How many miles is a late Honda V6 good for?

I own a 2012 Honda Accord I bought new and currently it has 43,000 miles on it. It is my first Honda I have had zero problems with it so I decided to keep it for the long haul! Just wondering how long(miles) this engine is good for and also the automatic transmission it is paired with(4 or 5 gear auto?). So far I have done 2 tranny drain and fills(15K and 30K, brake, coolant and power steering flushes(36,000 miles)and oils changes ever 5K using M1 0w20 and WIX oil filters and WIX engine air and cabin filters every 20K miles.
That is all I have done. I'm hoping for 300,000 miles. What else should I do to make sure this car remains reliable and trouble free for a long time. Thanks for any input!

As long as you change the cambelt at recommended intervals, there's no reason you won't see 300K out of that engine. The J series v6 are extremely reliable.

They do have some issues with launching spark plugs (make sure they are tightened) and some camshaft issues with the VCM (use good oil).

Even the 6 speed autoboxes are good.

I would keep doing what you are doing, these newer J35 V6 engines are prone to VCM issues with the possibility of consuming large amounts of oil. Mobil 1 is a quality oil and should keep things clean, keep changing it out at your current interval. You have the 5 speed auto w/ overdrive. Its great that you are doing those drain and fills, your transmission will thank you! My procedure for Hondas has always been a drain and fill once a year. If you don't have the VCM issues and you treat your car with care and keep up on maintenance I don't think 200K trouble free miles out of the major components would be an issue.

I'd say keep doing what you're doing because it seems solid
thumbsup2.gif

I also follow 5K mile OCIs on my VCM V6 because these engines are hard on oil.

So I have the 5 speed auto tranny? Will it last as long as the engine? Also what is a J series engine? Mine is a J35? What exactly does that mean? I have no oil burning issues with the VCM so far. The dip stick stays full between 5,000 miles oil changes. Thanks guys!

Originally Posted By: PeterGreen
How did you detail that engine compartment so nicely? sweet!

Its not too complicated. My method is to hose down the engine bay with a garden hose, then mist a mixture of dish soap and water on to all surfaces. Brush down with a tire brush then rinse off. Dry with a leaf blower (at this point I stop because I dont like the shiny finish that attracts dust), but you can top with tire shine if you like.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
What else should I do to make sure this car remains reliable and trouble free for a long time.

I own a 2007 Hond Accord V6 6MT 4 dr sedan. I've had some problems with the 6 MT but like you I think my car is a candidate for the long haul.

On a trip through North Dakota a few years ago a deer ran out of the ditch and dented the driver's side from front to back. Although it received pretty good body work, it isn't as good as factory and may limit the life of the car.

My point being there are issues that could affect the life of your car that are beyond anyone's control. Having said that I'm also taking care of the car as well as I can and hoping for 20 years or 300,000 miles. I got 18 1/2 years out of a Volvo 740 Turbo and 15 years (so far) out of a BMW 528i. And the Accord may do more.

All depends on how its maintained and driven. Most engines nowadays will go 200k with minimal maintenance.

IDK 20 years or so, you will grow tired of it and trade it off long before than.

Engine life is not the limiting factor to car life anymore, everything else breaks, or in areas that use salt they rot out.

Our junkyards in the Northeast are full of perfectly fine running motors in rotted out bodies.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Sorry, but Million Mile Joe's Honda is a 4 cylinder, not the V6.

"My 1990 Honda Accord LX had the 2.2L four-cylinder F22A1 engine which was the first year of fuel injection and an all- aluminum engine."

http://www.millionmilejoetour.com/QAwithJoe.aspx

I think you're right, the 4 cylinder will probably last longer. If I'm forced to replace mine (rust on all that body work, described above) I'd buy a I4 6 MT 4 dr, currently the Sport.

Fair warning over hosing off todays engines.
STOP DOING IT NOW!
If you want a clean engine wipe it down with a rag & simply bottle spray the areas you want clean but DON'T SPRAY YOUR SENSORS OR ANY ELECTRONICS.
Hosing today's engines down like older rides causes newer vehicle engine sensors/electronics to rust/corrode quite fast so they fail much sooner. Especally lemon or acidic cleaners but just plain hard water leaves calcium build up that greatly effects today's parts.
I've even seen hydraulic timing belt tensioners totally siezed from corrosion/rust because the cars owners pressure washed their engines. Basically the soapy water got behind the timing cover and corroded parts that allowed their timing belts to come off the pulleys and destroyed their engines.
Trust me you really need to keep soapy water out of your newer cars engine bay today or pay the price tomarrow!

Your Accord with the V6 is like a completely different car than one with the 4 cylinder. I have both and the 6 will run away from the 4, quick, fast and in a hurry. The 6 might not last as long as the 4, but it will be a lot more fun getting there.

Fair warning over hosing off todays engines.
STOP DOING IT NOW!
If you want a clean engine wipe it down with a rag & simply bottle spray the areas you want clean but DON'T SPRAY YOUR SENSORS OR ANY ELECTRONICS.
Hosing today's engines down like older rides causes newer vehicle engine sensors/electronics to rust/corrode quite fast so they fail much sooner. Especally lemon or acidic cleaners but just plain hard water leaves calcium build up that greatly effects today's parts.
I've even seen hydraulic timing belt tensioners totally siezed from corrosion/rust because the cars owners pressure washed their engines. Basically the soapy water got behind the timing cover and corroded parts that allowed their timing belts to come off the pulleys and destroyed their engines.
Trust me you really need to keep soapy water out of your newer cars engine bay today or pay the price tomarrow!
Bringing back a 6 year old thread just to post some wrong advice? Engines today have well sealed connectors and electronics. Have pressure washed over 100 without a problem.

I had an 07 Accord that we purchased brand new. Zero problems and we ran it to about 90,000 miles and still sold it for 10 grand with a new timing belt, water pump and tensioner as well as a belt. 300,000 miles is nothing for a V6 Honda engine. As others stated the body and other parts will go out first if you want to drive it to a million miles.

Back