How many of you have an aftermarket exhaust...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a re-done y-pipe (2.25" into 3", stock was 2" into 2.5"), 3" cat and 3" Flowmaster 70, with 3" tailpipe on the Jeep. It's not all that loud, although it's not super-quiet. It's got a little bit of a resonance around 1800 - 2300 at about 1/4 - 1/3 throttle. If you give it more gas, it actually gets a bit quieter. That is soon to be corrected with some dynamat, which will bring the cabin back to being pretty quiet (although I'd still like to hear the engine a little).

From the outside, it's noticeable, (usually leading to dirty looks from older female pedestrians), but not obnoxiously loud, and it's not loud at idle.

On my 2001 F150 w/ 5.4 I cut the factory muffler out and put the smallest Magnaflow muffler I could (Magnaflow 11236) on it. At idle it was barely louder, just enough to make you wonder. Acceleration again made you raise an eyebrow and cruising was quiet as stock. If you leaned on it, you KNEW it was not stock. It was just the right combination of aftermarket and annoyance.

Don't care for loud cars. I'd rather it was quieter and had good tone. I love a V8 rumble, but I don't need to hear it miles away. volume does not equal POOOOWWWEEEEERRRRRRR. Which is why ricers drive me insane. My cruze is quiet. IT's audible from the outside on moderate acceleration, but not any more so than any other car.

^Well, Cruze with big can is just not right anyway.That will look ricer for sure.
I can understand modified intakes and exhaust on supercharged and turbo cars, sport sedans (like EVO or WRX), coupes and performance cars, but civics and other econoboxes--just makes me laugh
smile.gif

When I had my 2003 Saturn ION, I had an exhaust system built, using some 2.5 inch mandrel bent U pipes cut to shape, the longest 4 inch round Magnaflow muffler, and a Flowmaster Hushpower. It was loud, but the power gain was great.

Later, I took the Flowmaster Hushpower muffler off, and installed the largest Dynomax Super Turbo. The car was now barely louder than stock, but just as powerful as when it had the Flowmaster Hushpower.

I learned one thing: Hushpower is a stupid name for that muffler.

I have a Racing Beat axle-back.

It's not loud at all. Deeper mellow tone but not loud. No reverberation problems.

The mountaineer got the third cat deleted and upsized to 2.5" from the Y inlet to after the muffler. Tailpipe is stock 2.25". Muffler is a DynoMax SuperTurbo. All welded. Only noticeable under acceleration in 1st-3rd gears. 4th and 5th is silent. Wife is mad though and I'm probably gonna hafta add a 2nd muffler inline there somewhere to please her. MPG's went up a bit since the new exhaust got installed.
IMG_9369.jpg

IMG_9365.jpg

The Cobalt has a Magnaflow system.

It was too loud for me and the resonator started rattling, so I replaced the resonator with a larger cylindrical muffler and added a muffler insert as well.

Now it's nice and quiet cruising but a bit louder than stock while accelerating. I don't really think it sounds better than stock... I think the 2.2L Ecotec is just not an engine that's meant to be heard.

At least with the fully stainless system I don't have to worry about rust.

Originally Posted By: NateDN10
The Cobalt has a Magnaflow system.

It was too loud for me and the resonator started rattling, so I replaced the resonator with a larger cylindrical muffler and added a muffler insert as well.

Now it's nice and quiet cruising but a bit louder than stock while accelerating. I don't really think it sounds better than stock... I think the 2.2L Ecotec is just not an engine that's meant to be heard.

At least with the fully stainless system I don't have to worry about rust.

None of the ecotec engines really sound very good if you ask me lol. The 1.4 has a bit of a growl to it, but I wouldn't say it sounds good really.

Originally Posted By: Rumble
It's not a daily driver, but my 1979 Cadillac Coupe de Ville has a modified Hooker system that was designed for late '80s Chevy Monte Carlo S/S models (and Buick Grand National). The mufflers are Walker "Impala S/S" versions that were also used on police cars. The Magnaflow catalytic converter is a type used on 1982 Corvettes (flange type w/3" in and out). Flows great yet is not loud, sounds just right. Did all the work myself (and was a pain in the rearo to do, lol).

exhaustv.jpg

That's some beautiful work for 'in the driveway' type of stuff. Generally exhaust is the one thing I farm out unless it's just a bolt on system. My local muffler man is a wizard, and really does beautiful work.

I like quiet cars. Everyone ignores them, and sometimes they will mistakenly assume that quiet equals slow. I spent a ton of money on my healey replica to make it quiet. i also have an 850 hp go-fast boat that is super quiet.

Most stock systems these days are very well engineered and difficult to really get much more power out of. Typically you need to retune as well for best/safest performance.

4 cylinder engines can sound really good. I was at a track day with a c5 Corvette, some 6 cylinder BMW's including an M3, a Honda s2000, and a few other performance cars.

The 2 best sounding cars were the Corvette and the S2000 - both with stock exhausts. It was really hard to believe, but the S2000 sounded alot like a small block chevy. It really did. It had a deep growl/rumble. Nobody there could really believe it, especially when the owner said it was the stock exhaust. It was really eye opening.

Whatever Honda did to make that low, deep tone, they should do for all of their 4 bangers, though the S2000 exhaust would be a little too loud for the normal consumer.

I had a cat and back thrown on my 318 back in '05. Magnaflow cat and Flowmaster 50 series.

I was more into hoping for fuel economy improvement than adding any power, or perceived power. Perhaps there is a minute economy improvement. It is an overweight campervan with a stock 318 so there is no point in seeing if there really was a power increase. It will still be slow.

I liked the healthy burble at first, but now wish the exhaust were much more quiet.

When the tech took a sawzall to my stock y pipe, he started laughing. This is what he found:
ypipe.jpg

That photo was taken after he'd pushed his finger through more of the blockage.

I have a Comptech catback unit on my 2004 Civic, but to be honest I've sort of grown out of loud exhausts and prefer the silence of the OEM units on my other two cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back