How much meat do you eat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if I'd call the stuff in stores seafood. If it's not wild it's just expensive chicken raised in water or sewage systems.

Something I found interesting was how little meat is consumed in other countries. Indians eat 4 lbs of meat/chicken per year per capita. In most of Africa, they consume 10-20 lbs. In Asia, 20-50 lbs.

Then there's Australia and NZ, who eat a lot of meat but much of it is goat.
laugh.gif

Actually, dairy products might contribute more than their share to overall health problems.

In the UK during WWII when meat and diary products virtually disappeared from the civilian diet the overall health of civilians improved.

Red meat will increase your risk of cancer, heart disease, and other auto-immune diseases. It comes down to how many chemicals, hormones, and other contaminants are in your meat, how much of it you eat, what you eat with it, how many other anti-oxidants you eat daily to cart away the affects of the hormone injected beef. Read The Omnivore's Dilemma on a fairly even evaluation of the meat industry. Meat in moderation makes sense. The rest of the world tends not to be so crazy about meat ingestion as the USA. If you're eating grass fed and free-roaming animals then your risk is a lot less. Most people won't pay for the added expense of buying such meats. They aren't cheap.

Triglycerides and LDL are part of it. Other things to look at to assess your risk would the ratio of total chol. and trigclycerides to HDL. Those ratios are probably more important than LDL, HDL, or trigs by themselves. Then there's also HS-CRP, homocysteine, ADMA, LDL pattern size A/B, PLAC, Lp(A), fibrinogen, and other markers to address your total inflammation and coronary risk. If you can find out your coronary calcification levels that's really the bottom line. This just brushes the surface though. Total cholesterol and even LDL have been way overblown over the past 40 years. The other factors above are probably more important.

Back in 2009 I dropped from eating meat 2X per day, 5 days per week to at most once per day. That was a 45 year habit. Red meat went to at most once a week, sometimes only 1-2X per month. Salmon and other fish replaced meals of beef, and chicken. I never felt better and with unlimited energy. It didn't hurt that I melted off the 50 lbs I gained since 9th grade. I agree about avoiding dairy (it's for infants and young kids) as most of what we get out there is laced with hormones, etc. Sugar and processed "dead" flours are other things to avoid. Quality grains, veggies, fruits, spices, nuts, seeds, eggs, etc. should be the bulk of your diet. Meat in moderation. Use it to accessorize, not as the primary source of calories and fats.

My last dose of red meat was Christmas Eve and to be honest, I don't miss it one bit.

Poultry and fish I eat a lot of. 3 times a day at least.

Whenever I eat steak now, it lays too heavy for my liking in my stomach. I'd much rather grill up some chicken. In the winter, I do a lot of crockpot cooking.

I just got through eating two inch thick ribeyes,yum! I was good though and had a veggie,a HUGE baked potato covered with butter and cheese
laugh.gif

I don't eat sea food or fresh water fish as it is contaminated with mercury and other toxins. I like grass fed locally produced beef from producers that I see their cattle graze. Poultry, I eat it because my wife cooks it. I prefer beef or game meat. I can't say how much I eat though.

I consume a decent amount of chicken, that's primarily it. I've been eating more Whoppers with bacon and cheese. My goal is to equalize this consumption with exercise and activity, not strict weightlifting working out, but, jog, pilates, Cossack lunges with weights, work the core and I can feel when I am waking up muscles down there doing the lunges with a 15lb dumbbell outstretched and rotating left to right slowly etc etc etc, YouTube workout videos, etc. I have been semi-successful, and a long 50+ hour work week (I know.. some people work way more than that) can throw off my best laid plans to maintain a jog or exercise cycle. The two days of back to back doubles usually gets me off my game. And then I eat more chicken.. not the baked kind, either..

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
We eat seafood at least a couple times each week. Poultry probably comes next, with pork third. Red meat is pretty low. Quite a few of our meals don't include meat. This time of the year we frequently do soup, often with little or no meat.

Originally Posted By: Turk
Literally every day.

A day without meat, is, well, a day without ice cream.

.....and don't get on me about Triglycerides. It's nice & low at 47.
thumbsup2.gif

I'm not sure that triglycerides would be an issue with meat, but don't you also have some other health issues you've complained about as well?

I had that fluke tumor that the Mayo Clinic thinks was linked to all the Chemicals I handled & breathed in at a former high-tech job, but everything else is great.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
A ton. I can eat a 2 lb steak or a seafood platter for 2. I don't understand how people can survive on veggies.

01.gif

I actually love veggies as a side, in salad, etc... but no way I could live on them solely and without meat. Just no way.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Grains are the real weight/health problem - Monsanto fatting up the general populace for the slaughter.
+1

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
A ton. I can eat a 2 lb steak or a seafood platter for 2. I don't understand how people can survive on veggies.

01.gif

I actually love veggies as a side, in salad, etc... but no way I could live on them solely and without meat. Just no way.

Agreed. I'd be dead in a week if I relied on these low calorie diets. When I used to do long distance running, I'd take in 10,000 calories in protein shakes alone per day, plus four meals. That would be a pretty neat trick on salad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back