petroleum distillates, auto paint and bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did search this part of the forum and found a few posts on bug removal. Seems to be a lot of different products out there. One thing I got to ask, in the past I've used basically kerosene, or some other distillate to remove tar and some bugs. Wife's new CRV literally gets coated with bugs. Soap and water do OK, but doesn't get them all. Got a bottle of Napa Bug and Tar remover...bottle states it's pretty much petroleum distillates, smells like kerosene. Is it OK to use that on the front of her car? I know it will strip away any wax that's on it, and I got not problem putting another coat of wax on it, but was concerned if that stuff would damage the paint. Seems a lot of products....Turtle Wax Bug and Tar remover for example, still uses petroleum distillates and they get rave reviews on other forums.

I found out recently that the spray cans of window cleaner just melt the bugs off. I am sure it removes the wax also, but I just rewax the area I used the window cleaner on.

Originally Posted by Schmoe
I did search this part of the forum and found a few posts on bug removal. Seems to be a lot of different products out there. One thing I got to ask, in the past I've used basically kerosene, or some other distillate to remove tar and some bugs. Wife's new CRV literally gets coated with bugs. Soap and water do OK, but doesn't get them all. Got a bottle of Napa Bug and Tar remover...bottle states it's pretty much petroleum distillates, smells like kerosene. Is it OK to use that on the front of her car? I know it will strip away any wax that's on it, and I got not problem putting another coat of wax on it, but was concerned if that stuff would damage the paint. Seems a lot of products....Turtle Wax Bug and Tar remover for example, still uses petroleum distillates and they get rave reviews on other forums.

They won't damage the paint if used according to their listed directions. Some will specify not to leave the product on the paint for more than 30 seconds or a minute. Those will be the ones with the most petroleum distillates and will have more potential to harm the paint if left on too long.

You would still need to leave them on for an inordinate amount of time to do harm, but just wash off in a reasonable amount of time and you'll be fine. Leaving them on overnight to soak would be a different story though...

Factory paint on most cars is going to be acrylic polyurethane enamel. PDs will have nil effect on this.

But if you want to be really gentle about bug removal, presoaking the front end with a mixture of hot water and car soap usually makes them fall off when sprayed with a hose later.

Originally Posted by Onetor
Put some Pam/generic spray on before (light coat) and the bugs will come right off.

I'm thinking:

1. Pre soak with Pam
2. Go to car wash 5 minutes away
3. Any specs left - rub off with spray wax - let dry - buff

Did the olive oil.....left the front nice and smooth....but I can still see the bug impressions in the paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back