How to protect against UV clear coat damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PimTac
SirTanon, your comment is spot on and considering the extreme conditions your car endures, the results definitely speak for themselves.

He has some good points - agree.

Depending on what people wish to believe...UV protection is not only included within clear-coat itself, but also some ancillary products - those enhance the UV protection on top of the clear-coat.

Looks like Sir Tanon likes to keep that red exterior in good shape, especially with the potential deteriorating conditions being faced in that climate. It's a bit surprising how many people are in no hurry to get the bird droppings off their vehicle finish...despite its strong acidic properties.

Nice work on the red Focus (also noted the mileage...so likely your engine maintenance receives the same kind of solid care).

[Curious if he sees any difference in how the Nissan and Ford finishes are holding up in that hot climate]

Originally Posted By: Trav
In the 40+ years I have been painting I can tell you with certainty there is no such thing as UV protection that last for more than a very short period of time if at all that can be applied over automotive paint.
The UV protection is in the clear coat, some cars have better clears than others Toyota, Honda and Chrysler vans up till just a few years ago had the worst cases of clear coat failure, regardless of you apply to these vehicles from new there is no way to prevent it other than to garage it during the day.

Clear coats fail for a few reasons..

Improper application of either the primer, paint or clear itself (yes it can happen at the factory), some primers have a dwell time that must be adhered to and paint should be allowed to dwell before applying a second coat and the clear.

Heat, this is a common one on cars that are getting older and someone removed the hood blanket and didn't replace it, now the hood is getting heated from both sides.
Dark cars get much hotter than lighter colored cars, you don't see much failure on white or light colored cars (silvers of any shade are a problem because of their high metallic content).

Material failure..

Inexpensive clear will yellow with aga and harden, once this happens its done, it looses its bond to the paint and falls away.
Contrary to popular belief factory paint is by no stretch of the imagination good paint unless its a very high price model or make.
Yes RR, MB, BMW, Porsche, Exotics, all use a premium paint system, GM paint is good, not quite as good in quality but good, it is applied a little thinner for flatness which US customers like (me too). German and most Euro customers demand orange peel,
Some years ago BMW started applying the clear much flatter and nicer IMO and the customers didn't like it, they mistakenly thought there wasn't enough paint on the car to them orange peel means thicker and more durable paint.

Pigment degradation..

This is common on paints with high metallic content, reds, and yellows mostly, the silvers get so hot it hardens the inexpensive clears that some manufacturers use and the red and yellow picments "die" quickly especially the reds.
When this happens the paint itself looses its bond to the primer and it loosens off taking the clear with it.

The color and type of paint used plays a greater roll in clear coat failure than anything else eg a light silver Honda or Toyota is a much better candidate than a white Chevy.
If your car is a good candidate either use a car port or cover it during daylight hours if you that much patience, just a top cover works fine as they are the areas that take the abuse.

Wash and wax the car as you would normally and forget anything that claims to be special for UV protection, it the real world doesn't exist.

You forgot one. People who use polishes that are too aggressive too often that they actually end up removing all of the clear coat. Factory clear coats these days are very thin and it doesn't take much to remove them...

Originally Posted By: HYUNDAIFAN0001
Originally Posted By: spackard
Jaha42k: when you get your next car get a car cover and use it.
Too late for your current car's finish. I wouldn't bother unless you get it resprayed, but, upholstery and dash plastics got the same dose of UV so even if you get a new paint job you'll soon see those things go bad.

Great suggestion - there are a number of UV protection fabric car covers out there.

Just a few - all claim UV protection (of course):

UV Car Cover provider 1

UV Car Cover provider 2

UV Car Cover provider 3

But of course...there a few naysayer folks who would have us believe nothing works other than the original clear-coat (not car car products, UV covers, etc.). Some of us know better.

Thanks for posting.

The one thing I've never liked about car covers (or bike covers for that matter), is that I've never had one that didn't collect dust and then leave it on the vehicle...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: grampi
The one thing I've never liked about car covers (or bike covers for that matter), is that I've never had one that didn't collect dust and then leave it on the vehicle...

The guy 3 doors down across the street with the 2008 Porsche 911 doesn't seem to mind using his now for years. Uncover it - and the car looks brand new.

SirTanon, your comment is spot on and considering the extreme conditions your car endures, the results definitely speak for themselves.

He has some good points - agree.

Depending on what people wish to believe...UV protection is not only included within clear-coat itself, but also some ancillary products - those enhance the UV protection on top of the clear-coat.

