How much zinc in the oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 2KBMW
Is higher zinc in small gas lawn mower engines that have plastic cams and aluminum bore even important?

Good question! I don't have an informed answer but I suspect Pennzoil may come out with a Plastic-Cam-Lawnmower oil in the near future, to complement their Hybrid, Start-Stop, Max Power, and Extended oils.
smile.gif

It does depend on what youre talking about. A push mower with, as you say, a plastic cam and aluminum bore, no it doesn't really matter. Any good oil will make it last far longer than you'll want to use it.
Now, if you have a $10K John Deere garden tractor with a commercial engine, you then start to think about seriously protecting that investment. I mean if you'd told me 35 years ago, I'd pay that kind of money to mow grass, I'd have laughed. Truth is, I'm coming up on a decision to buy a new X7XX and it's even more, but to mow 5+ acres a week, you need decent equipment. And yes, I use decent oil, like that really expensive SuperTech 15w40 and it protects just fine, and has the zinc level of ~1200, which I feel comfortable with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back