How often do you wash your car?

I enjoy taking care of things well. Having said that, it IS an awakening when one can relax a bit and not let their material possessions run one's life.

Years ago, I had such a good reputation of workplace equipment care that the vehicle below was directed to my unit to be used under my care.

Enjoy. (I'm not in this pic, LOL, but was there and asked at the last minute to go up and say a few words......nervous nelly!)

image002.jpg

Last edited:
Weekly at least thru the drive thru tunnel wash for my Raptor and wife’s Yukon (yearly membership is $250/car and includes basic interior not). Corvette gets hand washed a handful of times a year.

I used to wash weekly but as I get busier I wash less often. Maybe once every six weeks at this point. With the colder temps it's a pain having to empty the hose after each wash or worrying about the driveway freezing over.

I figure a nice deep clean and quality wax in the fall can get me thru winter with just a few rinses here n there. I have yet to find a wax that doesn't get washed off within 5 washes.

Mother nature is giving two of mine a good washing today.
I was parking a little close to the waterfront a few days ago. The gulls decorated my vehicle. Poseidon himself decided to wash my Aviator. Then the salty water dried on the black finish. Thanks for nuthin'!

Plus my oldest son LOVES going through the car wash, his laughter and giggling alone is worth the $20!
Buy yourself a foam cannon. Kids love it. Almost turns car washing into a family friendly activity.

Attachments

• B2735253-73A5-47EC-A52A-0298E82FD1AD.jpeg
    B2735253-73A5-47EC-A52A-0298E82FD1AD.jpeg
    177.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 59C9515F-6C9C-4143-9EDF-6D18A87AE94D.jpeg
    59C9515F-6C9C-4143-9EDF-6D18A87AE94D.jpeg
    149.6 KB · Views: 7
I'd say on average every two weeks for a regular contact wash. If it's pollen season, if I drove through mud, or there's road salt I'll wash more frequently (like every week). Sometimes if the body is clean I'll do the wheels only on that in between week. Sometimes if it's light pollen or dry dust that *hasn't previously been wet and re-dried on the finish* I'll hit it with the foam cannon and then do a forced air dry (a true no-contact wash). But the vast majority of the time it's the two bucket method with multiple dedicated mitts.

Once or twice a year. I was rather bummed this year, at the beginning of summer I took the time and effort to try one of those "all in one" waxes (or whatever), and by the end of summer I couldn't tell that I had done anything. It was just as dirty as the beginning of summer.

Probably two out of every three weeks. That's when they were driven. Two of them sit in the garage most of the time now, so washing is less frequent.

Once or twice a year. I was rather bummed this year, at the beginning of summer I took the time and effort to try one of those "all in one" waxes (or whatever), and by the end of summer I couldn't tell that I had done anything. It was just as dirty as the beginning of summer.
Waxes, sealants and coatings have very little impact on how "dirty" the vehicle gets. The main advantage is easier washing and arguably, some amount of "protection" for the finish.

Not much need for that down here. Mud was banished long ago, now we have sand. My house doesn't even have gutters on it and there's no mud splashing.
Anyway, I do wash it after I drive it on the beach, and the 4Matic does a fine job!

Waxes, sealants and coatings have very little impact on how "dirty" the vehicle gets. The main advantage is easier washing and arguably, some amount of "protection" for the finish.
It was more of a joke.

Two of my vehicles aren't worth washing, hosing off is fine (no dents but plenty of damage otherwise). A third isn't far from it. Third and fourth do look better after washing but you'd have to be blind to miss their imperfections. Not sure it's worth the effort.

Back