How to prevent EZ Pass transponder from being read?

Mine lives in bottom half of a center console and it gets picked up no problem. I belive the bags they ship in are foil lined

Aluminum foil works reliably. I have 2 transponders in each truck 1 commercial and 1 personal (pay more for com toll when loaded). Depending on the toll reader, some are strong enough to read a transponder even if it's sitting on the floor (learned this the hard way $$$).

I just toss mine out the window before the toll plaza, and I stop and pick it up on the way back.

Pocket knife. Wait, what? You plan on stabbing someone?
Only if my Glock misfires.

A knife is just another tool. I have carried one since I was six years old. Open packages, cut fishing line, cut the tags off of my wife's new dress, peel an apple, use as a screw driver in a pinch, use as a gasket scraper, envelope opener, cut the tag end from a wire tie, cut flowers from the garden, trim fuel line to length. These are things I've used my pocket knife for in the last week.

From your comment atikovi I assume you are a city boy. Move further south and you will find that most men carry a pocket knife for very practical reasons.

Last edited:
1667831666787.jpg

Only if my Glock misfires.

A knife is just another tool. I have carried one since I was six years old. Open packages, cut fishing line, cut the tags off of my wife's new dress, peel an apple, use as a screw driver in a pinch, use as a gasket scraper, envelope opener, cut the tag end from a wire tie, cut flowers from the garden, trim fuel line to length. These are things I've used my pocket knife for in the last week.

From your comment atikovi I assume you are a city boy. Move further south and you will find that most men carry a pocket knife for very practical reasons.
Ha ha. Maybe I am a city boy. Never owned a pocket knife in my life. My packages are delivered to my home and have a razor blade or kitchen knife to open them, I get my fish at the supermarket, don't have a wife or wear dresses, eat apples with the skin on, better for you, I'll use a correct screwdriver when I need one, same for a gasket scraper, and use a kitchen knife for the rest of those things.

Ha ha. Maybe I am a city boy. Never owned a pocket knife in my life. My packages are delivered to my home and have a razor blade or kitchen knife to open them, I get my fish at the supermarket, don't have a wife or wear dresses, eat apples with the skin on, better for you, I'll use a correct screwdriver when I need one, same for a gasket scraper, and use a kitchen knife for the rest of those things.
So it appears you are a stay at home boy also. I take it you've never field dressed a deer, skinned a rabbit, or gutted a wild hog either?

The transponders for the toll roads here in California are a metallic bar code type sticker that is supposed to be placed on the inside of the windshield up near the rear view mirror. Rather than doing that, I stuck the transponder onto a credit card sized piece of clear plastic cut from a juice bottle and I keep that in my glove box. When I am going to be driving on one of the toll roads I just wedge that piece of plastic in the corner of the windshield between the glass and the dash.

However, one day I forgot to do that. And I was billed as usual. I also don't have front license plates on my cars so either the transponder can be read whether or not it is on the windshield or they are using cameras to read license plates on the front and rear and billing based upon the plate number.

However, one day I forgot to do that. And I was billed as usual. I also don't have front license plates on my cars so either the transponder can be read whether or not it is on the windshield or they are using cameras to read license plates on the front and rear and billing based upon the plate number.

They do use cameras as a backup in case the transponder isn't read. That's why you are supposed to give EZ-Pass the license plate number of the vehicle you are using the transponder in.

Like if I have the transponder with me but I'm a passenger in somebody elses car so I don't want it to be read when going through a toll both. Keep it in my pocket? Down low by the floor?
My EZ pass transponder expired. Both the online instructions for return and the paperwork said to simply wrap the old transponder in aluminum foil when returning to avoid any charges on unit. The new one was shipped to me wrapped in plain old aluminum foil as well. No, unwanted charges on either the old one or the new one. My conclusion is that tin foil works well to block the signal.

A mue metal box completely enclosing the device will block radio signals. Faraday pouches are mew metal pouches. Enough layers of aluminum foil wrapped around it and closed off on all ends with block the radio signal also. The thicker the metal containment the better it is a blocking radio signals. Putting it in a dutch oven would be a very good way of blocking radio signals.

Metal boxes such as cookie tins and metal jewelry boxes would probably be also be very good.

Why? Live in a bad 'hood?
I've read three articles where a pocket knife saved someone's life. Car on fire in a crash, seatbelt jammed, pocket knife saves the day. Vicious dog attacking child, can't pull big dog off kid, pocket knife convinces dog to run off, last one's highly unlikely, rowboat gets sucked into dam, being pulled under, one passenger ends up with anchor rope wrapped around foot, again pocket knife saves the day. Oh, and it's also one of Gibb's rules, "never go anywhere without a knife" :)

I vote 2x for steel cookie tins. I did engineering work shielding "sensitive" electronics in the last decade. Spec was a tight weave copper screen. It's important also to seal up any "slits" longer than 0.738 x 0.092" depending on rf signal spec. regular metal door screen should work also.

Try the desired packaging on your cell phone to verify if wifi or 4g comms is lost

Back