Best throttle cable lubricant?

So I know you're supposed to lube your throttle cables and clutch cable once in a while. Wondering if anyone has any advice on what spray lubricant to use?

I'm using one of those funky Motion Pro cable-lubers where you essentially seal off the cable end on one side and have a little port to spray into (sized for the standard red straws that come on aerosol cans) and it builds pressure and pushes lube through to the other end of the cable.

I know there is actual motorcycle cable lube, but I'm guessing it's just a rebranded basic lubricant of some sort! Trying to avoid buying hundreds of different lubricants for each tiny job, but also curious what the best lubricant for cables might be!??

This last round I just used WD40, but I know it's a water displacement (WD) compound with a thin oil, and I've seen it gunk up locks, door hinges, etc - so figured probably not best. I was thinking an aerosol dry lubricant with PTFE perhaps would work well?? Maybe hit the cable with break clean or something similar first to flush out contaminants and then lube with PTFE spray...

I have always used Blaster products and this is what I would use for your application.

Use any chain and cable lube. This video said to stay away from WD40. If you want to clean out the old lube I would use contact cleaner instead of brake cleaner.

I think This is more of a "how than what" type of lubrication question. You can buy attachments that will assure proper lubricant distribution. This is better than just shooting it into the end of the cable, then let gravity do the rest. Bicycle racers use these type of devices all the time to assure the lube gets where it needs to go.

I think you’re guessing wrong.

Sure, the base ingredient is oil, but the rest of the formulation of cable lube is very different from other specialized products.

WD-40 is an atrocious choice. It’s not a lubricant, and it turns to gum when present in quantity, like you’ve done in your cables.

How much do you use? A couple of good shots through a cable luber and you’re done. An aerosol can will provide dozens of applications. When I had a dirt bike, and did my cables every month, a can of cable lube would last for over a year. On your street bike, done annually, a can will last many years.

How much would you actually save over the life of the can? How much would it cost to replace a cable that’s been gummed up by garbage like WD-40?

What should you use to lube your cables?

Cable lube.

I use a spray can of cable / chain lube. It comes with one of those red tubes to guide the juice where you want it. I use it for cable's, and any place where two metal parts rub together. Like Cables, shifter heim joints, or hinges. I use it a squirt a couple times a year to keep things sliding smoothly. I don't have a chain on anything that needs to be lubed, but the can says you can use it for them. The stuff I use was bought in a bike shop, but if I had a chain on my bike, I would use the stuff that looks to have a waxy appearance to it so it would cling better and not get flung off. My 2 cents.,,,

Definitely use a chain and cable lube. Astro14 has it right on the money for why.
I bought Liquid Wrench chain and cable lube, and it works easily and cleanly. I don't like having a ton of products that can't be used for just 1 thing, but I've found that this stuff can be used for a lot. I've had it for probably 6 years, and when it gets empty, I won't try to substitute anything to fill its place--I'd buy it again. Lots of places carry it.

Modern Teflon lined cables don't require lube... consequently I run my throttle cables dry...

I machined my own quick throttle out of Delrin for that silky smooth feel...

P1013853.JPG

RC45QuickThrottleBrembo.JPG

I just used plain old motor oil to lube my clutch cable. In my case, Mobil 1 0w40 that I have left over from when I used to own a VW GTI. I constructed a funnel by cutting a hole in a small ziplock bag then pulling the cable through the hole and putting some rubber bands around it, then just poured a capful of motor oil into it.

Is this sufficient or should I purchase a lube specific for cables?

I just used plain old motor oil to lube my clutch cable. In my case, Mobil 1 0w40 that I have left over from when I used to own a VW GTI. I constructed a funnel by cutting a hole in a small ziplock bag then pulling the cable through the hole and putting some rubber bands around it, then just poured a capful of motor oil into it.

Is this sufficient or should I purchase a lube specific for cables?
Is it working out for you ? If so , why change ?

I pull the cable out on the throttle end, put a couple of drops of 30 weight or whatever oil is open in the garage at the cable/sheath hole juncture, work the cable back and forth, then repeat a few times. Install the cable, gravity is going to work the oil down lower. Can't agree or disagree with modern cables not needing lube, however it's something I do on my bikes. With that said, if I purchase a new throttle cable for my 20 year old bike is it going to be Teflon lined? I would suspect most parts for older bikes need lube as the manufacturers probably made them up years ago in the specific lengths with end fittings.

I used Castrol Chain lube. I first used it on my old Mazda 3 parking brake cable, after freeing it, and it lasted there for years without re-application. I used it for all sorts of things actually, but I never liked it as an actual motorcycle chain lubricant, it did good on bicycle chains though.

Since I cannot find it in states, I use motor oil or gear oil now.

Many people or pages in the internet tell you that modern cables have a teflon lining inside and you should not lube them becasue of this, but they dont tell you a sound technical reason WHY you should not do this.

Everytime i lube the cables, the difference is really noticeably. The biggest german motorcyle chain store has a dedicated cable lube spray. This stuff has a brown colour, is very thin and smells nasty, disgusting. But it works. The white grease chain spray is to sticky, in my expirience.
A thin silicone oil (Spray can) should also work, i guess.

Many people or pages in the internet tell you that modern cables have a teflon lining inside and you should not lube them becasue of this, but they dont tell you a sound technical reason WHY you should not do this.
Modern Teflon lined cables don't require lube... the grease will mix
with dirt and create grit that will saw through the Teflon quicker
than if it were dry...
attachment.php

How does liquid lubricant with dirt/dust building up over time cause inert Teflon to wear away quicker than if it was just dry Teflon inside with the same amount of dirt and dust in the sheath?

The explanation is good, but i think this applies more to a Motorcross bike and / or when you use a lube that is sticky. Teflon itself should withstand most chemicals, to my knowledge.

When you think about it, dont you clean the cables inside and maybe flush out the dirt when you lubricate them liberaly with a thin fluid until it drips out on the oposite end? :unsure:

Yes, Teflon is inert to my knowledge and should not be affected by lube, that part of the question was rhetorical in nature. Lubricated or not, it's safe to say the same amount of dirt will find its way in. Therefore, how does lubrication combined Teflon coating cause that dirt to wear the inner cable housing more quickly?

BLS, can you address that with your knowledge of the subject?

Back