mothers mag polish for headlights?

Was talking to a local mobile detailer, and he mentioned his new to me method of applying mothers mag polish on uv damaged headlights by hand. Rub on, rub off and it should remove decade old yellowing of the plastic lens. They apply some graphene coating to prevent the same afterwards.

Is this safe for the lens, or a quick and dirty social media university trick like applying bug spray to headlights?

seen the vid, bought mother BUT have yet to try! my 2011 fronty lights need help for sure but dont want to sand + remove material!

I used different products on my Civic and it makes them look nice however in a couple months they haze over. The best way is just buy new headlights which is what I did. You can keep reworking them every couple months which is pretty easy. Some say you can put a UV spray protectant on the headlights however it didn't work that great in my case.

I used different products on my Civic and it makes them look nice however in a couple months they haze over. The best way is just buy new headlights which is what I did. You can keep reworking them every couple months which is pretty easy. Some say you can put a UV spray protectant on the headlights however it didn't work that great in my case.

Wet-Sand and 2K (two component) clearcoat works, and gives better protection then new headlights.
Should be done as soon as possible, especially when new headlights costs 500-1000usd per side. If the lenses are not replaceable.

Xerapol works great on polycarbonate and acrylic plastics. $10 for a tube. You can use metal polishes on plastic but they may not be ideal. I have polished scratched Lexan goggles with wheel polish and it turned out fine. On the headlight lenses I have used Nexus. For protection, I apply an acrylic paint sealant once a month after cleaning. I don't see any yellowing.

Wet-Sand and 2K (two component) clearcoat works, and gives better protection then new headlights.
Should be done as soon as possible, especially when new headlights costs 500-1000usd per side. If the lenses are not replaceable.
I will have to try that sometime. Thanks!

Took these earlier of the FIT . . I think I redid them near the end of OCTOBER . Holding up well thanks to shorter days ( less U.V. ) . There has been salt on roads . Used the TURTLE WAX to seal them which is pictured in the link above .

IMG_2860.JPG
IMG_2861.JPG
IMG_2863.JPG
IMG_2862.JPG
IMG_2864.JPG
IMG_2865.JPG

Looks great, for now at least.
Wax will not hold up to automatic carwash or any degreasers.
There is special compounds that binds with the plastic/polyc and adds new UV protection. But I would not bother even with that.

Just spray 2K clear and be done with it. Holds up to automatic carwashes, endless washer fluids, degreaser and UV.
You can even do a light polish on the clearcoat years later if necessary.

I use it by hand on a 2007 Yaris. Works well enough if given a coat of wax or sealant afterwards.

paco

Project Farm did an extensive review of multiple products, and the Sylvania headlight restoration kit seemed to work really great.

Was talking to a local mobile detailer, and he mentioned his new to me method of applying mothers mag polish on uv damaged headlights by hand. Rub on, rub off and it should remove decade old yellowing of the plastic lens. They apply some graphene coating to prevent the same afterwards.

Is this safe for the lens, or a quick and dirty social media university trick like applying bug spray to headlights?
They make plastic polish for headlights specifically. Not sure if using a product that's designed for metal could cause problems

Back