Tool Lubrication Spray

Hello all.

I am looking for any recommendations for a spray lubrication for tools in a tool chest.

I know WD-40 will work, but as people have said, its long term lube and rust prevention leaves a lot to be desired.

I have narrowed it down to 2 lubes.

Lucas Extreme Duty CLP
Fluidfilm

Both from what I have seen do a great job at rust prevention and most of my tools are stored in my garage.

If anyone can provide any other suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

I use Fluid Film for my vehicles and rifles and it works well.

I've also used CRC SP400 a few times and it's made for rust prevention on tools and machinery, I haven't used it enough to have a solid opinion on it but you may want too look at it.

Fluid Film is less expensive and easier to find then the CRC sp400.

Whatever lube you already have should work just fine .
That could be the right answer. If the tools are put away clean then I would just give them a light coating of whatever clean oil you have on hand.

Hello all.

I am looking for any recommendations for a spray lubrication for tools in a tool chest.

I know WD-40 will work, but as people have said, its long term lube and rust prevention leaves a lot to be desired.

I have narrowed it down to 2 lubes.

Lucas Extreme Duty CLP
Fluidfilm

Both from what I have seen do a great job at rust prevention and most of my tools are stored in my garage.

If anyone can provide any other suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.
KROIL

WD-40 it doesnt stink like sheep butt or Pb blaster and its great for that use.

I already use Starrett Tool/Instrument oil on my measuring tools. If I see the need to oil my hand tools, I just use this. It's kind of pricey for this, but I don't need for more stuff to trip over.

I have a bag of VCI chips someplace that I would use if I could find it.

Depending upon what I’m dealing with, I use ballistol, lanolin, or corrosion x.

In terms of preference and usage:

Ballistol is my go to because it is harmless. Tools that will have skin time get this because I don’t really want oils and additives on my skin, and this casual touch for long periods is a path. Some say that ballistol doesn’t work as well or gunks up. I’ve seen neither as the case. It probably is a lighter oil but it’s clean, safe, and works for tools in a box or bag.

Lanolin (fluid film which smells at first application but goes away, or woolwax which does not smell at all due to being somehow deodorized) works well for surfaces that don’t have as much touch (because it lingers and is heavier), and needs an absolutely enduring coating. I prefer lanolin from a can versus aerosol, as that really stays well. It’s thicker from a can than the aerosol which gets cut to help it spray, and as a result may creep more but is not as tenacious. Both will linger though, it’s just that the aerosol is less viscous.

Corrosion X is a great product to provide an oily coating. It stinks bad (different than non-deodorized lanolin but still nasty) but works well IME. It has polar additives and who knows what else. It will wash with water, it will stain green, but as an oil wipe down or for parts that you want an oily coating vs heavier lanolin, this works well. I just don’t want to touch it or to have it touch me or my stuff, which is why it is more seldomly used on my tools, but used often in other applications I have.

Last edited:
Silicone [impregnated] towel. Intended for gun or musical instruments. Find them at like Brownells or Amazon. (Don’t smell, good ballance of protection and not too greasy residue).

This stuff works... but man does it smell...

ballistol.jpg

Back