How often to grease?

Our cars have to drive on washboard dirt roads and then paved streets that are just as bad. I'm thinking that all the pounding has to pound the grease out of the tie rods and ball joints.

I've been greasing them every 2500 miles. Too much or 2 little?

Twice a year on my 84 Oldsmobile. Twice per oil change on my 2005 Silverado (so about every 2400 miles or so and 4 months). It drives through a lot of mud, deep water and terrible roads working as a land surveying truck. Almost 250k miles. All ball joints have been replaced but tie rods original. The previous maintenance before 190k wasn't nearly as religious.

Our cars have to drive on washboard dirt roads and then paved streets that are just as bad. I'm thinking that all the pounding has to pound the grease out of the tie rods and ball joints.

I've been greasing them every 2500 miles. Too much or 2 little?

Probably too much. Use a grease with good washout resistance and grease at each oil change.

There's construction equipment that's supposed to be greased daily. You can't grease it too often but you can over-grease it which makes a mess or you can over pressurize the gun which damages seals and boots.

My RV has a solid front axle and 9 grease fittings. I grease it before any long trip and just wipe off the excess the following day.

Back