How much trouble taking off valve cover ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1998 Toyota Camry V6 (1MZ) that's a known sludger, I've done 2 ARX cycles and would like to see what she looks like. Is this pretty easy ? I don't want to do it if it's too much trouble. FWIW, I'm pretty mechanically inclined.

I would also assume a new gasket is required ?

ugh... I was hoping youd have a car with 4 cyl, and Id tell you what a breeze it is compared to other cars.

But I cant tell you that... oh well.

V6 isnt that hard, its just not right there on top and in front... there is more to remove and get around.

Please use a new valve cover gasket... or RTV (but change your oil after, as itl put a lot of Si in your oil).

JMH

Get a dental mirror and a flashlight if you want to take a peek through the oil fill.
Unless you need to adjust the valves there is no real need to open it up.

Hey that's a pretty good idea Bryanccfshr, I just want to check out the valve train after all the maintainence I do. It has 150,000 miles so it should be interesting.

with 150K miles, it could probably use a new valve cover gasket.

Open her up and take some pictures, I love seeing engine photos with 150K + miles
cool.gif

ditto! Fun to learn all the same... worst that happens is that you cant get it back together and have it towed to the loal shop... just dont loose any parts!

(I know this isnt very reassuring, but pics are nice!)

JMH

I have a 1999 Toyota Camry factory service manual; should be very similar to a 1998. If you're serious about doing this, and need some info, PM me.

If you're willing to take a look at the front bank of cylinders only, it should be essentially as easy as doing the I-4.

The dental mirror thing won't work on this engine (I've owned two 1MZs myself, one from the sludge era). It has a baffle inside the valve/cam cover that completely blocks the view into the space below. I'm not sure about your 98, but later xMZ engines also have a coating of some sort on the baffle (reportedly, it's there to help absorb valve train noise). This thin, spongy layer is black right from the factory, and is often confused for sludge. This issue has come up several times over on Toyota Nation. If you want to see for yourself, stop by any Toyota dealer and open up the oil filler in a brand new 3MZ vehicle (only Siennas and V-6 Highlanders still have this engine, other models have moved to the xGR series).

But I digress -- to inspect this engine, you will have to get at least one cover off, which should not be too much of a PITA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back