how much MMO do i need to add ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The engine is probably worn, or the stem seals are shot and the thicker oil is compensating. In cases like this thicker oil, or treatments like STP or Lucas Oil Stabilizer can help slow consumption down. Problem is during the winter cold starts might be harder.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
The engine is probably worn, or the stem seals are shot and the thicker oil is compensating. In cases like this thicker oil, or treatments like STP or Lucas Oil Stabilizer can help slow consumption down. Problem is during the winter cold starts might be harder.

If the valve seals are worn then they may need to be replaced, I think if you are using MMO in the oil its a good idea to use it in the gas to lube and clean up the fuel system. I just think if you have the fuel side lubed then there is less chance of having your engine blowing puffs of smoke. JMO

so wat is the maintaint dose for 6 quart oil engine ? im running full quart , and last couple day, car run good. not loose much oil yet with 10w30 weight, next oil change I properly go with 5w30 max life or Pennzoil high mile. can some body tell me, what maitaint dose for 6 quart engine and 5 quart engine ? thanks

There is no published maint dose for MMO. What a lot of people do to keep an engine clean is add 16 oz 1000 miles before they drop their oil. I would consider that a maint dose. Others run a pint for a full OCI. Some run a qt for the winter months for the full OCI, then go to a pint 1000 miles before they change their oil. I've done that for many years.

Originally Posted By: killagt
so wat is the maintaint dose for 6 quart oil engine ? im running full quart , and last couple day, car run good. not loose much oil yet with 10w30 weight, next oil change I properly go with 5w30 max life or Pennzoil high mile. can some body tell me, what maitaint dose for 6 quart engine and 5 quart engine ? thanks

In a really filthy engine, I'll put 20% MMO in there with something like PYB conventional and leave it for 750-1000 miles before dumping it. The whole "maintenance dose" thing is designed to create steady sales of an expensive mail order product. That seems a bit silly to me if you're using a quality synthetic oil and reasonable oil change intervals (which shouldn't contribute any additional sludge to your motor). So I just focus on getting it clean and then put unadulterated synthetic in.

Good luck!

WIfe's 528e was dragging turning over at 15F full of 20w 50, its summer wieight oil. It was near the CI, so it was a tad low. I topped it off with a pint of MMO and will change bime by.

some how I dont feel good replace whole quart of MMO in crankcase, I think I feel good using a pint every oil change. and leave it for full OCI , which is 6 month of 3k miles .what you guy think ?

Last edited:
some how I dont feel good replace whole quart of MMO in crankcase, I think I feel good using a pint every oil change. and leave it for full OCI , which is 6 month of 3k miles .what you guy think ?

I think 16 ounces of MMO each oil change will be fine, no sense putting in a quart of MMO if it is going to make you nervous.

Originally Posted By: c3po

I think 16 ounces of MMO each oil change will be fine, no sense putting in a quart of MMO if it is going to make you nervous.

+1..........Use a pint for a few OCI's if you like, then maybe next winter try a qt. Or just stick to a pint.

Why don't we just read the instructions and follow them? Their R&D guys spend years and lots of cash to determine that ratio. Lets stop fearing our shadows.

Originally Posted By: cjcride
Why don't we just read the instructions and follow them? Their R&D guys spend years and lots of cash to determine that ratio. Lets stop fearing our shadows.

DITTO...

How much do I put in with a 4.25qt engine?
I put a whole 1qt into my 1988 CRX DX and Quaker 10w30.
Do I do the same for the 4.25qt Jetta?

Thanks.

20% of the total sump capacity is good. That would be a little less than a qt. Take the extra and add it to the gas, at a 4oz/10 gallon of gas mix rate.

So with my little CRX, adding a full quart might have been too much? Also I used 10w30, was that sound?

Originally Posted By: Razster
So with my little CRX, adding a full quart might have been too much? Also I used 10w30, was that sound?

4 Quarts is 128 ounces, and 32 ounces of MMO is at the 25% threshold, so the MMO should take that 10W-30 and make it a 5W-30, you should be fine.

I would keep an eye on the oil level since it may go down, the reason is that the MMO may soak into any junk inside of your engine. Good Luck

Originally Posted By: Razster

Lets back up a bit. Is this the first time use of MMO in the oil? If so I'd use a pint for the last 1000 miles of the OCI, then I'd use 20% and run it for a full OCI. This is what has worked well for me and many friends I recommended it to over the years. 25% will work but it is the maximum amount. In answer to your question no a qt wouldn't have done any harm at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back