How many things can go wrong with one new generator? Westinghouse igen2500

Sad experience, but sometimes you just get what you pay for. Don't think you'd have problems with a Honda or a Generac.
Interestingly enough, the Generac in this size appears to be the same machine internally as this Westinghouse. Even the exterior design is the same; the only difference is the color, front panel and name slapped on the side. Pulsar and some others are the same generator in this size as well.

Not much in a brand name these days, with the exception of Honda and few others.

Attachments

• gen.jpg
    gen.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 43
  • gen2.jpg
    gen2.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 44
My neighbor got a Generac GP3000i inverter in the same suitcase design, with some sort of power boost (capacitor?) for surge loads. During last weekend's power outage here, he had it connected to his 10-circuit transfer panel running his fridge, forced-air natural gas heat, TV, and lights with no issue handling the load.

He had borrowed my old Honda EU2000i after hurricane Isiais last year and it had trouble starting his fridge while in Eco mode. Didn't trip the onboard circuit breaker, but browned out enough to reboot his cable modem.

He's happy with the Generac, except that it does not have a fuel pump and can't plumb in an extended-run boat tank like the Honda.

Bought a Westinghouse iGen2500 inverter generator (2200w rated) from Amazon. Amazon & Sam's Club both had it on sale for $450, which is $150 off the normal price. I snatched it up, the very next day they both went back to $599.00. What a lucky dog I am, I thought.

I had high hopes for this machine; I own their big dog wGen9500 dual fuel unit and have zero complaints. Wanted something more portable for camping trips and better fuel efficiency for longer duration power outages.
I have 2 of the Westinghouse 9500 Dual Fuel models, and both run like scalded dogs. I think you just got a bad one. It happens with ALL brands.... Even the beloved Honda's. If you go to the Power Equipment Forum there are countless problems guys post abut Honda's. Serious one's. Well beyond a leaky float bowl. So don't beat yourself up over it. I know it's a PITA, but it can happen to anyone.

Quality control is just not what it used to be. Do Honda's have an overall better performance record? Perhaps. But considering that you're paying close to a dollar a watt for the things, they better.

I do have to agree that the Harbor Freight lineup of Predator generators are excellent for the money. And Harbor Freight is everywhere. And they honor their guarantee. I would choose from their open frame inverter styles of gen sets. Cooler running, and easier to service. Albeit a bit more noisy.

These smaller inverter generators are everywhere now. They seem sort of hit or miss on quality and parts seem difficult to come by.
I have Yamaha ones, a EF2K and an ISEB3K, both have several hundred issue free hours. Oil changes kinda suck on them and I wish they had oil filters, but I've never had a single problem with either one of them.

I have 2 of the Westinghouse 9500 Dual Fuel models, and both run like scalded dogs. I think you just got a bad one. It happens with ALL brands.... Even the beloved Honda's. If you go to the Power Equipment Forum there are countless problems guys post abut Honda's. Serious one's. Well beyond a leaky float bowl. So don't beat yourself up over it. I know it's a PITA, but it can happen to anyone.

Quality control is just not what it used to be. Do Honda's have an overall better performance record? Perhaps. But considering that you're paying close to a dollar a watt for the things, they better.

I do have to agree that the Harbor Freight lineup of Predator generators are excellent for the money. And Harbor Freight is everywhere. And they honor their guarantee. I would choose from their open frame inverter styles of gen sets. Cooler running, and easier to service. Albeit a bit more noisy.
I should have updated this post, I gave the little Westinghouse another try via Amazon replacement. It’s been fine since. Handles a 2k load fine. At its max rating, it sounds too bogged down, but I don’t intend to load it that much.

It can be finicky on the first start after sitting for a month or two. Sometimes it will fire up on the second pull, other times require 5 minutes of cranking but will eventually come to life. Still think it’s worth the money assuming you get a problem free one.

I also own one of their dual-fuel 9500 units. I use it to make my 240V welder portable (and house backup if I ever need it) and it’s been extremely reliable and good running. Always starts quickly, handles whatever I throw at it.

I also own one of their dual-fuel 9500 units. I use it to make my 240V welder portable (and house backup if I ever need it) and it’s been extremely reliable and good running. Always starts quickly, handles whatever I throw at it.

I'm going to be doing the exact same thing. (Running a welder off it). Can I ask you what make and model welder you're going to be using off your Westinghouse 9500? I ask because this is a small, cheap Flux Core MIG unit I have, that I'm going to be running off my 9500 Dual Fuel. I just wondered if it bogs down much when you strike the arc, etc.?

I'm going to be doing the exact same thing. (Running a welder off it). Can I ask you what make and model welder you're going to be using off your Westinghouse 9500? I ask because this is a small, cheap Flux Core MIG unit I have, that I'm going to be running off my 9500 Dual Fuel. I just wondered if it bogs down much when you strike the arc, etc.?

I run a Harbor Freight Titanium Unlimited 200 on the generator. The manual specs show that it draws up to 36A at max output, so around 8600W. I've tried the max output, primarily to test the generator, and it does just fine. I wouldn't call it bogging down, but it's definitely working it when you first strike the arc and demand all that current suddenly. Once the arc is established, it smooths out and purrs like a kitten. At the normal welding currents I use (something like 220ipm wire speed @ 23-24V using .030 wire for MIG, or say 120A on stick [probably using ~3000 watts from the generator]), it doesn't break a sweat.

I tried a Vulcan Omnipro 220 (also from HF) and it would give me low voltage faults frequently-- that particular welder is microprocessor controlled (and has a fancy LCD screen and all that jazz), so I suspect it needs cleaner power than what a traditional non-inverter generator can put out. Definitely not a wattage issue as the Omnipro consumes 20% less power than the Titanium at max output. Strangely, I was able to get that problem to go away mostly by slowing the generator engine down some, which results in fewer AC cycles, IIRC it ran pretty reliably around 52hz, instead of the normal 60. I ended up returning it for the Titanium which is 100% reliable at the normal 60hz.

I don't think you'll have any issues at all with that flux-core machine.

Last edited:
I also have a Westinghouse iGen2200. It's been good with no issues. I ran the factory fill for about 5-6 hours and then Motorcraft 10W30 diesel for a week long camping trip last Fall. After the trip I changed to PP10W30. I used it the other day after an ice storm to power our fridge, chest freezer, and some lights for about a day. I burn wood , so didn't really need to boiler. If I did, I usually run it off our Champ 4K.

Back