How smooth do cam lobes need to be?

You are already into the block why put it back together wondering if it will last? If it were my project I'd replace so I wouldnt have to worry about doing it twice.

Guessing you dont own a mic or you'd have mic'd them. If you dont own or it isnt easy to borrow a mic, just spend the money on sticks and move on.

Thanks for sharing with us, hope your project turns out well sir!

UD
Thank you for the advice! I do not own a micrometer, so I can not check those cams. However, since they are clearly different cams rather than reground cams and they look like they are in very good condition, I have no reason to be any more concerned about it than any other random set of cams.

Thank you for the advice! I do not own a micrometer, so I can not check those cams. However, since they are clearly different cams rather than reground cams and they look like they are in very good condition, I have no reason to be any more concerned about it than any other random set of cams.

awesome, please keep sharing the build, its great to watch.

UD

Highly doubt the replacement cams are "worn out" based on the photos, looks like normal contact wear to me. Take a few close ups of some of the lobes and post 'me up.

I had rust issues with my jdm engine years ago also, though much more mild and widespread. There was trace rust on 4 or 5 lobes on the cams of my newly purchased JDM engine. Even more alarming, the cancer was all over the crankcase. I cleaned up the thing with simple WD40 and had no machining done. That was 3 years ago. The engine is running great still and has excellent compression numbers 180PSI all accross the board. 190PSI was rated for a new engine. Although the rust in my case was not as severe as your cams, your engine should run fine with those new-used cams you got. I would recommend putting assembly lube on all the lobes.

1598537302765.png

No water, and it was stored in California, which is not humid. I suspect it was surface rust from shipping over the salty ocean air from Japan. It has exterior surface rust also. The engine it replaced had no external rust. It was from california. I had to replace it though because the previous owner thought that California climate allows total neglect of coolant change intervals. The insides of my old engine looked like diarrhea clinging to every water passageway.

Let us know how the install goes for your JDM.

Back