dirty collection container.

I had already relocated the two horns away from in front of the radiator and condenser which gave me more room for an ATF cooler. Being located in front of the condenser also enable the airflow created by the cooling fan, to help with cooling while in stop-and-go and low speed/high load situations. I plumbed the aux cooler after the fluid-fluid heat exchanger that's part of the coolant radiator. During the winter month I simply block air flow through the aux cooler with a piece of cardboard to help prevent over cooling - I suppose I could look for a thermostat but then there's more parts and potential leaks to consider...oh well. The added cooler is a piece of mind addition for when towing, if nothing else.

It's been 2-3 yrs now and things are working nicely, though I do see some seepage at the barbed fittings interfacing with the OE rubber (filter and cooler tie-ins) - stiffer materials.

Take care.

One thing that I have found that helps......
Turn the A/C on when in stop and go traffic.
The A/C being ON will cause the radiator fans to stay ON....which will give you the cooling for the radiator (including the in-radiator transmission cooler, if you have one) as well as any auxilary cooler that has been installed.
I find that the engine temperature stays at a more consistant level also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back