bug & tar remover

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to get all the bugs off my car and give it another good polish before winter. I was looking around WM and they had two different kinds -- one non-flammable and one that was just about 100% petro distillates (although it says "Clear Coat Safe real big"). I went for the petro stuff, since the bugs are pretty thick and I'll be polishing it anyway.

This stuff smells like it's 100% kerosene, but the bugs just aren't coming off. The car's a 1993 Del Sol, and I think a lot of those bugs have been on there the full 10 years. This is taking some major elbow grease. I'm starting to think a repaint may be easier.
grin.gif

Try Stoner Bug and Tar remover. I just used this for the first time last weekend. It easily took off asphalt that other bug and tar removers didn't touch. It is also clear coat safe.

Mother's has a Bug&Tar Remover that come like "wipes". I've never used it, but I guess you just wipe the bugs off with the enclosed cloths. Smells pretty good too...

For tar, I just use a little car wax. The tar comes right off and no clean-up of nasty solvents.

[ October 06, 2003, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: Rick in PA ]

Keep in mind that bug residue is acidic and petroleum based products usually work poorly in removing them.

I've found that citrus based cleaners work better in breaking the bond. But even they won't work well if you've left the bugs on your bumper for months and months. The acids literally eat into the finish, causing permanent damage.

When I detail a car I use a dedicated bug residue remover from Hi Temp Products. Works great - rinse, spray on remover, let it set for 30 seconds, wash off with a mitt.

A fresh coat of wax or sealant will help minimize bug residue in the future.

Well, there were a bunch of bugs on the front of the side mirrors, and those just wiped right off. The bugs around the front plastic took many applications and took so much force to get them off that I was beginning to think they had somehow gotten under the factory clearcoat.

After all that work, though, there were still bugs and dirt all over the lower part of the front fascia. As I washed it, it was very rough to the touch.

I gave up and covered it with spray acid wheel cleaner. Let it sit for about 30-sec, sprayed it again, and wow. All that gunk just wiped right off. I immediately hosed it all down for awhile then washed it a couple times. The paint still looks fine and no bugs.

Of course, I'm going to be keeping the situation under control so this isn't necessary again...

The best thing for bugs I have used is either Simple Green or WD-40.

Of course, WD-40 and duct tape is good for anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back