How to Get the Most Fuel Economy

After many decades of experiments the answer is obvious yet it is not what people talk about. The test cars:

# ONE, Driving Habits
The trouble is that this type of driving annoys the people behind me, you must be careful these days. How is this achieved?
My definition of a good driver is one who rarely uses the brakes. This is done by constantly looking as far ahead as you can, in some cases a mile or so.

AEHaas

PS: Next Topic - Coal Burning Cars
Agree with you on most. My thing is I attempt to place car in cruise control as often as possible for two reasons.

#1 Less meetings on side the road with Traffic police, hence no tickets.

#2 It does very effectively improve mpg.

Now your comment: annoys the people behind me, you must be careful these days. I see this every time I am on the road ways.
Young ladies, er little girls to me, basting thru stop signs (or pause signs to them) like someone is chasing them. Then on the roadways,
almost run into or run over me because they are doing 20-30 mph over the posted speed limits. Oh, and also as they zoom past you
they have no idea or even seem to give a ****ed to use that wonderful item, the turn signal. It is wild out there these days. Last night
in a town near here a young juvenile (caught already) followed an elderly person off a 60mph highway into a residential neighborhood
cause he felt disrespected or some bull (road rage) and jumped out and shot and killed the person in his driveway. The deceased's wife says
neither one of them were even aware the guy was following them and had no clue what angered him.

Last edited:
Young ladies, er little girls to me, basting thru stop signs (or pause signs to them) like someone is chasing them. Then on the roadways,
almost run into or run over me because they are doing 20-30 mph over the posted speed limits. Oh, and also as they zoom past you
they have no idea or even seem to give a ****ed to use that wonderful item, the turn signal. It is wild out there these days.
I've noticed the same thing. Most tailgaters these days seem to be young females.

In my experience, most females can not judge distance or the speed of the vehicle in front of them. And good luck on trying to get them to apply the Smith System. Most will either stand on the fuel or the brakes. They don’t know how to use either one efficiently.

Agree with you on most. My thing is I attempt to place car in cruise control as often as possible for two reasons.

#1 Less meetings on side the road with Traffic police, hence no tickets.

#2 It does very effectively improve mpg.

Now your comment: annoys the people behind me, you must be careful these days. I see this every time I am on the road ways.
they have no idea or even seem to give a ****ed to use that wonderful item, the turn signal. It is wild out there these days. Last night
in a town near here a young juvenile (caught already) followed an elderly person off a 60mph highway into a residential neighborhood
cause he felt disrespected or some bull (road rage) and jumped out and shot and killed the person in his driveway. The deceased's wife says
neither one of them were even aware the guy was following them and had no clue what angered him.
That's why I carry every time I get in the car. Wallet, keys, phone, 9mm. People are crazy...

In my experience, most females can not judge distance or the speed of the vehicle in front of them. And good luck on trying to get them to apply the Smith System. Most will either stand on the fuel or the brakes. They don’t know how to use either one efficiently.
I've noticed this in my wife. Always follows too close to car ahead of her. I've been unable to get her to break this habit,. Also she stomps on the brakes.

Most people who tailgate don't for some reason know/realize that if they are 2 feet or 200 ft off the car ahead that they are still going the same speed and getting to point B at the same rate. I think tailgaters believe if they ride up on you that you will go faster or pull over, which is a passive aggressive thing going on. If they can't pass safely, then they should just chill and follow at an appropriate safe distance. Pass when the time is right, but don't get all passive aggressive about it.

Most people who tailgate don't for some reason know/realize that if they are 2 feet or 200 ft off the car ahead that they are still going the same speed and getting to point B at the same rate. I think tailgaters believe if they ride up on you that you will go faster or pull over, which is a passive aggressive thing going on. If they can't pass safely, then they should just chill and follow at an appropriate safe distance. Pass when the time is right, but don't get all passive aggressive about it.
Some states have a law against riding in the passing lane.

Some states have a law against riding in the passing lane.
There are plenty of two lane roads where people still tailgate. I've had people tailgate me on two lane curvy roads where there is absolutely no place to safely pass unless you have a 500+ HP car or a Hayabusa. Have also had people tailgage on muti-lane roads even though I'm not in the fast/passing lane. What sense is that as a driver when they could go around me in the passing lane ... complete idiots on the roads. Of course of you're on a big multi-lane interstate don't cruise in the left lane and let people ride your arse ... get over and let them go by.

Just to add to original intent of this thread…….

With the advent of modern charging systems, a fully charged battery will reduce fuel consumption. When I work on my car at work, I put it on one of our factory smart chargers. I normally see at least a 1L/100km improvement in FE on my drive home after doing that.

Just food for thought.

There are plenty of two lane roads where people still tailgate. I've had people tailgate me on two lane curvy roads where there is absolutely no place to safely pass unless you have a 500+ HP car or a Hayabusa. Have also had people tailgage on muti-lane roads even though I'm not in the fast/passing lane. What sense is that as a driver when they could go around me in the passing lane ... complete idiots on the roads. Of course of you're on a big multi-lane interstate don't cruise in the left lane and let people ride your arse ... get over and let them go by.
I had a friend that absolutely loved it when people tailgated him. This was years ago, but this is what he used to do (surprised he’s not dead now)...he would do this right in the fast lane on the freeway...he’d drop his automatic transmission from D to 2. No warning, no brake lights. The car would drop in speed by (I don’t know how much) but it was a LOT and quickly. The driver behind us would lock up the brakes and skid. Very dangerous obviously. Very. I’m sure he burnt through a few trannies back then, seem to remember him ruining at least one, but he didn’t care, he was loaded (family owned a baking and bread delivery company and his Grandfather I think was in a little more than just the bread business too).

Moral of the story, don’t tailgate. Drive the speed you feel safe driving, stay out of the fast lane unless you’re going fast or passing. And to maximize fuel economy use cruise control as much as possible, safely. And be careful out there because it’s 1000 times worse NOW than it was when my spoiled brat friend was ruining transmissions and potentially endangering people’s lives. Because what I’m seeing on the roads now is worse.

I usually slow down when they tailgate me. Especially at night.

Yeah that's the way it is every day here.
Go a 100 mph and some clown is tailgating you...

Back