How often should refrigerator water filter be replaced?

6 months seems to be the standard. I cut one open a couple years ago and it was nothing but a chunk of charcoal....I guess it's supposed to absorb all the impurities?
Yes, 6 months, typical filter is good for about 200 gallons.
It is composed of VERY fine activated carbon. Which removes cysts and greatly reduces impurities, ex. chemicals such as pesticides, pharmaceuticals, chlorine and other bad stuff.
After 6 months its worthless and if you care about the above, change it.

Get yourself one of these water quality testers. If TDS gets near 50 ppm, time to replace the filter, IMO. In general though, when the TDS value starts taking a dive is when filter is no longer doing its job.

On my ZeroWater, I actually replace the filter at 6 ppm, but I could probably go longer.

I typically run my refrigerator filter for 1-1/2 to 2 years since my water is pretty clean to start with. But after seeing the water tester I decided to get one just to have a better way of judging when to change the water filter. My fridge is a Whirpool, and only the Whirlpool filters seem to work well with this brand, and they are pretty expensive - around $40-45 each.

I looked at that TDS tester that Quattro Pete linked above, and reviewers said it has a soldered in battery, so not easily replaceable. I decided to get this one instead with has an easily replaceable battery. Has a 5% off eCoupon on checkout too.

I looked at that TDS tester that Quattro Pete linked above, and reviewers said it has a soldered in battery, so not easily replaceable.
Good catch.

I'm actually using the one that came with my ZeroWater pitcher - don't even know if the battery is replaceable on it. I guess I should look into that.

I typically run my refrigerator filter for 1-1/2 to 2 years since my water is pretty clean to start with. But after seeing the water tester I decided to get one just to have a better way of judging when to change the water filter. My fridge is a Whirpool, and only the Whirlpool filters seem to work well with this brand, and they are pretty expensive - around $40-45 each.

I looked at that TDS tester that Quattro Pete linked above, and reviewers said it has a soldered in battery, so not easily replaceable. I decided to get this one instead with has an easily replaceable battery. Has a 5% off eCoupon on checkout too.

Its doesnt test for chemicals in your water, no meter can and for me the only purpose to use a water filter and change regularly. Its completely useless for this purpose and any refrigerator water filter or literally any water filter in 99,9 percent of home. The way this ad on Amazon is written is completely misleading and should be pulled from Amazon. You could poison yourself to death and this meter would not show it.

There is one semi truthful statement in here. If you have a reverse osmosis system which filters out minerals/salts and literally turns any water into pure H20 this meter can help confirm that. But we are not talking reverse osmosis systems here, no one has one, it is used for marine reef/fish tanks though, to start with pure water and then add the salts.

Last edited:
I don't use water filter for my fridge, I disconnect the line and i get water from the store for about 30c each gal. How much do you guys pay for that 200 gal filter?

I don't use water filter for my fridge, I disconnect the line and i get water from the store for about 30c each gal. How much do you guys pay for that 200 gal filter?
I pay $14.95 for the filter for my Maytag fridge. 7.5 cents per gal (or possibly less), I suppose. Even the Maytag approved and branded filter for about $45 beats the .30 per gal price, not to mention inconvenience of transport costs as I live 10 miles from the nearest retail source.

I pay $14.95 for the filter for my Maytag fridge. 7.5 cents per gal (or possibly less), I suppose. Even the Maytag approved and branded filter for about $45 beats the .30 per gal price, not to mention inconvenience of transport costs as I live 10 miles from the nearest retail source.
I just like to eliminate possible leak (that fridge leaks prior to me buying the house based on the floor damage), and I like RO filter better than just active carbon in eliminating any possible metal. I also like room temp water better than cold water, that's all.

Back