How to remove lots of bugs?

Hey folks:

I took my 2 year old car on a 1000 mile trip - and it is pretty covered in bugs.

I'm clueless about detailing.

Is a bug and tar remover the way to go, or a clay bar?

I'm guessing whatever I do will strip the wax, and I need to apply something after. What should I use? (Spray would be preferred - paste seems to always get everywhere).

I have noticed this summer here in central PA the absolute lack of bugs on my car. They seem to be almost non-existent when I drive compared to 10 years ago. I guess the insect apocalypse is real.

I have noticed this summer here in central PA the absolute lack of bugs on my car. They seem to be almost non-existent when I drive compared to 10 years ago. I guess the insect apocalypse is real.
Same here. I think they all migrated to Upper NY. I spent a few weeks in Clinton County a few months ago and I couldn’t believe how many painted my car.

Just scrape them off and have them for dinner. You wouldn't want any non organic store bought bugs now would you. Get the organic free range ones.

Is a pressure washer too aggressive? (from a distance I mean - not right up on it).

Check this out, I remember when @BeerCan posted this one. I've never seen such a mess 😲

Check this out, I remember when @BeerCan posted this one. I've never seen such a mess 😲

I'm glad I don't live in Florida anymore :)

Hand towels/shop towels soaked in hot water, and then drape them across the buggy surfaces however you can. Let the steam and warmth soften them up for a few minutes.
Yes!. And be sure to mix in some car wash solution (not something like Dawn) to your hot water mix. Keep the rags wet with a spray bottle of your mix. Let it sit wet for an hour and the bugs should wash right off.

I use full size bath towels. That way they drape over the body and stay in place when they hang down over the lower portion of the front clip. For a heavily "bugged" car this is my first step, before even starting to wash the car.

And after I'm done I always spray the front end with some kind of quick wax. Don't forget this final step.

Scott

thanks folks - using warm water really helped. everything came right off. very easy.

They might not be on your car, but take a walk in the woods and see how many ticks you will pick up.

If your car was waxed properly before the trip, I would expect the bugs to come off easily enough.
yeah - I was surprised. most of my recent cars were parked on baltimore city streets - waxing scratched up bumpers seemed like a waste of time.

Back