How much natural gas do you use each month ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have gas appliances in your home how much Therms do you use per day ?

We have the gas appliances: 44 years old furnace, 12-14 years old 40 gallons water heater, 10-12 years old 6-buners cook top and 17 years old cloth dryer.

In the summer depend on how much cooking my wife does, we use as little as 0.47 Therms a day and as much as 0.62 Therms. Average about 16-18 Therms a month, with the cost of about $1/therms our monthly cost of gas is about $17-20 a month, tax and service fees included.

In winter we use between 25 to 45 Therms a month, depends on hold cold(should I say cool ?) the weather is from Dec till Feb. Our single story house size is 2800 sq-ft, with high ceiling couples with 44 years old un-efficient furnace did some damage to our pocket. But I think changing to newer more efficient furnace at a cost upward $8,000-10,000 to save less than $150 a year doesn't make sense. It will take more than 50 years to recoup the money.

I think gas appliances are very efficient, plus the price of natural gas is very low the last few years.

By the way, our electricity cost per month is fairly low too at around $35-40 a month. Up to $45-50 a month during winter months. We don't have air conditioning so we use less electricity in summer.

Even if you did have AC itd still be cheaper. Heating is alot more $$ than AC..sounds like a great deal for you though!

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
That's unbelievably low. My gas runs 500 bucks in Jan. Elect. about the same.

The gas falls off to 50 mo in July.

Your gas and electricity cost about $1,000 a month in January ? That is about my yearly cost of gas + electricity + water + sewer.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
That's unbelievably low. My gas runs 500 bucks in Jan. Elect. about the same.

The gas falls off to 50 mo in July.

Your gas and electricity cost about $1,000 a month in January ? That is about my yearly cost of gas + electricity + water + sewer.

It's butt freezing cold here, the wind is always blowing, and the house is old and drafty. I could probably save a lot by putting in new windows and sealing things up.

We have five gas appliances - an 88,000 BTU furnace, 50 gallon water heater, fireplace, range and dryer. 2700 square foot two story, mid 90's construction.

Last months gas bill - mid february to mid march was $177. We used 176 therms. 6.1 therms per day. Average temp was 15 degrees for the period. This bill was actually higher than the last two months, though I used more gas the last two bills (High was 215 therms for a month). The gas price went up some. We try to keep our heating bills down by turning temps down. Currently set to 68 when we are home, setback to 58 during the day when we are not home, and dropping back to 64 at night. Goose down comforters and flannel sheets help. We used to be set at 65 when around, 58 sleeping or away, but having young kids changed that...

Summer bills when we don't use the gas fireplace or furnace, is usually under $30. Typically around 25 therms of usage.

The gas company monthly sends out a note comparing your gas usage to the 100 homes right around you of similar construction. We consistently come in as average in the summer (guessing since all our appliances are gas, we are higher than those on electric), but in the top 5% most energy efficient in the winter.

I forgot that we have 2 gas fireplaces, since we never use it that why it didn't register in my mind.

Since we have very mild weather all year, high in the 70's to 80's and low in the 50's to 60's, therefore we use much less energies than snow belt states.

In the winter we set 60 in the evening from 5 PM till 11 PM and 55 all other times, the furnace is rarely run with the temperatures, about 20-30 hours total for the 3 winter months from Dec to Feb.

The furnace filters are barely dirty after 3 years of use. I bought 6 filters since we moved in 17 years ago, we use the last one this year.

My gas bill is about $10.00 per month right now. We reside in a warm area in a building facing the sun. We are running the A/C now and then, even though winter has two days more to go.

Try to get some more quotes on a furnace, new they range anywhere from $500-$1500 depending on type and BTU rating. HVAC guys should only be 1-2k. Only way you'd get up to 8k would be if they included central air and added all the fancy stuff like humidifier, air cleaner, etc. Here's one site to check, alpinehomeair.com, I don't think they have the lowest price, but they've got a good selection and info.

its true that a new efficient unit will not save you enough to re coup the savings BUT what I would be worrying about is that you are past the life cycle of your hvac unit and its gonna fail you guys at the worst possible time, no doubt. That in itself is worth the cost of replacing it IMHO. BTW we have a $20k hybrid heat pump system (Carrier Infinity)in our 2100 sq ft split level and our summer gas/elect/taxes/etc is about $95-110 a month in the summer and about double in the winter.

