How many of you have an aftermarket exhaust...

Status
Not open for further replies.
2001 Trans am here. I used to like my car loud. Long tube headers, no cats, and an adjustible Borla catback. With no plate in the Borla's flange, it was like running an open cutout. Drove it that way for years. Now I have since closed up the Borla with the solid block off plate (really quiet even with the long tubes/no cats) and put an electronic cutout in the I pipe under the passenger seat. Best of both worlds. Quiet for driving around but can unleash all [censored] if I want.

I do but the local police pulled me over once saying aftermarket exhaust was not allowed.

Mine is aftermarket headers back to the tip of the exhaust.If I want to replace the muffler, do I have to get the exact diameter of the exhaust pipe? It is 2.25 inch.

I want OEM style muffler and do not want to have to replace all the exhaust.Is that possible?

Originally Posted By: DreamerGT
Not my dd but my Mustang has longtube headers,off road x pipe, and slp loud mouth.

I bet that sounds amazing

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: InvalidUserID
I have a 80 series Flowmaster on my Camaro. After I worked on the exhaust (headers, cat, I-pipe, flowmaster), it was my DD for about two years. I got used to it but now that I drive it a few times a month on the weekends, I realize how loud it is.

No no, 40's are LOUD
wink.gif

40 series sound nice
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
I have a 80 series Flowmaster on my Camaro. After I worked on the exhaust (headers, cat, I-pipe, flowmaster), it was my DD for about two years. I got used to it but now that I drive it a few times a month on the weekends, I realize how loud it is.

No no, 40's are LOUD
wink.gif

40 series sound nice
smile.gif

I had a set of "very broken in" 40's on my '87 GT with equal length headers and an off-road H-pipe. It also had 3.5" boom tubes. It sounded awesome.

This video is of my friend's Titan(I dont own the video) at the drag strip a couple weeks ago. He has Stillen Long-tube Headers, cat deletion, and converted the Y-pipe into true duals(I believe 3.5" or 4") with Magnaflows, so more or less 'custom' true duals. The run seen was about 14.9(he has a VKPro but needs to get a true tune like UPRev).

It's crazy loud in person, deep and throaty sounding. He gets better MPG on the highway cruzing now than with the stock headers.

Originally Posted By: kozanoglu
do I have to get the exact diameter of the exhaust pipe? It is 2.25 inch.

Is that possible?

Just buy a muffler with expandable bushings and look for one the same length as the one that is on there now too.

Originally Posted By: kozanoglu
Mine is aftermarket headers back to the tip of the exhaust.If I want to replace the muffler, do I have to get the exact diameter of the exhaust pipe? It is 2.25 inch.
I would get exact size, but best installations so I understand are welded not clamped. Is that 2.25 inch Outside Diameter? Need to know when ordering. Talk to the company rep as they can help you get the right muffler for your system. Before going Flowmaster, check out Holly (they own Flowtech--which is not same a Flowmaster).

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx

No no, 40's are LOUD
wink.gif

40 series sound nice
smile.gif

I had a set of "very broken in" 40's on my '87 GT with equal length headers and an off-road H-pipe. It also had 3.5" boom tubes. It sounded awesome.

Yes, they do sound awesome. Here is the 40 series Flowmaster that was just installed on my 2.3L Ranger:

Mustang has Mac headers,prochamber to flowmasters
Truck has pacesetter headers,then I had to weld a custom pipe out to the back
Harley has a V&H propipe
I rarely listen to the radio,I live for the sound of my motors rumbling

I have had my fair share of aftermarket/custom/hack job exhausts!

97-Maxima = Dremeled(took a whole lotta cut wheels!!!!) off muffler, ran a glass pack. 16 year old + Nissan + free time = Ricer
lol

97 M3 = Kept STOCK

97 Jeep = Cut off muffler

04 Rx8 = Catless mid pipe + MazdaSpeed exhaust = LOUD as &*%$

01 F250 = Cut off muffler, ran a straight pipe from the cat to the side of the cab, before rear tire. Looked real good with chrome dual tips. Sounded OK. V10 does not sound as good as a V8 IMHO. . .

04 LS = Cut off stock mufflers and welded in Flowmaster 40's. Sounded REALLY mellow and very nice. Best sounding system I have had.

