How many things can go wrong with one new generator? Westinghouse igen2500

I always suggest that people strongly consider an open frame, quality conventional generator. The little Chinese suitcase inverter generators are neat, but they are not more efficient under load, and they are not more reliable. Nor are they easy to get parts for, or easy to service.

Yes, there are some quality, open frame, conventional units that are A) quiet, B) capable, C) lightweight

Furthermore, the little suitcase generators are 120v only, limiting their usefulness in an emergency.

Yep … and I like to J up a single cord into the high voltage 30 amp and have 4 “household“ plugs

668BB14E-55E6-4953-BA7D-CA908F7F7299.png

A step above the other Chinese generators is Champion. IMO they are just as good as the Hondas for a quite a bit less money. The advantage that they have over the other lower priced manufacturers is their warranty, an actual dealer network, and very good parts availability.

A step above the other Chinese generators is Champion. IMO they are just as good as the Hondas for a quite a bit less money. The advantage that they have over the other lower priced manufacturers is their warranty, an actual dealer network, and very good parts availability.
I have 2 x 3500’s and one 1500 … only issues have been a carb and pull start … both dirt cheap parts so I ordered 2 and have a spare …

Champion has a dual fuel suitcase inverter that I’m considering. Compared to the igen2500 unit I wanted, the Champion is only 80-something cc vs 93cc and power is 2000/1600 on gas vs 2500/2200 of the iGen.

I’ll be powering a fridge and small chest freezer, plus a few lights. Not sure if the Champion unit will suffice— any thoughts? It’s also about $150 more but the propane capability is a nice feature.

My B&S P2200 inverter gen has a 111cc B&S engine. I run it in ECO mode most of the time. Appears to be veery well built but it's about 8 lbs heaver than most others with small engines. Ed

I always suggest that people strongly consider an open frame, quality conventional generator. The little Chinese suitcase inverter generators are neat, but they are not more efficient under load, and they are not more reliable. Nor are they easy to get parts for, or easy to service.

Yes, there are some quality, open frame, conventional units that are A) quiet, B) capable, C) lightweight

Furthermore, the little suitcase generators are 120v only, limiting their usefulness in an emergency.
+1000

I really hate working on those things.

Champion has a dual fuel suitcase inverter that I’m considering. Compared to the igen2500 unit I wanted, the Champion is only 80-something cc vs 93cc and power is 2000/1600 on gas vs 2500/2200 of the iGen.

I’ll be powering a fridge and small chest freezer, plus a few lights. Not sure if the Champion unit will suffice— any thoughts? It’s also about $150 more but the propane capability is a nice feature.
For only $479 delivered at Walmart or Home Depot (only a little more that what you paid for the Westinghouse) you can purchase a 39 lb Champion 2500-Watt Suitcase Inverter Generator (Model #200950). https://www.championpowerequipment.com/product/200950-2500-watt-inverter/ It is a new model so they don't have it available on Amazon yet. Or, for about the same price as the dual-fuel 2000 watt Champion, you can purchase a Champion 4000 watt open frame Inverter Generator with electric start which will power most of your house. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KQ41H9Q The open frame will be a little bit louder at full throttle and obviously heavier, but it has wheels on it, it runs much cooler, and it will be MUCH easier to work on. For a little more money they also manufacture a dual-fuel version of this generator. Champion also manufactures larger 3100 and 3400 watt suitcase inverter generators in both gas and dual-fuel versions for more money. All Champion generators come with a 3 year warranty and lifetime technical support. No, I don't work for Champion, but I do have experience working with them and they are a 1st class company to work with. For the record, they are better and less expensive than the Predators IMO. Also, their quality control is on-par with the much more expensive Hondas and Yamahas IMO.

Last edited:
I won't buy a suitcase generator that isnt built by a motorcycle company.

I can walk into a Honda or Yamaha store in any city and get parts for 10 year old products off the shelf.

100% on that. I make the same recommendation to people. Any no-name fully "sound insulated" enclosed portable is a total PITA to do anything other than add fuel. My inlaws had a Powerhouse 3300 watt inverter style. It was a nightmare just to check and change oil on. I was so pleased when they let it go, when they sold the travel trailer it came with.

