How much zinc in the oil

Why is it so hard to find out how much zinc is in different kinds of oils ?
I'm trying to find out about bad boy mower Synthetic blend
10w 30.

It is easy to determine elemental components by sending in about 3.5 ounces to an analysis company like Blackstone; it's called a New Oil analysis or VOA.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kpack
10w 30.

"bad boy mower" oil?

https://www.badboylawnmowerparts.com/Bad-Boy-Mower-Quart-Synthetic-Blend-Engine-p/085-6015-00.htm

Most likely a House Label branded oil.

Hopefully it's not made by of one those PQIA identified blenders that put used oil back into containers.
31.gif

Last edited:
10w 30.

You want to find out how much phosphorous there is.

If its a rider, just run Mercruiser 4 stroke boat oil.

Big ZdDp if that's what floats you boat !

Oh, I made a funny
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by MolaKule
https://www.badboylawnmowerparts.com/Bad-Boy-Mower-Quart-Synthetic-Blend-Engine-p/085-6015-00.htm
Most likely a House Label branded oil.

It's $10 a quart!
lol.gif
shocked2.gif

I'll bet a crisp $20 bill that it is nothing more than re-packed Shell Rotella or Chevron Delo...

All the same, the point is moot. The engine in his Bad Boy zero-turn doesn't require tons of zinc.

And there is as-good/better oil to be found for a LOT cheaper than $40 a gallon.

This. It really isn't worth running their special oil. These companies rely on marketing and BS claims to sell their over priced products. I have a small engine business on the side and have changed the oil in thousands of engines. Not once have I used the Briggs and Stratton, Kohler, or other manufacturer's name brand "special small engine" oil. Most of them are just oil from other brands stuck in a bottle with the company's name and "formulated for small engines" slapped somewhere on the label. Any HDEO like Rotella 10w30 or SuperTech 15w40 is both superior and cheaper.

Thank you for your answers. Maybe I should have said any oil , why is it so hard to know what's inside ? I guess black stone is the answer.

Thank you for your answers. Maybe I should have said any oil , why is it so hard to know what's inside ? I guess black stone is the answer.

ExxonMobil is pretty clear for most of their motor oils in this chart, PQIA is another resource.

https://www.mobil.com/lubricants/-/...B478EACF4BAC5D7B9A3D33763B53E67669592EE5

Unless you're stuck on that weird brand for some reason. If that's the case why not ask them? If they are a legitimate company they should tell you.

Originally Posted by kschachn

ExxonMobil is pretty clear for most of their motor oils in this chart, PQIA is another resource.

https://www.mobil.com/lubricants/-/...B478EACF4BAC5D7B9A3D33763B53E67669592EE5

Unless you're stuck on that weird brand for some reason. If that's the case why not ask them? If they are a legitimate company they should tell you.

I ask but didn't get anywhere. I'm sure it's a another brand just has their name on it. It's no big deal just wondering why any brand doesn't say what's in their oil.

I ask but didn't get anywhere. I'm sure it's a another brand just has their name on it. It's no big deal just wondering why any brand doesn't say what's in their oil.

Uhh, did you download the PDF file I linked for Mobil 1 products?

Did you go to the PQIA site?

Did you ask the weird oil company?

Tons of answers for what you're asking about unless you're just wanting to promulgate a conspiracy theory.

I'm sure it's a another brand just has their name on it.

FWIW that "Bad Boy" oil doesn't even appear to be API licensed so as far as I can tell it has no certifications, licenses or approvals. I'd avoid it like a plague considering how easy it is to find an API licensed oil for your mower at considerably less cost. Whether it is "another brand" or not is irrelevant, what the bad boys at Bad Boys chose to put on the bottle for certifications and licenses is what matters - and it looks like they haven't got a single one, not even the most basic.

Current Passenger car oil will all be the same, all with low percent of ZDDP - give or take a little.

Now when you get in to Racing, ATV, Motorbike, Lawnmower and Boat engine

and Special rebuilder's Break-in Oil and Classic Hot rod.

That's where you may see a big difference. Maybe around 0.1 > 0.2 % Phosphorous

But if its API SM or SN in a 5w30 or 10w30 grade It will be low ZDDP below 0.08% Phosphorous

Now, you can just buy break-in additive from a Camshaft company ( like Crower ) to add ZDP to anything.

It get's depleted with Hard Use, so you can give it a Monthly dose

Or when ever its feeling "ill"

Like a Vitamin.

- Ken

I use Rotella T4 or T5, Valvoline Premium Blue 8600, or Motorcraft Super Duty Diesel in 10W30 for mower. Motorcraft is best value if nothing is on sale at 5 qts for 19 bucks at Walmart. All those oils are around 1000 ppm zinc / phosphorous and hold up to a 50 hr mowing season for me.

Yes I've used some of the Rotella oils in my tractor and some old generators I mess with it's good oil. I may start using it in my mower.

Back