how much oil does your disposal place allow at one time?

i have been disposing my oil at the same oriely for years . i usually save my oil in a 5 gallon container . never had an issue with the the many managers that have been in and out of that oriely.

went today to dispose of another 5 gallons of oil . the guy inside told me they only allow 5 quarts which was something new to me. he told me i could dump it this time, but next time it 5 quarts .

So how much oil does your disposal place allow?

My local recycling center doesn't seem to care. I dumped in 15 qts last week and the worker guy helped me.

Several friends of mine drive Deuce and a halfs (ex-military 2 1/2 ton trucks) and they're glad to get it. I save all of my old oil and ATF for them and they run it through filters and then use the stuff in their trucks. The deuces will run on any liquid that will burn as long as it's thin enough to actually flow. I pulled out several cans of gasoline today that I had been keeping for use in my generator but it's getting old so I'm donating that to one of them too.

Are those places taking the filters too? I had tried to take oil and filters to my local Firestone, and while they would take the oil, they wanted to charge me to take the filter. I go a different place now and they take both.

County recycling...as much as you want. Includes oil filters and basically anything you can recycle/need disposed of. Free. Drive up, convenient, much better than autoparts store.

Last edited:
i have been disposing my oil at the same oriely for years . i usually save my oil in a 5 gallon container . never had an issue with the the many managers that have been in and out of that oriely.

went today to dispose of another 5 gallons of oil . the guy inside told me they only allow 5 quarts which was something new to me. he told me i could dump it this time, but next time it 5 quarts .

So how much oil does your disposal place allow?
Do what I did, I found a place that burned used oil for heat during the winter. Now I just give it to 1 of my Dad's friends who gives it to his son who has an oil burner that he heats his garage during the winter. I did the county dump thing once but never again.

We have curbside recycling. They leave out thicker milk gallon containers or I just put the 5 qrt containers. Usually 1 or 2.
Easy peasy.

We have curbside recycling. They leave out thicker milk gallon containers or I just put the 5 qrt containers. Usually 1 or 2.
Easy peasy.
I've never seen a sign but I'll look next time. How would they even know? Is there someone watching?

My FLAPS will take 5 gallons, once a month. The county transfer station has no stated limit on oil recycling but limits coolant to 10 gallons per trip. I have to make an extra trip to the county seat to dispose of brake fluid and other chemicals every once in a blue moon.

County recycle centers here take 3 gallons per visit. No one watches you though, so one can fudge it.
Gave up on stores because some lazy workers say they don't take it. "Our machine is broken" is my favorite excuse from a local Advance. Another is "because of COVID". Uh used oil causes one to get COVID? Walmart only takes 5 quarts and makes you find an employee in the garage (not easy), get them to unlock the fence around the podium where they make you show ID and fill out name and address. WM deliberately discourages you from bringing it there. Not worth dragging it from store to store when I can easily go to co. facility - pour and done.

No limit at our regional waste center. All the motor oil, tranny fluid and brake fluid go in the same tank. The coolant goes into a separate tank.
Same. Antifreeze and brake fluid are separate.

When you go to Advance Auto they'll take a max of 5 gallons, of the two stores near me, one always makes you sign the book with your name address and how much you dropped, and the other most of the time doesn't care they'll also ask if you want your containers back and the other store makes you take your containers

Back