Pricing scenarios for electricity

I’m curious on what scenarios are out the for the pricing of your electricity. Here we have two tiers. Billing is every two months. You get a lower price on the first 1300 kWhrs, then the price goes up by about 40% for the rest. Then, you start over for the next bill, the cheaper rate for the first 1300 kWhrs then the higher price. There is no time of day feature here. What about yours?

Last edited:
( @Snagglefoot I updated this with complete info)
We pay 10 cents (USD) kWr 24 Hours a day
We have the option to go demand metering which possibly would work out good if we had an EV and night time ultra rate is 4 cents or so. But not such a great deal really, as the service charge is higher too. Im happy at 10 cents *LOL*
But this is the rate if you choose Demand =
Screenshot 2023-10-08 at 11.14.05 AM.png

Below is our actual bill at 10 cents 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Our utility uses an algorithm and reports our usage as below (just noticed this today!)
Energy is so cheap here in the land of the free NC/SC Co-Op's We NEVER ever open our windows, AC runs 24/7

Screenshot 2023-10-08 at 10.56.03 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-10-08 at 10.56.15 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-10-08 at 11.18.21 AM.jpg

Last edited:
It's so complicated.
Supply is broken into "Supply" and "Transmission". These are $.05341 and $.01458
Then "Delivery" is broken into "Customer Charge", "Standard Metering Charge", "Distribution Facilities Charge", and "Electricity Distribution Charge".
Then the nine entries under "Taxes and Fees" are calculated.

alarmguy paid $100 for 813kwh
I am at $138 for 871kwh. About $.03 higher per kwh

It's so complicated.
Supply is broken into "Supply" and "Transmission". These are $.05341 and $.01458
Then "Delivery" is broken into "Customer Charge", "Standard Metering Charge", "Distribution Facilities Charge", and "Electricity Distribution Charge".
Then the nine entries under "Taxes and Fees" are calculated.

alarmguy paid $100 for 813kwh
I am at $138 for 871kwh. About $.03 higher per kwh
Refreshing to read your post.
Agree and when comparing costs it's great when we know the actual payment amount as that is the true cost..

This also goes for anything else, like cell phone plans, Internet plans, even when comparing electric service options, as if one signs up for my co-op on demand billing, the service cost is higher so your not saving as much money as you think when you look at the kWh rate, anything that involves a payment, the only way to know the cost is what the actual payment is..

I wish everyone posted in this way

Evergy (used to have a manly name) here in KC area went to 4 different rate tiers. Mostly to promote EV home charging at night. With my limited usage all the estimated results were within $10 yearly. They also have a plan for people who can reduce consumption in the 4-8 PM. I just can't do that plan as I have lots of sw to nw exposure to the sun at that time. Great in the winter thou.

First energy in NE ohio. its broken down as complicated as possible with delivery transmission generation fees cost recovery etc.

I pay 5.xx cents per kwh(generation) but with all the fees added the "all in" or "apples to apples comparison" cost is aprox 13-16cents per kwh.
at least for usage between 500-1000kwh per month.

last month was 587KWH for $79

Last edited:
Screenshot_20231008-100256~2.jpg

No TOU rates here - as is typical with hydroelectric.

These prices are in C$.

With the basic monthly charge factored in, it works out to about C$0.10/kWh.

We have multiple options but none seem to be better than the flat rate I’m paying for my usage.

Our summer energy rate is $0.13/kWh and winter is $0.0867/kWh.

I paid $443.21 last month for 2,882 kWh which works out to 15.3 cents per kWh after fees and adjustments.

Here’s my rate.

IMG_4579.jpeg

In my area we have in general tiered rate you have (300kwh first tier, then 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th), I've only been in 1st and 2nd so I know they were about 30c/kwh for 1st then maybe 36c/kwh for 2nd.

After that we have time of use that has 2 or 3 zones. 2 zones would have peak at 4-9pm and 3 zones would have peak at 5-8, near peak 3-5pm and 8-10pm. Something like peak for 42c/kwh and then off peak is 26c/kwh, etc.

Then if you have EV you have similar to TOU plan but an additional 12-7am rate for charging your EV. Your non EV time would be slightly more expensive but your 12-7am would be way cheaper in exchange, say 2-3c/kwh more than TOU on peak and off-peak then 12-7am would be like 12c/kwh.

All in I'm at 11.7 cents/kWh. I used 1300 kWh last month...seems high compared to most others that have posted so far? Family of 3 but my son is only 3...electric hot water heater, dryer, and range plus I run 2 dehumidifiers almost constantly in the summer so I guess combined with the A/C that explains it. I assume most others with lower usage have gas appliances?

…. I assume most others with lower usage have gas appliances?
Well a lot of users locations are not known nor size and age of the home. Climate does play a big part in this huge country of ours.
We are mostly electric except for hot water and stove top. Oven is electric.
Our AC/Heat pump runs 24/7 meaning we don’t open windows
So only way to compare is ones Actual Payment for Electricity divided by kWh for there true cost of electricity to the home.

Meaning a low kWh rate means nothing without service charges and other fee’s added in

All in I'm at 11.7 cents/kWh. I used 1300 kWh last month...seems high compared to most others that have posted so far? Family of 3 but my son is only 3...electric hot water heater, dryer, and range plus I run 2 dehumidifiers almost constantly in the summer so I guess combined with the A/C that explains it. I assume most others with lower usage have gas appliances?
I’m not too far off as well as not far away ( in a relative sense). I don’t have humidity issues, and use a propane hot water heater heater that’s heated by my propane boiler. The rest is the same.

With charges like these I can see some rural areas are encouraged to go solar and battery and becomes disconnected and still be cheaper, as long as winter heating is not a need this can be done.

We have a fixed flat rate with riders/tariffs/taxes on top, so my ~$0.12/kWh becomes on average $0.18/kWh. They don’t list any of them on the bill, it all gets lumped as the “use charge”, which is on top of the customer charge (another fixed monthly rate), then sales tax on top of all it.
I used 1,410kWh in August for a family of 6, all gas appliances. September was 1,099kwh, all gas appliances.

Back