How to lubricate door hinges

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: moribundman

That's worked for me. I've never had a squeaky door or some other automotive hinge-related lubrication issues. Work the grease into the joints, wipe off excess, done.

Aerosol or in a tube? Aerosol seems to make such a mess. Maybe Im just a slob.

Hold a paper towel tightly around the white lithium grease aerosol tube and the joint you want it to go into. That minimizes the mess.

I've used Wurth HHS 2000 in those types of applications and it works great. It sprays out almost penetrating oil thin, then the carrier evaporates and it becomes a super tacky grease.

Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
Ha you cuaght it before I edited. I just get whatever the hinge is into that night!
Quickest Keyboard in the North!
LOL.gif

Ok, lets get back on topic... It's a mods thread.
45.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: XS650

Hold a paper towel tightly around the white lithium grease aerosol tube and the joint you want it to go into. That minimizes the mess.

But then you have a hard time aiming it, so how thick do you actually let it get sprayed on?

Do you wipe it clean after spraying it and letting it sit? How thick of a coat should be left?

Dumb questions Im sure, but I want to be sure Im doing it right, if there is a "correct" technique...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

But then you have a hard time aiming it, so how thick do you actually let it get sprayed on?

Do you wipe it clean after spraying it and letting it sit? How thick of a coat should be left?

Stick the tube right on the joint and then hold it in place with the paper towel.

Use the shortest toots you can right at the joint. When you wipe it try to leave grease on any open joint. Wipe it all off the outside unless you need it for rust protection, that only collects dirt.

It's an imprecise process which is OK because as long as you get a little bit of lube in it will work it's way around the pin as you use the door.

The paper towel also helps keep you from bouncing it off the hinge back into your face.

Last edited:
I have 1% or less of the number of posts that others on this thread have, so I'm sure my suggestion will reflect that...

I would squirt tranny fluid on that hinge...

Super Lube's PTFE spray works well for hinges, locks too. Its also a thin product on application that turns to a light grease when dry.

Easiest place to find it usually is at a GM parts counter.

I don't like that spray lithium grease, it makes too big a mess. I use 90 wt. gear oil. Seems to work just fine.

18.gif
18.gif
18.gif

OK, beating a dead horse, but it is still important to me. Looked at the hinges this morning, in yet another rain storm. The water comes down in the hinge area, and water covers the hinges. When the door is opened, water gets into the hinge point on the door stop, which si surrounded by a rubber gasket.

I would imagine that though the hinges do not appear willing to accept grease, that I should indeed keep a coating of grease on them in order to prevent water from sitting directly on the parts. Good thought?

If so, how thick of a coat - again the issue being that you cannot really throttle an aerosol can, and it makes a goopy mess. perhaps brushing on some other grease is a smarter idea, if it is just used for preventing water intrusion to a space (Amsoil HDMP being the other idea).

THanks again!

Just about anything suggested so far will lube your hinge well enough, but you have to actually do it rather than post about it.
grin2.gif

What surprises me is that no one has started frothing at the mouth and said you need 0W-20 or your hinge will have dry start-ups and no one has recommended ARx.
LOL.gif

I have read what some of the OEMs recommend for the door hinges. It see some say lithium grease, and some say motor oil. I'm with you on the mess thing. I don't like the mess spray greas makes, or even oil. I also don't think grease can even get into some of the hinge crannies.

I use Amsoil MP, not the HD MP. Even if you over spray it's fairly clean. I think it does a decent job and have been using it on different cars for about ten years. Most people never touch their hinges with any lube. But you don't see worn out hinges very often. Not like the old Detroit 2 door muscle cars with doors that weigh 400 lbs and are 5 feet long.

I also use the Amsoil MP to spray the lock latch assy. I have had the latch assy switch for the dome light get stuck and the MP freed it up. I think an oil like 3 in 1 would work pretty well. It is clear and very fluid and has some protection of wear and keeps the metal from rusting. I might even try some on the hinges. I like something easy to apply, does not make a mess, and has some wear/rust protection.

I figure if I use it fairly often that is good. I use clear silicone grease on the sliders.

Just about anything suggested so far will lube your hinge well enough, but you have to actually do it rather than post about it.
grin2.gif

What surprises me is that no one has started frothing at the mouth and said you need 0W-20 or your hinge will have dry start-ups and no one has recommended ARx.
LOL.gif

Actually I think Auto-RX would work better than spray grease.

Many manufacturers suggest engine oil like oilboy commented. Referencing the photos, you may not be able to send any aerosol grease to innards -looks quite sealed. Engine oil, on the contrary, continiously creeps. I'd spare some best engine oil and dribble it around the crevices, especially around the middle washer, only as thick as it would cling. About three days needed for diffusion then I'd wipe clean. Should be good for six months.

90-95% non detergent 30w motor oil mixed with 5-10% MMO is what I use to lube lots of things just like this. Works great. I find the thin spray lubes just don't have a good film strength to lube properly, and dry out quickly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back