One step UV protection?

Picked up some fancy Morimoto headlights for my wife's truck and looking to prevent UV damage since we will be keeping it for a long time (which is why I ponied up for the Mori's). In the past I have had some pretty good results with Blue Magic Headlight Lens Sealer- my 2011 finally started showing a hint of fogging along the edges and its parked outside 24/7 mostly facing the sun. In fact, that didn't even start until the past 2 years when I've really fallen off my detailing bandwagon due to work/kids/etc. Only problem is that its a bit of a PITA as you have to make sure the headlamps are nice and clean and then buff it in. Doesn't dry like a wax, I believe its a silicone oil but no way to know for sure.

I'm familiar with most of the common solutions such as 303 Aerospace, various spray waxes/sealants and then of course automotive carnuaba/wax/sealant. IN a perfect work I'd want something like Meguiars waterless wash and wax so that its a one-and-done thing that I can run out and do while the kids are distracted. But I'm not convinced that offers much UV protection at all. Any thoughts on better options? Or am I really stuck with the buff-in type protectant after a wipe down with ONR?

Attachments

• 28579C9E-C7D1-4A56-8E52-59F1715D5378.jpeg
    28579C9E-C7D1-4A56-8E52-59F1715D5378.jpeg
    134.2 KB · Views: 19
  • A8768A23-23D4-4F21-AEE1-3DEB1EBB4F49.jpeg
    A8768A23-23D4-4F21-AEE1-3DEB1EBB4F49.jpeg
    206.5 KB · Views: 19
I generally believe the max life for a spray-on product is about a month maybe two depending on your environment. A quality sealant may give you up to 6 months, ceramic coating much longer.

Unfortunately, at least in my opinion, there is no smoking gun here. Just need to choose how often you want to do it and that dictates your product.

The only proven long-term UV protection for headlights is to apply paint protection film (PPF). I have one headlight on my Prius that is over 10 years old and still looks perfect.

Back