How many of you have an aftermarket exhaust...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Borla Cat-backs on my 98 chevy Z71 and my supercharged 2004 Monte Carlo SS. On the truck, the sound is pretty noticible over stock but on the car, not so much. The 3800 V6 just doesn't sound that great but the 5.7L in the truck sounds great.

Wayne

Working on it. It was a goal for this year, but I wont be able to do it until next year.
I have the long-tubes headers and matching cats ($1400!) I just need the cat back ($1100!) to go with.

5314238971_6f3c714334_b.jpg

apexi world sport 2. Deep and quiet sounding exhaust. Love it. Barely any louder than stock inside. Sounds so smooth from the outside.

video drive by. friend drove and did a bad 2 to 3 shift.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v402/calcal55/?action=view&current=MVI_1021.mp4

Last edited:
I have Gibson cat back on my Frontier. Its a little louder then the stock exhaust but not too loud. It also gave the exhaust a deeper tone.

Originally Posted By: Racerjk
The Walker/Dynomax Super Turbo is the best muffler IMO. They flow well,are quiet at idle,and they sound good too. They really open up when you nail the throttle. They would do well on a daily driver.

I agree. That a secret most don't know. I use the 3 inch stainless version on my turbo projects. They are, without a doubt, the best combination of value, sound, low restriction and tone.

I've done some manometer testing and the 3 inch version always outflows competitive mufflers.

I had an "aftermarket" exhaust on my old Jeep Cherokee before I donated it to charity a few years ago.

When I got it (for free), the muffler was shot and the cat was fouled up with oil blow-by (infamous multi-tube CCV system on the '87 Rennix FI 4.0L).

Out came the angle grinder and cutting wheel. In went straight pipe and a glasspack.

Most odd sounding Cherokee you ever heard. When I fired it up, people would stare and when I got on it well you can imagine what it sounded like with nothing but a glasspack.

It was never intended to be anything other than an in-town utility vehicle (trips to Menards) and as an in-town severe winter weather vehicle. After the glasspack was installed, there was no way anyone was driving on the highway. The exhaust noise inside the vehicle was somewhere between extremely irritating to deafening at highway speeds. You could just barely hear the stereo over the roar.

But it was certainly fun driving around in something that looked and sounded like it was delivering death to your doorstep - flat black primered rattle-can pain job with 2 of the side windows "blacked out" as they were replaced with sheet aluminum painted to match the flat black body because the windows were broken when I got it and it was a no-cost fix for me to use the aluminum rather than replacing the glass.

Had a friend suggest it wouldn't look out of place in some 3rd world warzone if I stenciled UN on the side.

Last edited:
I put a Dynomax Super Turbo cat back system on my 2001 Ranger 2.5L. I was a little nervous about putting exhaust on that truck since it was an I4, but I read reviews of the Super Turbo online and they generally seemed very good.

It had a nice low tone. No flatulence noise. It wasn't a great deal louder or different sounding from stock, it was just a deeper note with much larger pipe and a smaller muffler.

A lot of people did notice the exhaust though, for better or worse. One guy with a Frontier at a car wash asked me if it was supercharged...that was good for a laugh since it was an otherwise stock 119 HP engine under the hood. Cops noticed too and liked to pull this truck over noticeably more than my other trucks.

Overall, it was a good upgrade to the truck. Looked nice, sounded decent, and certainly didn't hurt MPG (though I don't know how much it helped). I don't think it was obnoxious at all, and the older guy who bought it from me didn't seem bothered by the exhaust at all.

I just use stainless steel reproductions of the original exhausts for my cars. Chryslers and Buicks are more reserved and classy. I leave the "loud pipes" for the Dodges/Fords/Chevys, etc.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
It was really hard to believe, but the S2000 sounded alot like a small block chevy. It really did. It had a deep growl/rumble. Nobody there could really believe it

I really can't either, since small-block Chevys have a cross-plane crankshaft and the S2000 has a 180-degree crankshaft. But I do agree that the S2000 can sound throaty and deep, especially if it has an aftermarket intake. Induction noise is a beautiful thing my friend
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
Originally Posted By: david_ES2
Greedy EVO 2 on the 04.... sue me
I believe it's Greddy not Greedy...

Maybe he paid too much.

I've had a Borla catback on my '93 MX6. Installed in 2001 when I bought the car with 81k miles - currently at 335k. I think I have a leak in my flexpipe, now though (in front of the cat). Catback has held up wonderfully and never droned on the freeway. If it gave me a 0.1 mpg increase b/c of "efficiency" or whatever, I think it paid for itself.

I have had all kinds of mufflers on various cars when I was younger. The increased sound was cool at first but then grew tiresome. Now I prefer the sound of a modified intake to modified exhaust.

Originally Posted By: Racerjk
The Walker/Dynomax Super Turbo is the best muffler IMO. They flow well,are quiet at idle,and they sound good too. They really open up when you nail the throttle. They would do well on a daily driver.

That is what I put on my '04 Colorado.

I wanted to increase flow, MPG's if possible, but didn't want a loud exhaust because it's a 5-cylinder and I now have a 2 year old with one on the way. Anyway, I put on a Magnaflow high-flow cat along with a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler. I couldn't be happier with it. Flow is obviously better and the sound is just right. I notice it being a bit louder, but most probably wouldn't. It's exactly what I wanted.

I'd highly recommend the Dynomax Super Turbo to anyone that wants better flow w/o tons of sound.

By the way, between this modification, M1 AFE 0w30, and a tune-up at 90k (currently at 112k), I'm getting the best gas mileage I've ever had in this truck.

http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers.php?muffler=superturbo

muf_super.gif

Last edited:
Think I put the Dynomax on the Aerostar and didn't care that much for the sound,maybe it's the 3.0 engine though. But love the sound of the Raptor (as mentioned before) on the pickup:
RaptorMuffler_ZOOM.jpg

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
But love the sound of the Raptor (as mentioned before) on the pickup:
good to know that these $20 mufflers are decent. I might add one to the Mounty in front of the DynoMax to please the wife.

one of the kids I worked with a few years ago had a Raptor muffler on his SOHC 2.3 Ranger.

It sounded like an M151 Military Jeep.
lol.gif

I have a 80 series Flowmaster on my Camaro. After I worked on the exhaust (headers, cat, I-pipe, flowmaster), it was my DD for about two years. I got used to it but now that I drive it a few times a month on the weekends, I realize how loud it is.

Originally Posted By: InvalidUserID
I have a 80 series Flowmaster on my Camaro. After I worked on the exhaust (headers, cat, I-pipe, flowmaster), it was my DD for about two years. I got used to it but now that I drive it a few times a month on the weekends, I realize how loud it is.

No no, 40's are LOUD
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back