2003 Honda Accord exhaust cam lobe wear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!

Vehicle: 2003 Honda Accord Lx 4cyl with 150k miles
Well maintained with proper oil changes (full syn)
Normal driving conditions

So today I was finally doing my valve lash adjustment and noticed the abnormal wear on the #4 exhaust cam lobe. The rest are in prestine condition, shiny and smooth. But this one looks abnormally worn and slightly pitted. Should I just leave it and drive till the car gives up or replace or sell? I love this car and it isn't worth much. I am hoping it can take me to 200k miles till I get the new Accord.

What are your opinions?

Thank you!

BB4E9BDD-B22B-461F-B200-645C2A8EE0F6.jpeg

03E0E651-6E67-4EFC-B6B8-B76F9E13D800.jpeg

That cam and that follower rocker arm are hosed.

You should run it with the cover off and see if it is getting oil or not.

And check for broken valve spring, sticking valve.

It can be lubrication, bad heat treating, or bouncing.

Cam has worn through the surface hardened layer, the cam will continue to get worse and worse. Do you have the skills to swap the cam and follower? It could be done fairly inexpensively using junkyard parts, or for a little more money with all new parts. Car should run a long time with a replacement camshaft and follower.

Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3
Cam has worn through the surface hardened layer, the cam will continue to get worse and worse. Do you have the skills to swap the cam and follower? It could be done fairly inexpensively using junkyard parts, or for a little more money with all new parts. Car should run a long time with a replacement camshaft and follower.

^ Yes.

Yes. I can replace the part. I have the service manual and can do these types of repairs but probably won't. Might get rid of the car since I don't want to put any more money into it. Thank you!

Had an 02 Civic Si with WAY worse than that at 60K miles. If I remember correctly, about $600 for a new OEM exhaust cam. My total bill was about $1000. Car went 140k after that with no cam wear. Needless to say, my new car isn't a Honda after hearing how amazing Honda engines were and having this happen.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
What oil had you been using in this car?

75% vegetable with the remaining a mix of peanut and coconut.

It wasn't the oils fault IMO.

It's only going to get worse and it's generating metal bits floating around the system at the microscopic level that the filter doesn't catch and adding to the wear / tear of other components. Not to mention the bigger bits being sucked into the oil pump before lodging in the filter media.

I would have it repaired as soon as possible and change the oil more frequently for the first couple changes there after. I've seen cars eat cams before and go on to live long lives thereafter when the repairs are done early.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back