How many people here prefill their filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I do something a little different. I dont prefill my filters, but I pull the coil wire off while I turn the motor over. After2 seconds of turning the starter the oil light goes off. Plug wire in and whammo, oil pressure.

I never used to prefill the filter before coming here. I just started with my Chevy this last change, but won't be doing it on my wife's Civic, due to the filter position. The pressure does come back up much quicker, though.

I was amazed at how much oil that filter holds. I use an AC PF47, which is not a large filter. It took the better part of a quart to fill it.

I prefill my filter as it's location allows me to
smile.gif
.I get a good amount of oil coming out of the filter port due to it's vertical setup.

Better for start up I assume due to the total amount of oil I get from the filter and drainage(close to a quart).

I've prefilled my filters for YEARS.

On my V8 SB Chev, the filter mounts vertically from the bottom, so I can totally fill it up. On the Wife's Scort, it mounts horizontally on the side of the 4-banger block, but I can still get a pint or so in there and let the media absorb it.

I always use a quality filter (I stock up when I find them on sale), and M1.

I think yall are wasting your time. HAve you ever turned an engine over with the valve cover removed? The oil sprays instantly. I am not trying to start an argument, but the oil flows very quickly.

Without filling the filter it takes almost 10 seconds before you get oil pressure, if you fill it it goes up in 1. How is taking the 5 seconds to fill it a waste of time?

-T

In 55 years and 40 some cars, trucks, tractors,
I've never prefilled a filter.

In all that time I've never had an oil related
engine failure. In fact, I've never lost an engine for any reason, such that it wouldn't run.

I did ruin a 71 Dart /6 when I failed to recognize a problem that could have been easily fixed. After I fixed the problem, I drove it for another 5 years, until it lost oil pressure, again, caused by a non oil related problem. After fixing that problem, it ran fine, but the rings were shot and
it smoked something awful. I finally junked it when the frame rails rusted through and broke.
It was still running though.
Poor thing, it only lasted 117K miles.
crushedcar.gif

Wayne in Charlotte
patriot.gif

[ August 17, 2004, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: oldmoparguy ]

Pre-filling my oil filter cuts the amount of time it takes to get oil pressure up by about half.

Granted, this accounts for a very minute perchange of starts the engine will do, but if I can cut a few seconds of no oil pressure out of my engine's life, I am going to do it.

I also like the fact my filter's media has been 'wetted' by oil before pressure hits it.

Have I mentioned I'm anal?
lol.gif

quote:

Have I mentioned I'm anal?
lol.gif
[/QB]

You aren't the only one
wink.gif
Not 10 minutes ago I just finished draining my oil and changing the filter for the rinse stage of my ARX treatment. I was pre filling the filter before I even put the car on the jack stands to let it soak up as much as possible before installing it. After I fired it up, the oil pressure came up just as fast a if I'd never replaced the filter.

Waiting for that long, long 2 quart SDF76 amsoil filter to fill up with the oil pump is unthinkable to me. So, guess I'm anal too
tongue.gif

quote:

After I fired it up, the oil pressure came up just as fast a if I'd never replaced the filter.

This was also my observation when I pre-filled my filter, whereas it took several seconds otherwise. On a car with the filter mounted base-up, I now can't see why you wouldn't pre-fill.

quote:

Originally posted by toyo:
I think yall are wasting your time. HAve you ever turned an engine over with the valve cover removed? The oil sprays instantly. I am not trying to start an argument, but the oil flows very quickly.

Did that a few times with different SBC's. Now, this was not after an oil change, just for valve train adjustment. From engine light to visible oil flow was at least 2-4 seconds. I would think the interval would be longer after an oil change.

quote:

Originally posted by Darryl:
gtx510:

You run the engine with only a 1/2 quart of oil in it?

To each their own, but I won't even start my engine if its only 1 quart low, much less 3 1/2 quarts low
nono.gif

Just my thoughts, not an attack
cheers.gif

Darryl

have looked at this thread for a while....

Darryl
reread my post, I put 1/2qt in the filter...
and it stays in when you hold it upside down.

and, btw, most engines have long enough oil pick-ups that they can be a qt low

Before reading this thread I never did it either. But the first OC on the 03 Hundyi I did the engine and valves rattled after startup
gr_eek2.gif
pat.gif
I changed it again this week and filled the filter at least part way and NO rattle after startup.If the engine gets to the point of rattling when it can be avoided makes ($) cents to me.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by labman:
I prefill mine several times. Try it next time, fill it clear full and let it set a few minutes. The oil level will drop. I take the filter out and fill it with oil before I pick up the wrench for oil plug. As I go through draining the oil and removing the old filter, I keep adding a little more oil. By the time I am ready to put the filter on, it is about 2/3 full and holding. It sets at about 4 o'clock. I can get it on without spilling much.

This topic keeps coming up, and nobody else seems to really fill their filter like I do.

I'm with you- I fill mine 3-4 times throughout the change process so it's nice and full when I'm ready to put it on.

Alot of trucks (like mine) have external oil coolers that come stock. When changing the oil those lines are dry and have to be primed again before oil pressure can return. I fill my filter, and crank the engine over to regain pressure before starting.

Pre filling may not be that important, but it isn't much bother and less likely to create iatrogenic* problems.

*iatrogenic (iatro- + Gr. gennan to produce) resulting from the activity of physicians. Originally applied to disorders induced in the patient by autosuggestion based on the physician's examination, manner, or discussion, the term is now applied to any adverse condition in a patient occurring as the result of treatment by a physician or surgeon, especially to infections acquired by the patient during the course of treatment. Cf. nosocomial.

Yeah, I had to hunt for that word and definition.

quote:

Originally posted by toyo:

The oil sprays instantly because of the ADBV in the filter. Change the filter, and the oil in the lines up to the top will drain out.

Have you even turned your engine over with the valve cover removed after changing the oil filter?

I always pre fil mine--as said before, even in the horizontal ones, I can get them about 1/2 full by turning them on the side and spinning them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back