How many people here prefill their filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running the sd76 amsoil filters on my vehicles and always pre fill them. 2 quarts of oil is a lot of oil to pump before the engine gets any oil.

Originally posted by TallPaul:
[QB] I prefill.

Anyone who leaves it drain overnight should be aware they might lose oil pump prime. Happened to me and I didn't leave it drain very long. The fix is to squirt some oil into the hole in the filter mount next to the mounting stud (if you can reach it). Backfilling this hole also will force the used oil out of that passage and the pump, into the pan and out the drain (if still uncorked).

I'm a prefiller from way back too. As far as draining overnight, I agree with TallPaul- be careful. I had an old beater 79 Horizon once back in college that lost its prime and gave me a little scare. When I started it after an extended drain time, my dummy light would not go out and engine was a little noisy, so after I checked to make sure I had put in the oil, and the new Fram 3614 had not given up already, I started it back up and gave it a good jab to the gas pedal, and all was well again. That was the 1.7L VW-derived engine-a tough little bugger with well over 200k mi. when it was retired.

I always prefill/soak my filters. This includes cartridges and upsidedown mounted canisters.

You'd be surprised on how much oil a filter can hold before it actually leaks all over the place.

And, to make it less messy, fill and freeze the canister. Cold oil gives you more time for installing before it leaks.

I always pre-fill the oil filter, but only 2/3 to 3/4 full. My filter is installed vertically by the way. You can see the pre-fill difference when you first start the engine after the oil change. Look at the oil pressure gauge or the oil light. It will register pressure much quicker if you have 'pre-filled' the filter. I also always smear some oil on the gasket and on the center threads. Labman: someone above asked and I'll ask again- was the PBS TV show called 'Last Chance Garage'?

I pre-fill mine as much as possible as well. Didn't start doing this until a couple years ago.
The SHO filter sits at a bit of an angle, but I can still pack over half a quart of oil into a FL400S without spilling everywhere.

I have always prefilled em if at all possible. If I don't prefill the one on my truck it sounds like the crank is gonna fall out the oil pan!

I once had a pump lose it's prime. It was on a customers BMW. Even after removing the filter and getting oil to the pump it still wouldn't prime.

I told him that I was gonna have to remove the pan to put grease in the pump.

He walked to the car, started it and revved it to the moon! I couldn't believe my eyes! The pump did finally prime at around 5000rpm.

quote:

Originally posted by unDummy:
And, to make it less messy, fill and freeze the canister. Cold oil gives you more time for installing before it leaks.

Great idea. I would check how tight the filter is after the filter and engine's temps equalize. Also might wait a couple minutes for the oil to "thaw" before starting the engine.

I think some engines are prone to 'lose their prime' while others are less likely to lose their prime. I have not had a problem with Olds and Chevy V8's losing the prime even while draining over night. However, if you have an engine that tends to lose prime, you would not let it drain over night. The Buick 3.8 V6 is one of the later types. One thing you WON'T have to worry about at a 'fast lube' facility is 1./ they won't allow it to drain long enough to lose prime and 2./ They won't pre-fill the oil filter either. Two more good reasons to DIY!

I never did before joining this site, now I always prefill my Ranger's FL400S. My wife's car has an Ecotec motor with the crartidge so I can't pre-fill.

i never had a car lose its prime. i did however have a landrover which scared the **** outa me.
when we rebuilt the engine we couldnt get oil pressure no matter what. the pump has no prime and took 45 seconds of idling to get pressure upon first startup.

that was a tense moment!

1997 Z-71 pick-up uses pf-52
1998 Montona uses pf-47
1989 s-10 Blazer uses pf-52
I pre-fill all of my oil filters about 1/2 way. the truck is the worst as it is horizontal and at an angle.

Never have pre-filled an oil filter. I just started changing my own oil on my current cars, so I can't comment on the long-term aspects of it, but I used to help my father change the oil on all his cars. We'd never pre-fill the oil filters, and he never had any problems with the motors on any of his cars (transmission yes, but not the engines)... all of which lasted well past the 100,000 mile mark... and these were domestics from the 80s.

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:

quote:

Originally posted by Gerret:
I rinse my filters out with soapy water then re-use them.

You're joking, right?
freak2.gif

I'm guessing that he is, but there are reusable oil filters available...

http://www.vortexfilter.com/

Well I have to admit I did not on the VW 2.0 because I was in a bit of a hurry and completely forgot, the filter is nearly vertical mount so it is possible. However now I will probably do it, my stepfather (who taught me all I know about cars) would always prefill on the cars he could.

On my TDI it is a drop in cartridge type filter, I do fill the oil through the filter housing but it just I guess backflows through the oil pump and oil cooler so no prefill possible here.

quote:

Originally posted by sjlee:
[...]there are reusable oil filters available...

http://www.vortexfilter.com/

offtopic.gif

Whoa! Looking at the graphs that they provide, that thing has 57% (per pass) efficiency at 100+ Microns and the IC engine installation instructions say to replace your disposable oil filter with the Vortex filter. This company is totally irresponsible!

crushedcar.gif

I finally have an excuse to use my favorite Graemlin
smile.gif

[EDIT] Back on topic: Seriously, I do pre-fill my filters.

[ August 02, 2004, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: Gerret ]

I use to let my oil drain from the pan overnight until I really thought about it.

1) An installed drain plug creates a closed system. Removing the plug now exposes it to the outside air. Anything left overnight, outside, tends to accumulate water (notice the condensation on everthing early in the morning)

2) How much of a difference does letting your oil pan drip overnight versus an hour? Your car's engine is still holding a quart or more of oil.

And yes, I prefill my oil filters, regardless of the position.

quote:

Originally posted by MSF:
On my '97 Camry 4cyl the oil filter is inserted vertically (open end down) so pre filling would make a mess. I usually crank the engine a few times (after filling and replacing the filter)to pressurize the system and then start it up. Never hear any unusual noises.
On the otherhand, My '91 Mazda Protege LX (4cyl, dohc, 16 valve) had a problem during its first oil change. I couldn't get the OEM filter removed and it sat for ~12hrs with a dry crankcase/oilpan. When I did get the filter replaced and oil refilled it made some sickening knocking/pinging/etc when it was started. I freaked and had it towed to the dealer and they checked it out. No damage was caused but the oil pump lost its prime during the extended drain. That engine continues to amaze me after 178,000 miles!

Can you explain why the oil pump lost it prime for the extended drain?

Have never pre-filled, not worth the mess. Last two Hondas was on my back using one hand to put the filter on. Current Honda lean over the top of motor, can’t see anything but am able to use both hands. If I could get the car 6 ft above the ground I’d try it.

On my '97 Camry 4cyl the oil filter is inserted vertically (open end down) so pre filling would make a mess. I usually crank the engine a few times (after filling and replacing the filter)to pressurize the system and then start it up. Never hear any unusual noises.
On the otherhand, My '91 Mazda Protege LX (4cyl, dohc, 16 valve) had a problem during its first oil change. I couldn't get the OEM filter removed and it sat for ~12hrs with a dry crankcase/oilpan. When I did get the filter replaced and oil refilled it made some sickening knocking/pinging/etc when it was started. I freaked and had it towed to the dealer and they checked it out. No damage was caused but the oil pump lost its prime during the extended drain. That engine continues to amaze me after 178,000 miles!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back