How many of you have an aftermarket exhaust...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dynomax cat-back in my Cherokee...it was no more money than stock parts and much better quality. Not loud at all, in fact I noticed no difference in sound.

My Caddy has 3" duals with Dynomax catalysts, the largest mufflers that would fit the chassis (I think they're SUV mufflers), and a pair of glass-packs as resonators. It's quiet unless at WOT.

Liz's Grand National runs the turbo, a huge hi-flow cat, and 3" pipes with no mufflers...not loud at all unless she's pushing it; even then, the loudest thing is the spooling turbo.

My wife's wagon has the Subaru "aftermarket" SPT exhaust. This is same exhaust on someone's video. We love the power from it and Stage II Cobb. I want to gut the cats to turbo but need to get it tuned then.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Previous owner of my car had the Stasis downpipes & catback exhaust installed. Here's the setup (along with launch control mode).

Stasis actually engineered a special version for the S tronic cars. The gearing is different from the 6MT and people complained about drone, so they offered different downpipes and mufflers to make it more driveable. Cool to see a company do that.

yes indeed. IME only Corsa can give you that wonderful combo of spirited sound when the throttle is open and silence in the interior when it's driven easy.

Drone is a terrible thing, I've had some horrible stuff both from major aftermarket and the muffler man.

The setup on my Caddy manages that...it's amazing what a pair of resonators will do to quiet an exhaust system.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Previous owner of my car had the Stasis downpipes & catback exhaust installed. Here's the setup (along with launch control mode).

Stasis actually engineered a special version for the S tronic cars. The gearing is different from the 6MT and people complained about drone, so they offered different downpipes and mufflers to make it more driveable. Cool to see a company do that.

yes indeed. IME only Corsa can give you that wonderful combo of spirited sound when the throttle is open and silence in the interior when it's driven easy.

Drone is a terrible thing, I've had some horrible stuff both from major aftermarket and the muffler man.

It's because a lot of companies are not designing a true exhaust "system". I use that word because it has to do with engineering the correct tube size, merge angles, resonator size & type, and muffler size & type.

Slapping a muffler on some tubing doesn't always give the smoothest or most desirable sound.

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
I'll eventually replace the exhaust on my Si, but I'm going to be very careful as to avoid anything remotely "fartcan."

Does Mugen make any systems for them?

Yes, Stasis might as well be the Four Rings' AMG, they are so good, and top drawer OEM-like, at what they do.
thumbsup2.gif
wink.gif

I had headers and SLP Loudmouth 1 on my 94 Z28. LOUD, I sure as heck miss that car. I have a Flowmaster 80 on my Grand Am. Hate it, it sounds like a [censored] off bee hive. Thinking about a Dynomax Super Turbo on it.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
The setup on my Caddy manages that...it's amazing what a pair of resonators will do to quiet an exhaust system.

Agreed, as well as an X pipe or crossover on V engines.

The X is my cars factory secret. They use it both as a noise reducer and/or a reinforcement. It's open on my model and closed off on others based on marketing perceptions.

I recently had a Flowmaster Cat-back installed on my 98 chevy 1 ton truck with the 7.4L BB. It uses a fairly large muffler so it's not real loud but does let you know it is there. Sounds good to me. This system also increased my gas mileage and the engine idled smoother. The stock muffler must have been pretty restrictive.

I recently put a Ford Racing axle back system on my fiance's 2007 Mustang GT and it sounds good. It added a little more sound than stock but not too much. We took it on vacation to TX from MO in Sep. and at highway speeds you could barely hear it.

Wayne

I had just a shorty muffler on my old 302 F150. It was hard to order fast food at the drive through. I really like to listen through it going through the gears, but I was young and impressionable.

Nowdays I have my 98 Z28 with a cat-back. I can't remember what brand for the life of me, but it isn't loud unless I get on it real hard. It really screams then.

We took a trip there and back to Montana from Omaha in the Camaro. Cruising at and above normal highway speeds the exhaust note was always there, but not intrusive. A comforting growl. The wife thought it was pretty sweet, too.

^^^Random Tech maybe?? (They made the same system in both aluminized and 409 stainless, with two big slash cut 304 tips on them, like the Magnaflow system.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back