How much to paint a Corolla hood?

If anyone really paid $1500 to have a Corolla hood painted black, I’d be surprised. I’m no expert and paint in the garage, but that’s an easy single panel. If you don’t insist on blending adjacent panels, you could do this yourself with rattle can. Just make sure to use spraymax 2k clear. Duplicolor makes pretty good rattle can touch up paint.

If anyone really paid $1500 to have a Corolla hood painted black, I’d be surprised. I’m no expert and paint in the garage, but that’s an easy single panel. If you don’t insist on blending adjacent panels, you could do this yourself with rattle can. Just make sure to use spraymax 2k clear. Duplicolor makes pretty good rattle can touch up paint.

Check out Paint Society YouTube channel....

I would buy a cheap Harbor Freight paint gun and do all the work yourself. Otherwise prep the hood and have Maico spray it.

I've done that, and it came out great. The only issue was that I used regular Rustoleum paint which faded pretty quickly. I should have used Rustoleum marine grade (which at least has some UV protection) with a hardener. If it were not a beater I would have used actual auto paint.

California rates are very high particularly compared to the national average for body and paint work. correspondingly body repair judgement time tends to be closer to real time.

Since most operations in the mechanical world have a published time mechanical rates are closer. I don't often encounter mechanical rates at 200.00 or more outside of California or exotics. Luxury brands in the north east are getting there though.

California rates are very high particularly compared to the national average for body and paint work. correspondingly body repair judgement time tends to be closer to real time.

Since most operations in the mechanical world have a published time mechanical rates are closer. I don't often encounter mechanical rates at 200.00 or more outside of California or exotics. Luxury brands in the north east are getting there though.
My body shop which has all the certifications, refuses to be a direct referral shop, and does a true complete factory mandated job is up there, but not >$100/hr.

Any shop that works direct referral is much less IME.

Screenshot_20221226-074804.jpg

A rattle can of flat black paint will make the Corolla look like a ricer, nothing better to boost the ego. What is the value of a 16 year old Corolla?

If you want to to look good, the paint has to be blended into the fenders and bumper, which costs more money

If you don't really care... good ol Maaco.

Sand to bare metal, prime, color coat, clear coat. The place I go to would charge me $200-250.
What third world country is that? Or- what third world country are the employees from? That's what you are saying here- that's painfully obvious. Either that or you are outright lying. Which is it?

Last edited:
What third world country is that? Or- what third world country are the employees from? That's what you are saying here- that's painfully obvious. Either that or you are outright lying. Which is it?
Any reason to revive a month old thread other than to call me a liar? I wrote back in post #12 what I paid for paint work at the shop I go to. Then of course you had to come back with, "That does not look good at all." to make me look bad. Well, apparently the buyer thought it looked good enough and paid the full $6,000 list price. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/904480190934839

Back