Open frame all the way. If you're in a situation where you camp a LOT or use them for your business, by all means go with a quality name brand enclosed unit.

Do you have a link for this?
My cord came with a 7500 watt PowerStroke generator … but I use it on the larger WGen … think you need a 7500 watt unit minimum so I’m puzzled by the picture albeit they make these in 2 plug and 3 plug cords too
… Anyway here is a similar cord at HD:

My cord came with a 7500 watt PowerStroke generator … but I use it on the larger WGen … think you need a 7500 watt unit minimum so I’m puzzled by the picture albeit they make these in 2 plug and 3 plug cords too
… Anyway here is a similar cord at HD:

That’ll plug into any generator with a 30a twist lock plug, so 3-4kw would max that circuit out as most generators should have a 30A breaker with that plug.

A cord/adapter with the 50A 14-50P plug would be better for the bigger generators that are equipped with it.

That’ll plug into any generator with a 30a twist lock plug, so 3-4kw would max that circuit out as most generators should have a 30A breaker with that plug.

A cord/adapter with the 50A 14-50P plug would be better for the bigger generators that are equipped with it.
I’m using a 230V x 30 amp for 4 x 110V on a 9500/12500 machine … my actual loads are well below since I consider percentage load for fuel consumption and heat of the equipment …
I like twist lock connectors …

Back when I did a lot of field work, we had multiple generators of all kinds of brands. That was a decade ago, and back then the small 2-stroke HF units would last one day and be done. I sure hope they have gotten better.

The Briggs units were OK but noisy, both in sound and the UPS's downstream would constantly be complaining about the quality of the power.

The Robin Subaru's were more reliable and quieter than the Briggs but noisier than the Hondas. The Hondas ran forever and never gave us any problems. We had everything from the 1000's, 2200's to the big 5000-7000 watt jobs. When I left we still had the same Hondas we had in the beginning. We had good techs so oil got changed after every excursion.

The propane possibilities are nice. I have an aftermarket propane carb which is a bit finicky, so if you got yours stock it would be adjustable under warranty.

It's too bad you got a lemon.

We camp with a Honda 2200, which we've probably used over 200 hours with one stretch of 24 hours it never shut off while running the A/C (extended run fuel tank). We have owned it for two years now and have found it to be flawless. It's more expensive, but with zero troubles it may be worth the extra cost.

I have one as well. Probably 12 years old.....Excellent machine. Starts easily and consistently. Great for camping out of the F150 in the backwoods. Runs forever. I use M1 0-40 in mine. I have a propane 16k Generac but that has been disconnected due to excavation machines running over the lines. I live on a small mountain that is all rock so 12" depth was best I could get the copper sleeved line buried.

I'm in NY and we don't get tornadoes often but we did! This little guy ran us basic fridge, kitchen light, and cell phone and laptop charging for 5 days straight. Never faltered. Worth the added expense if you will use it.

To update this, I ended up giving the Westinghouse another shot. The product came back in stock at Amazon about a month after they gave me a refund, but the price was $150 more. I called Amazon to ask if they'd match the price I'd paid previously so that I could get a replacement. They agreed and I received the unit a couple weeks ago.

Put some oil and fuel in it, one pull to start and away it went. I did a careful break in to about 10 hours. Only issue I had is when I inverted the machine to drain the oil, the fuel tank would not vent afterward. That caused it to die after running for a few minutes unless you removed the fuel cap. The issue resolved itself after sitting for 24 hours and I've learned not to tip it all the way over when draining oil, 90 degrees will suffice. This model (and all 2020 models > 80cc to my knowledge) has a charcoal canister to meet the new CAFE evaporative emissions standards. My suspicion is that turning it over floods the canister and keeps the tank from venting.

It's really a slick machine, the control panel is its greatest feature that sets it apart from the other cheap inverter generators. At a glace you can ascertain fuel level, load on the generator in kW, load percentage, run time remaining and unit hours. Holds the rated 2200W load just fine though the engine works hard for it.

This machine has the same internals as the smaller Generac inverters and a few other brands, must be made in the same overseas factory. Happy so far; for what I'm using this for it will be a good buy assuming it holds up.

Back