Hood latch grease

JHZR2

Staff member
I’ll start by saying that I’m generally not a fan of white lithium. It dries out, it gunks up, it’s just not great.

I think I have a sticky hood latch on one of my cars. I think I need to spray it out and clean with brake parts cleaner…. Or remove it and soak it…

Then regrease or lube.

What’s the best bet product? I’ve actually seen some folks mention ptfe dry lube. That doesn’t pick up as much junk.

This question is probably as relevant for hinges and pivot points too. All get dirty, pick up junk, are hard to flush out completely…

Recommendations?

You're on the right track. Soak it. Imagine a new one from the factory, why would it need grease? It doesn't move, much.

At some point in ownership we think, aha, it needs grease, but IMO the solvent from the grease cleans the initial problem but the grease that sticks around makes it a sticky gooey mess after not much more time.

I'm on the side of the WD 40 but graphite in a solvent (probably alcohol and carb cleaner) would work too.

You're on the right track. Soak it. Imagine a new one from the factory, why would it need grease? It doesn't move, much.

At some point in ownership we think, aha, it needs grease, but IMO the solvent from the grease cleans the initial problem but the grease that sticks around makes it a sticky gooey mess after not much more time.

I'm on the side of the WD 40 but graphite in a solvent (probably alcohol and carb cleaner) would work too.
WD-40 gunks up though in time.

To flush and clean something sure. But it’s not a lube.

I’d consider graphite. I’d consider oil. I’d consider 00 grease.

I use grease on all of my vehicles. Over time, if it dries up or thinned out, I will re-apply some more grease

GM recommends Super Lube with Teflon.

5BA36C45-2E23-451A-86EF-F6681A144D8C.jpg

make sure the latch lines up correctly to the base,just some good spray lube,like schaeffers pentro 90 or ,tri-flow also works real well

I've owned vehicles for 50 years and I don't think I've ever lubed a hood latch .
Well my 33 year old car which has two latches, had one that wasn’t closing properly. It was the old, gunked up grease, oil, and dirt.

I cleaned it with a dose of CRC 3-36 and some paper towels. It works perfect again. But the 3-36 won’t last long in that service.

Any of the chain and cable fluids will work fine. Clean it with WD40 or even some Gunk degreaser first blow it out before lubricating

I'd clean it with WD-40. After the WD-40 evaporates in a few days or a week ( and it will) , i'd use a silicone spray lube. Not as heavy as grease, should not hold as much dirt.

Back