This winter has been colder than usual. Last month we consumed close to 300 therms. We use gas for heating the house, water heater, and stove. And of course gas prices have shot up last month, so our bill was $200.

Here, gas heating and cooking, and hot water.
Electric oven lights washer and drier.

Summer, 0.35 therms/day, $1.30, $0.60/day connection, 10% tax.
Winter, 1.9 therms/day, $6.0, $0.60/day connection, 10 %tax

'Lectrickery 10kWh/day, $2.47, $0.60/day connection, 10% tax

$225/month on average...

Going to have to fulfill my promise to the kids and install a fireplace, and have them run along the traintracks gathering spilled coal.

Originally Posted By: topbliss
its true that a new efficient unit will not save you enough to re coup the savings BUT what I would be worrying about is that you are past the life cycle of your hvac unit and its gonna fail you guys at the worst possible time, no doubt. That in itself is worth the cost of replacing it IMHO. BTW we have a $20k hybrid heat pump system (Carrier Infinity)in our 2100 sq ft split level and our summer gas/elect/taxes/etc is about $95-110 a month in the summer and about double in the winter.

Even if it fails at the coldest day(or night) here in So Cal, the indoor temp may drop to around 50-55 (outside temp may drop to high 30's or low 40's), we have portable heaters that we bought on clearance some years ago for less than $5 each.

My thinking is that the cost of heating the house is around $150 a year, the saving with the most efficient furnace is probably about 60-70% or about $100 a year. It will take many many years to recoup the investment. If the furnace had any sign of pending failure then I would seriously thinking about replace it.

I did change the 30 years old aluminum windows and patio doors to double pane vinyl about 12-13 years ago. It did reduce the heat in summer and cold in winter, also it reduces the noise too.

Don't know how relevant it is since I'm not even on the same continent, but during a harsh winter month we use about 250 cubic meters and it costs us about $150.

House heating is gas powered and so does hot water. We also have a gas stove and a gas oven. Our house is a 3 bedroom flat.

Depending on what I'm trying to heat and the time of year its $60-$300+ a month.

Gas isn't terrible, I can keep a vacant spec house warm for $50-$100 a month depending on how brutal the winter is, modern stuff is cheap to heat.

The worst is when I'm stuck with an old oil pig, like my junk two family I'm tearing down next week. That pig with single pane windows and probably no insulation cost me $1k in the month of Jan to heat! Last year I got stuck with a single story 1200sf flip and it cost me about $250 a month worth of oil to heat. Compared to the brand new gas fired house next door which was running about $70 and the thermostat on the new house was set a few degrees warmer...

Modern stuff is pretty cheap to heat/cool its older used houses that kill you.

For example my uncle has a 6ksf beach house with lots of windows and his gas bill is only a couple hundred maybe at worst, his electric is zero because he has a solar system on the roof. But he has spray foam 2x6 walls to R25, about R50 in the roof, and top of line Anderson windows; on demand hot water heaters, high efficiency furnace, LED lights, energy star appliances, etc.

Contrast that to a couple I know that has an awesome turn of the century Victorian that's about the same size but fired on oil...I think there oil bill is $2k a month in the winter...

Last edited:
2100 sq foot colonial built in 2005. Gas furnace (don't know size... not 90+% efficient), 50 gal gas water heater, gas stove and range, gas dryer, and one gas fireplace. This is in Michigan.

214 therms this past month. Bill was $183. Worst this winter was 254 therms for $213.

Don't see a heating oil thread:

Just paid heating oil bill for 2 houses in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, about a month's worth $1322.00 for ~295 gallons. One house gets #1 fuel oil, one #2 fuel oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back