While I don't disagree with this statement, I do question what the actual strength and durability of this added UV protection is. Waxes and sealants, as a whole, are substantially thinner than your average clearcoat, and so I would expect that their UV protection cability, as well as durability, would be substantially weaker. Coatings, on the other hand, do provide a more durable, thicker, and thus stronger UV protection.

Looks like Sir Tanon likes to keep that red exterior in good shape, especially with the potential deteriorating conditions being faced in that climate. It's a bit surprising how many people are in no hurry to get the bird droppings off their vehicle finish...despite its strong acidic properties.

Agreed. Bird droppings are really rough on paint but I don't think your average layperson knows this. Considering how common they are, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were responsible for a very large percentage of clearcoat failures over time.

Nice work on the red Focus (also noted the mileage...so likely your engine maintenance receives the same kind of solid care).

Fusion, not Focus. And, thanks. I do what I can to keep her in good shape. She does get regular engine, trans, and mechanical maintenance as well. I just did the rear brakes, and I must admit I was a bit late, as the inboard driver side pad was completely worn down to the metal. She got new rotors and pads, and full cleanup in the process, so she should be good for another few years.

[Curious if he sees any difference in how the Nissan and Ford finishes are holding up in that hot climate]

Both are holding up spectacularly, although they both get plenty of care. The Altima got a coating when she was new, so it's a bit unfair to compare how her paint is holding up against the Fusion, which gets wax and sealant a few times a year.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Both are holding up spectacularly, although they both get plenty of care. The Altima got a coating when she was new, so it's a bit unfair to compare how her paint is holding up against the Fusion, which gets wax and sealant a few times a year.

Congrats. Looks like the Fusion (got it right this time) and the Altima are both doing well.

Also agree that the surface UV help you get from some car care products is helpful, but durable for only a few months at best - gotta do it regularly. That calls for frequent proper cleaning and protectant "touch up" to sustain the effects. I really like that Chemical Guys Hybrid V07 product on top.

My wife jokes that she doesn't see our SUV dirty much, so it's "hard to tell what it would look like with real dirt on it". It gets regular 5-6 step care quarterly and in-between care monthly (or more if I feel the urge). The interior gets the same loving care.

I've found that many folks who maintain their vehicle exteriors diligently usually do the same for the mechanical upkeep. That's the case here.

I find paint stays in good shape,it’s the plastic mouldings that fall to pieces from the sun.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I find paint stays in good shape,it’s the plastic mouldings that fall to pieces from the sun.

There are a lot of good products that protect the black plastic trim. The better ones incorporate uv protection. It’s best to start using these from the start.

There are a lot of good products that protect the black plastic trim. The better ones incorporate uv protection. It’s best to start using these from the start.

Agree. Our SUV trim gets treated like the rest of the exterior regularly. Keeps it like new and protected.

My take - The clearcoat protects the paint.. but you have to protect the clearcoat if you want it to last.

- Wash the car regularly, and above all, if you see contaminants on it, like bird poop or something else that could damage the clearcoat, clean it off as soon as you can.

- 'Wax' the car regularly, whether it be wax, or a sealant, or something in the middle.. or even a coating of some kind.

- Use a spray wax to keep the wax 'topped off'

While what you put over the clearcoat may not necessarily protect it from the sun, it WILL help protect it from the elements and whatever else ends up coming in contact with it. Stuff like bird poop, acid rain, etc... can and will wear out a clear coat prematurely. Keeping it clean and well topped will help minimize it, even in the harshest climates..

I've used my car as an example in the past, but I feel that it's a good one.. My 2010 Fusion gets parked outside 24/7. Even at home, it's parked in the driveway. I live in Phoenix, where we get harsh sun and brutal summer heat (115F and up frequently).. but I wash my car regulary, I keep a close eye out for bird bombs, etc.. I wax the car a few times a year, and I hit it with a spray wax like D156 after each wash. The car is nearly 9 years old, but the paint is still in top shape:

Nice! Which specific products do u use besides the meguiars spray wax (which I assume is ultimate quick wax?)

FOR GRAY/BLACK PLASTIC TRIM UV PROTECTION ---

This stuff actually works pretty easily...and protects for some time.

The only negative reviews you'll ever read are from those folks who used it on metal or other materials thinking it was like some kind of paint or something (and not reading any instructions apparently) - rather than restoring and protecting PLASTIC TRIM, which is what it's designed for. With just some common sense and easy wipe-on application...this stuff does a great job on dark/gray plastic trim. Following a car washing...our black trim on the SUV took all of 5 minutes to wipe on...even taking our time doing it carefully.

