How to lubricate door hinges

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Seriously... call me stupid, but how do you really do it to get a fair amount of lube in?

I went to my basement and pulled a few things - white lithium, spray chain lube and WD-40 (all aerosol cans).

I sprayed WD-40 into the hinge, trying to make sure I drove out the water. That went on/in OK it seems... then the mess.

Lithium grease makes a mess - no doubt. Chain lube does too. It just globs out. Given the aerosol cans, you can't really throttle the stream. SO you get a mess. You're in a corner, with limited space to put a hand or rag, it doesn't really get into the hinge. It sits, globs, and drips/flows onto rubber parts (which likely isn't good).

Am I missing something? Is this hinge (from my 91 BMW 318i) not serviceable? Is it something that the stupid aerosol with red straw cans just isn't designed for?

IMG_1827.jpg

IMG_1828.jpg

IMG_1829.jpg

IMG_1830.jpg

I see a hex nut on the hinges. Does it come apart? I'd take it apart, clean out the old lube, butter up with new grease, and reinstall. What surfaces you can't reach, just dribble oil at the crevices.

There is a hex nut, and a flat screw with a horseshoe washer on it on the other side.

THing is, they are all painted shut from the factory...

Am I stuck with oil for that kind of crevice in the middle? Doesnt seem that aerosol is fit for the bill, given that it coats everthing and barely goes in. Seems that a liquid dribble would be superior for those hinges.

Or am I missing something?

Thanks!

God I wish you guys had Krown Rust-control down there... Thems-some ugly hinges.
smirk2.gif

Use a high quality penetrating fluid then use a good rust-proofing spray that leaves a thick oily coat.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
God I wish you guys had Krown Rust-control down there... Thems-some ugly hinges.
smirk2.gif

I wish so too... but the hinges are not rusty. It is a collection of dirt and a variety of greases mixed. You should have seen them before I cleaned them off!

No rust there, fortunately... but a tiny bit on the weld on the bottom of the door...
frown.gif

well, that is kind of what Im wondering - perhgaps this type of hinge is just not one that gets grease as lube...

But thing is, none of these aerosol can products seem to make their way in... MP is another aerosol product - I have my doubts for this specific hinge at least...

Really? It seems to more or less expand right out of the can. Perhaps I shook the can and shouldn't?

See, Im just missing something, or overthinking it...

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
I use white lithium grease. Just get the cracks/joints.

That's worked for me. I've never had a squeaky door or some other automotive hinge-related lubrication issues. Work the grease into the joints, wipe off excess, done.

Originally Posted By: moribundman

That's worked for me. I've never had a squeaky door or some other automotive hinge-related lubrication issues. Work the grease into the joints, wipe off excess, done.

Aerosol or in a tube? Aerosol seems to make such a mess. Maybe Im just a slob.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back