11 Jetta = STOCK. Keeping it that way. I have had my fun.
Im happy with a simple, stock, well cared for car now!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

I like quiet cars. Everyone ignores them, and sometimes they will mistakenly assume that quiet equals slow. I spent a ton of money on my healey replica to make it quiet. i also have an 850 hp go-fast boat that is super quiet.

Me too. Can't stand loud cars as I drive a lot. Listening to a droning loud exhaust would get on my nerves. And then there's those annoying [censored] cans on 4 banger Civics and such that sound like someone fired up a 2 stroke weedwacker.

I love being incognito (as well as you can with a candy red car) and showing tail lights. All the while having your hearing and sanity. Today's OEM stuff is great as they want all the power and good MPG so they design the systems for that.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

I like quiet cars. Everyone ignores them, and sometimes they will mistakenly assume that quiet equals slow. I spent a ton of money on my healey replica to make it quiet. i also have an 850 hp go-fast boat that is super quiet.

Me too. Can't stand loud cars as I drive a lot. Listening to a droning loud exhaust would get on my nerves. And then there's those annoying [censored] cans on 4 banger Civics and such that sound like someone fired up a 2 stroke weedwacker.

I love being incognito (as well as you can with a candy red car) and showing tail lights. All the while having your hearing and sanity. Today's OEM stuff is great as they want all the power and good MPG so they design the systems for that.

Absolutely. Last time I was at the strip there were two guys who could not believe how quiet my car was versus the consistent 12's I was laying down.

I've had plenty of loud ones, now I really like quiet.

Yes, a relatively quiet but quick car is very impressive, but so is a really hot car that makes a lot of good sound. My purpose in a louder muffler is part to reduce restriction in the exhaust in hopes of better power and fuel economy, and in part because I like to hear it. My setup posted in the video above is pretty loud, but on the freeway I sometimes can barely hear it, and that with the windows up. I do not like a vehicle that is too quiet.

If you want LOUD, put a Borla XR-1 racing muffler on a 3.5"-4.0" V-8 system!!!

If it is the ONLY exhaust noise attenuation in the whole system (even with stock, cast iron, manifolds, and full functional catcons), your ears will be ringing in VERY short order, and your hearing capabilities will diminish VERY quickly.
frown.gif

I quickly got rid of mine, and replaced it with a very large Magnaflow (3.5" in/out) which is specced for BIG block V-8 motorhomes!
crazy2.gif

Throaty, but quiet at idle now, but still let's you know it's there at WOT.
cool.gif

I have a Stainless Works cat back on the Vic. Its all mandrel bent stainless 2.5" with X-pipe. Has their own brand chambered mufflers.

I like it, though it drones at highway speed. Im probably going to do some changes to it to mitigate.

One thing is it has these huge 3.5" dia 18" long tips. I think they are contributing to the noise situation. Basically like megaphones. Im going to change it to turn downs and keep it 2.5" all the way back.

Interesting thread, and good reading. One of the cars I had in the past had an aftermarket exhaust (was on the car when I bought it) that sounded decent but had way too much drone around 2000 RPM. Would set off alarms in parking garages creeping in second gear. Pretty annoying in that case and at 50-55 in 5th.

I've been debating getting an exhaust for my WRX but like many posters here I don't want a loud car -- just want some of the engine sound (which I really like on this car) to come through better. The turbo has a nice muffling effect on its own, of course. I think I have an exhaust picked out but I'm not sure I want to pull the trigger because if it's too loud I know I'd regret it!

I've only had one car with a modded exhaust, my 1997 SAAB 900 2.0l turbo. I bought it used in '03 and the previous owner had replaced everything behind the downpipe, deleting the OE resonator and switching to a Magnaflo muffler with a tasteful but rather large diameter tip. I then replaced the stock downpipe w/ a larger one. It was a little throatier but being a turbo car, not obnoxious by any means.

I'll eventually replace the exhaust on my Si, but I'm going to be very careful as to avoid anything remotely "fartcan."

Previous owner of my car had the Stasis downpipes & catback exhaust installed. Here's the setup (along with launch control mode).

Stasis actually engineered a special version for the S tronic cars. The gearing is different from the 6MT and people complained about drone, so they offered different downpipes and mufflers to make it more driveable. Cool to see a company do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back