how much is your water bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
About $5/month for a bag of salt for the softener, we have a well and septic tank. Hook up was a bit expensive though...
This gets me thinking though on when and how much it will cost to get the septic tank pumped. Broken down to a monthly cost it would be pretty low I suspect, $3/month?

Originally Posted By: Solo2driver

I typically only use 1K gallons (quoted)for my 1800sqft home with wife & 2 kids & 2 pets, with 10,000sqft property...this has been true for the past 14 months here anyway, since we moved in. We "waste not" :)

1k gallons per month for a family of 4? OK, either your family is never at home, or the entire family showers together, or you guys are only showering twice a week
crazy2.gif
, because there's just no way a typical family of 4 can get by on 33 gal per day. 33 gal per day per person is very low as it is (the average is 60). What am i missing?

Here in Calif, where it's very dry in summer and water is cheap, people are quite wasteful. There are homes that use 20k per month (80% is for irrigation). And what's more shocking is that, residential water use is only 10% of the state's total. Most is from farming.

We don't water the lawns because it usually rains a lot here (well, not this summer). I only run the dishwasher once every few days. I have low-flow showerheads, and we keep the time VERY short. We have displacement jars in the toilet tanks. My little girl takes a bath with only a few inches of water in there and is just as clean & happy. We drink gallon bottles of water from the store because our pipes are old and I don't trust what comes out of there (check your aerator screens sometime...yuck!). We only wash very full loads of laundry, and only a few times a week. I also wash the car maybe once every few weeks (if that) because I am busy or it's raining.

On the other side, we have 30 gallons of water stored in our garage for the next big hurricane. We did not have water here at the house after Hurricane Ike for 4 days, and when we moved into the house it took 5 days for the water company/city to turn it on and get a baseline meter reading (I was SO tempted to just turn it on, but alas I am law-abiding). I know the value of NOT having water, so when we DO have it, it is not wasted.

Likewise, my gas bill is usually only $10-$12 per month, and we have a gas oven/range and our BBQ is piped into our gas main, and our water heater is gas. A little trick-- I NEVER pre-heat the oven. Just turn it on, if it's lit, food goes in...maybe add 1-2 extra minutes but my wife considers me a great cook so it's doing it's job. Most of the time, the "heat light" turns on when I've reached my preset just about when the food is done and cooked thoroughly.

Growing up extremely poor and now having a humble income really makes me be very concious of what I do and use. Utility bills that are based on usage are easily controllable (as opposed to a flat rate charge I can't do anything about), so I do my best to reduce cost. $1 less to the City or utilities company is $1 more for savings, family vacation, a night out, tithing, or debt reduction...

PS-- to spice up a marriage, yes, you can "conserve" and shower together. :) Also, if you are having an argument/fighting, do it in the bathtub....VERY disarming.

Funny, I think taking showers together is what's killing the water bill. LOL. Not to mention we have a gas water heater and it gets a workout from it too. Oh, well. Small price to pay I suppose.

I was practically without a home for some time after the hurricane and only just married. Had to stay with in-laws for a couple weeks till things got straight... I was without hot water for over a month. When I'm at home, I want my wife and I to be comfortable and I'll do without other things to make sure that happens.

I have my own well, so I guess what ever electricity it takes to pump it out of the ground. I'm also on septic.

FWIW, it cost about about $2K to have it drilled and the cost of the water pump and bladder tank back in 2004. Looking at some of your water bills, I've paid for that cost a few times over.

Town of Speedway Water Works:

Water: $12.07
Sewer: $12.52
Recycle Fee: $2.20
Hydrant Charge: $1.23
Trash Fee: $7.00
Sales Tax: $.84
Total: $35.86

Originally Posted By: Pat in Speedway
Town of Speedway Water Works:

Water: $12.07
Sewer: $12.52
Recycle Fee: $2.20
Hydrant Charge: $1.23
Trash Fee: $7.00
Sales Tax: $.84
Total: $35.86

Wow they like to break it down... looks like a landline phone bill or Texas' fee for reflective license plates!

I think its 40-50/mo in the winter. 80-130 in the summer due to lawn watering.

We have steeply tiered rates in the summer time. I recently figured out that if I run an extra 20,000 gallons down the drain in the winter I'll save a net of $100. Since it raises my winter usage, more of the summer usage will be at the lower rates.

I pay an average of $70/month. Less in winter, more in summer due to an inground pool and lawn sprinklers getting more use with the Texas heat. My last bill was $102. Our water bill here also includes the trash pickup too. WHen I lived in MD my bill was about $15 a quarter. But then again, I had no pool or lawn sprinklers, less heat, 1 less bathroom and about 1000sq ft less house than now.

Last edited:
Our rates went up 47% this year, so I pay $45 every 2 months now. Sewer is an extra ~$12 every 2 months.

And the company has asked for another 30%+. Ridiculous.

Usually $20-25 a month. No sewer bills as we are on septic. Have owned three houses. Two in TX and one in WV never had a bill more that $40 a month. BTW mother in law's bill in San Antonio TX always over $300 a month. And that's just for two older people. She has plenty of money and thinks it's funny. Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back