how much to tip car detailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a '15 Subaru that l neglect in the interior and exterior department. I dropped it off at the local detailing place and will pick it up at 6:00PM EST today. The price quoted was $250 if l pay in cash. Is it customary to tip for this service? If yes, what would be a fair amount?
They are doing "the works". Car wash, cleaning carpet,windows, wax, compounding etc. The car was a mess when l took it in as l tend to only focus on mechanical maintenance and not cosmetic. Most of the other cars being serviced were luxury makes and my cheap Subaru looked a bit out of place. Thanks in advance.

Just how trashed was it? I mean, if it's just some dirt on the floor that's one thing--piled to the ceiling with McD's wrappers is another.

I've never been big on the tipping thing. $250 for 8 hours of work (?) plus a bit of soap, I'm not seeing a need for a tip.
21.gif
It's all elbow grease, right?

Don't tip the first time, sets up a bad precedent if you later find the service was just okay. If you are really pleased with the work, then booking your next service with them is enough of a bonus.

Originally Posted by supton
Just how trashed was it? I mean, if it's just some dirt on the floor that's one thing--piled to the ceiling with McD's wrappers is another.

I've never been big on the tipping thing. $250 for 8 hours of work (?) plus a bit of soap, I'm not seeing a need for a tip.
21.gif

Unless it's an exotic sports car.... no way I would spend that much to detail a car.

You've paid for the service!
What have they done extra that a tip would be called for?
Tipping ought to be for whenever someone has gone beyond what was paid or called for and not for doing their job!

Originally Posted by Mr Nice

21.gif

Unless it's an exotic sports car.... no way I would spend that much to detail a car.

OP said legit paint correction was done. $250 is in line.

I'd tip if I knew the money was going into the detailer's pocket and not the owner's.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Mr Nice

21.gif

OP said legit paint correction was done. $250 is in line.

I don't see that in the OP... ? Not sure what compounding is but I think it sounds like wash, wax and buff, nothing more.

It's a service; I tip 10% if it was done right. It can go up if the guy went out of his way to get at some tough stuff..or it can go down if it was shoddy work. So I guess it just depends...but fwiw, I've never spent that much on a detail but to each his own.

Last time I check they all got paid by the Stealerships I wouldn't give them a penny more than they made from their employer.

Last edited:

I don't see that in the OP... ? Not sure what compounding is but I think it sounds like wash, wax and buff, nothing more.

Compound is more aggressive than polish. Paint correction involves washing, clay barring, compounding, polishing, then buffing and waxing the vehicle. If the paint is real bad or heavily orange peeled, they'll start with a fairly aggressive compound and work finer and finer till it shines like a diamond. Very labor intensive, and thus expensive.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Skippy722

Compound is more aggressive than polish. Paint correction involves washing, clay barring, compounding, polishing, then buffing and waxing the vehicle. If the paint is real bad or heavily orange peeled, they'll start with a fairly aggressive compound and work finer and finer till it shines like a diamond. Very labor intensive, and thus expensive.

Ah, I stand corrected then. $31.25 per hour, minus supplies and whatnot. Half that goes as pay to whoever is doing the work? [Assuming it's all 8 hours of labor.]

Originally Posted by Skippy722

I've got mad respect for good paint and detail work, it's not just labour intensive.. it's a freaking art. You can have a great paint job but a primo detail makes it really pop! Just go to a car show and see some of the paint/polish jobs on those rides.

I detailed cars for >40 years and almost never received a tip except from some of the high end sports car guys and that was very seldom at best. But, I charged for my work accordingly so, I wasn't disappointed as my customers were repeat customers and referrals/word of mouth. I came recommended due to my pricing and workmanship/finished product.

Was there more than one person working on your Subaru?
Ask to see the person that detailed the car and if you are really WOW'd by the workmanship, throw the worker a $20...ONLY if you feel that it was worth it.

Are you ever going back to this detail shop for another visit? If not, keep your money!

Last edited:
I would never tip the dealer - only the worker and that's if he did a marvelous job and he's allowed tips. $10-$15 is sufficient.
If it's two workers, I'd expect to see their combined workers tips-box / jar. Then, if one's visible, dispense the same amount.

Last edited:
Tipping in the US has gotten out of hand.

Maybe limit tipping to those whose salary is low as they expect tipping. Restaurants are allowed to pay below minimum wage as long as the tips bring the waiter up to the minimum wage.

Here's what I learned about tipping from a very good customer of mine. He's a great guy, very smart, and a psychiatrist. I've known and worked for him for over 35 years on several occasions. Each time we'd work for him he handed my guys a tip before the job started, which is not the norm, if they tip it's after the job. He and I would talk often during the project, and one day I decided to ask why the tip before the job. He said the psychology behind it was "money well spent" assuring him the workers would go above and beyond for him. He was right, I could see it in my guys, going the extra yard, happy to be there. My advice is find out who is doing the detail work, and tip him before the job. After the fact, guarantees nothing...... I do exactly what my customer does now regarding tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back