My neighbor's been using it on his black truck trim for about 2 years, and just last month is the first time he's redone it. Until now, it looks like new trim for the past 2 years.

WIPE NEW

The guy 3 doors down across the street with the 2008 Porsche 911 doesn't seem to mind using his now for years. Uncover it - and the car looks brand new.

I need to find out what kind he has...I've never had a cover that wasn't a dust magnet...

I need to find out what kind he has...I've never had a cover that wasn't a dust magnet...

Here ya go...I asked him...

Car covers

Here ya go...I asked him...

Car covers

Thanks!

Thanks!

You're welcome...and thank you for your service.

You're welcome!

Originally Posted By: Jaha24k
My take - The clearcoat protects the paint.. but you have to protect the clearcoat if you want it to last.

- Wash the car regularly, and above all, if you see contaminants on it, like bird poop or something else that could damage the clearcoat, clean it off as soon as you can.

- 'Wax' the car regularly, whether it be wax, or a sealant, or something in the middle.. or even a coating of some kind.

While what you put over the clearcoat may not necessarily protect it from the sun, it WILL help protect it from the elements and whatever else ends up coming in contact with it. Stuff like bird poop, acid rain, etc... can and will wear out a clear coat prematurely. Keeping it clean and well topped will help minimize it, even in the harshest climates..

I've used my car as an example in the past, but I feel that it's a good one.. My 2010 Fusion gets parked outside 24/7. Even at home, it's parked in the driveway. I live in Phoenix, where we get harsh sun and brutal summer heat (115F and up frequently).. but I wash my car regulary, I keep a close eye out for bird bombs, etc.. I wax the car a few times a year, and I hit it with a spray wax like D156 after each wash. The car is nearly 9 years old, but the paint is still in top shape:

Nice! Which specific products do u use besides the meguiars spray wax (which I assume is ultimate quick wax?)

To wash - I have Eagle One nano wash, Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II, and Megs Gold Class

Waxes - I have quite a few.. but my faves are Collinite 845, Finish Kare FK1000p, Blackfire Midnight Sun and Megs NXT 2.0 Tech Wax Paste.

Spray Wax - Meguiars D156 (detailer's line equivalent of Ultimate Quik Wax) and Eagle One Nano Wax

Waterless Wash - Pinnacle Liquid Crystal and Wolfgang Uber (technically a rinseless, but I use it as a WW)

Plastics and interior - Aerospace 303. I also use this on the tires.

Microfibers - Too many to mention.. but the paint only ever sees Microfiber. To dry, I typically use Megs 'Water Magnet' or similar.

.. on the rare occasion I need to do a paint correction, I typically use Megs products. M105 and M205, Ultimate Compound and Polish, and Megs Cleaner Wax, depending on how much work needs to be done.

Originally Posted By: Jaha24k

To wash - I have Eagle One nano wash, Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II, and Megs Gold Class

Waxes - I have quite a few.. but my faves are Collinite 845, Finish Kare FK1000p, Blackfire Midnight Sun and Megs NXT 2.0 Tech Wax Paste.

Spray Wax - Meguiars D156 (detailer's line equivalent of Ultimate Quik Wax) and Eagle One Nano Wax

Waterless Wash - Pinnacle Liquid Crystal and Wolfgang Uber (technically a rinseless, but I use it as a WW)

Plastics and interior - Aerospace 303. I also use this on the tires.

Microfibers - Too many to mention.. but the paint only ever sees Microfiber. To dry, I typically use Megs 'Water Magnet' or similar.

.. on the rare occasion I need to do a paint correction, I typically use Megs products. M105 and M205, Ultimate Compound and Polish, and Megs Cleaner Wax, depending on how much work needs to be done.

I use the Finish Kare 1000 for the specific reason that it does not break down in the heat here in FL. In my case it last twice as long than everything else I have tried including what you have mentioned and then some.

FOR GRAY/BLACK PLASTIC TRIM UV PROTECTION ---

This stuff actually works pretty easily...and protects for some time.

The only negative reviews you'll ever read are from those folks who used it on metal or other materials thinking it was like some kind of paint or something (and not reading any instructions apparently) - rather than restoring and protecting PLASTIC TRIM, which is what it's designed for. With just some common sense and easy wipe-on application...this stuff does a great job on dark/gray plastic trim. Following a car washing...our black trim on the SUV took all of 5 minutes to wipe on...even taking our time doing it carefully.

My neighbor's been using it on his black truck trim for about 2 years, and just last month is the first time he's redone it. Until now, it looks like new trim for the past 2 years.

WIPE NEW

Have you ever tried Forever Black? Its a dye not a silicone type treatment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back