How do you keep the plants alive for 1-2 months when you are away?

Long story short our inlaws are traveling to Taiwan for 2 months this summer, and we "may" be able to help water their plants for 1 of the 2 month, so there will be one continuous month that there will be no watering, no electricity, no gas, no garbage fee.

I saw people claims that using a wick and a 5 gallon water bucket would be a good way to keep them alive, would that work in 90F weather?

Another question: how do you keep your fridge from being stinky when you are out for 2 months with no electricity? I would help remove all the food and keep the door open to air out the inside for sure, anything else?

They used to sell glass tubes that you fill with water and stick into the soil, not sure on how long they last though.

And an open box of baking soda in the fridge/freezer works.

If the plants are portable take them to somebody that will look after them. Otherwise put them outside and hope for frequent liquid sunshine. Ditto if they are planted outside.

Are the plants inside or outside? For outdoor plants, you could set up a battery-operated timer and a drip irrigation kit. I have used that kind of system to keep garden plants alive for a week or two away from home. If something goes wrong with nobody around to see it, though, they could end up with an expensive water bill.

If the plants are portable take them to somebody that will look after them. Otherwise put them outside and hope for frequent liquid sunshine. Ditto if they are planted outside.
Mostly outdoor plant already planted in the ground, no rain in the summer, assume it can be very dry outdoor (grass turn brown).

Are the plants inside or outside? For outdoor plants, you could set up a battery-operated timer and a drip irrigation kit. I have used that kind of system to keep garden plants alive for a week or two away from home. If something goes wrong with nobody around to see it, though, they could end up with an expensive water bill.

This is a good idea. They should shut off the water shutoffs under sinks and toilets etc but leave the outdoor bibb on

Back